Grimmy getting closer??

livivoice

44 minutes ago, livivoice said:

Anybody else feel that Grimmy is getting closer to his first goal for us?

In last few games he's not just getting further up the park but he is getting shots on target.

Put his energy and commitment into a number of the others and we would be ok.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Walker86 said:

Can't fault the boy. He's played well the last few games out of positon especially after a ropey start to the season and wee while out of the team. Prone to the odd daft moment but he is a handy player with graft and energy. I'd love to see him do a job at CDM when Carroll is back.

Jesus, the guy couldnt pass water and You want him in midfield?! Mental

Cant fault his attitude, unfortunately he is meant to be a professional footballer so he needs more than just a great attitude. Cant control a ball, cant pass, and cant even take a proper throw in. It tells You everything about Robbos recruitment when someone like this is first name on the team sheet, as he often is

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Cant fault his attitude, unfortunately he is meant to be a professional footballer so he needs more than just a great attitude. Cant control a ball, cant pass, and cant even take a proper throw in. It tells You everything about Robbos recruitment when someone like this is first name on the team sheet, as he often is

Sorry you disagree. A bit harsh from you. I'm not saying he is the perfect player in midfield but any errors I see him make is due to the fact he is not a natural fullback on either flank. His positive attributes imo are better suited to midfield. You don't train as a youth player in midfield at Man U if it isn't your position.

33 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I agree about Grimmy...his attitude and work rate can rarely be questioned but that's pretty much where his positive attributes end  I'm afraid

I like Grimmy.  As has been stated already his attitude and effort is unquestionable.  I have no qualms about him being brought back to the club nor the decision to extend his contract a couple of times.

Whilst there is a good argument for quality over quantity you do still need *some* versatility in the squad. He has played right-back, is currently playing left-back and it isn't so long ago he was trusted as a defensive midfielder in a Cup Final so he undoubtedly provides that to a decent standard.  And I would suggest what he's doing now is exactly why he is here as we await the return of Jake Carroll.

Where the questions mark would arise for me is if he is required for an extended period then something isn't 100% right.  Like just now when we have required to revert to a back-to-basics approach where organisation and attitude is perhaps more important than flair and creativity. He is in the team now as much for what he brings to the team through  his character as his ability. Or last season when he featured at right-back for a good while because we had Carroll and Dunne out and needed to shift Tait across. 

Would he be a starter in my first eleven? Probably not. But I'd have him in my squad for as long as he wanted to be at the club.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I like Grimmy.  As has been stated already his attitude and effort is unquestionable.  I have no qualms about him being brought back to the club nor the decision to extend his contract a couple of times.

Whilst there is a good argument for quality over quantity you do still need *some* versatility in the squad. He has played right-back, is currently playing left-back and it isn't so long ago he was trusted as a defensive midfielder in a Cup Final so he undoubtedly provides that to a decent standard.  And I would suggest what he's doing now is exactly why he is here as we await the return of Jake Carroll.

Where the questions mark would arise for me is if he is required for an extended period then something isn't 100% right.  Like just now when we have required to revert to a back-to-basics approach where organisation and attitude is perhaps more important than flair and creativity. He is in the team now as much for what he brings to the team through  his character as his ability. Or last season when he featured at right-back for a good while because we had Carroll and Dunne out and needed to shift Tait across. 

Would he be a starter in my first eleven? Probably not. But I'd have him in my squad for as long as he wanted to be at the club.

Good post Andy.  He is a squad player no more no less. But he can play in midfield. One glaring weakness of our set up has been the full backs have been horrendously exposed with a lack of midfield cover. In the absence of decent wingers he could provide protection on one side or another. He also brings drive, commitment and abrasiveness to the central midfield; qualities that have been lacking badly in recent weeks, as Allan Campbell has gone off the boil.  

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

and it isn't so long ago he was trusted as a defensive midfielder in a Cup Final so he undoubtedly provides that to a decent standard. 

A memorable performance it was as well

The first one is terrible play. The second one is what you would expect if you took a  random Motherwell fan off a bus and gave them a start in midfield. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Grimshaw and a few others that aren't good enough at this level have made a good living off our generosity at handing out wages from not much return.

I'm sure there are young guys at the club that can give you enthusiasm and might even make a pass once in a while.

Nothing against him personally but if you are 4 seasons in at a club and you aren't a stick on first teamer then its time to move on.....or get moved on.

Keeping senior players on that aren't good enough for the first XI in insanity and one of the reasons our squad isn't good enough.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Grimshaw and a few others that aren't good enough at this level have made a good living off our generosity at handing out wages from not much return.

I'm sure there are young guys at the club that can give you enthusiasm and might even make a pass once in a while.

Nothing against him personally but if you are 4 seasons in at a club and you aren't a stick on first teamer then its time to move on.....or get moved on.

Keeping senior players on that aren't good enough for the first XI in insanity and one of the reasons our squad isn't good enough.

Here, here...we are a soft touch in so many ways. Similar to the Lasley must stay in some capacity, nonsense 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:20 AM, Shaka said:

In a nutshell.  Get shot of pdq.

4 hours ago, El Grew said:

In a nutshell.  Get shot of pdq.

Among this bunch I’d have his name on the team sheet as well. If having the right attitude is his only good point, he has one more good point than a good few of the others on show at the moment. Although I’d have him at right back with O’Donnell in front of him

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:55 AM, Ya Bezzer! said:

Harsh, but I have to admit, probably accurate. 

I love Grimshaw's attitude and wish it was infectious, but the only real reason I can see to keep him is if we end up in the Champioship next season, where he might find it more of his natural level.