Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

29 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

More than 6 wins in a year?

Half decent football?

Players with a professional attitude?

Any kind of entertainment value?

I'm surprised Robinson went now and I think he was due a few more matches but while things can always get worse it's pretty negative to assume that they will when  the worst was looking very likely anyway.  The whole 'let's blunder along and accept anything that's not total failure' attitude is one that I think has infected our thinking in recent times and needs to be curbed.

And if we do get relegated Robinson had half a season in charge and will have to bear half the responsibility.  He only accumulated 17 points and put together a squad that is pretty uninspiring. If his replacement can't better Robinson's points legacy we will definitely be in trouble.  

In the meantime I'll hope, probably in vain, of getting in a manager that views Motherwell as a top level professional club rather than a kick and rush lower league outfit.  Motherwell FC should be a lot better than they are right now.  We need someone to come in and raise the base line standards.  They haven't been good enough for a while.

On Stephen Robinson, I have sympathy for him but at the end of the day he's left because he's recognised before a lot of others that things simply weren't good enough.

You can snip out the rest of what I wrote to try and change its meaning, but it's still there for everyone who can read.

Or are you claiming Malpas and Baraclough were good appointments and Gary Holt is worth a shout? Or maybe you think hiring a new manager in the middle of a season is not a risk?

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Given the current squad and time of year it would be prudent to bring in a safe pair of hands to see us through until the end of the season.

Similar to when we brought in Craig Brown - he knew what he was doing and got the most of the squad.   To be clear I'm not stating Brown but someone in that mould . 

Now if he'd only resigned a couple of weeks ago we could have asked Sam Allardyce... :)

Not sure if we should get a short term manager in or a longer term...

If we end up relegated then we could have to say goodbye to a long term manager, if we go short term, then we could be bringing in players a new manager doesn't want.

4 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Given the current squad and time of year it would be prudent to bring in a safe pair of hands to see us through until the end of the season.

Similar to when we brought in Craig Brown - he knew what he was doing and got the most of the squad.   To be clear I'm not stating Brown but someone in that mould . 

Craig Brown was an excellent appointment.  And for me he essentially set the template for the success McCall had.  When McCall had to come up with his own ideas I think he was found lacking a bit.

However in that period we were losing money hand over fist.  We don't have the monies (or rather the facilities for debt) to do what we did back then.

With all due respect to Robinson I think he was pretty basic tactically and was a product of lower league football at Bournemouth and Luton in the 1990s and 2000s.  We should be looking for a more astute type of coach who's not tainted by a background in physical, long ball, minimum technique style football.

We need a bit of forward vision at the club, personally as a long term fan I've been feeling deflated recently about our club.  I'm looking for something to buy into rather than just watch short term 'get a result' (and often not getting it) kind of football.  

Right now we are moribund.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Craig Brown was an excellent appointment.  And for me he essentially set the template for the success McCall had.  When McCall had to come up with his own ideas I think he was found lacking a bit.

It always surprises me when I'm reminded McCall followed Brown. For some reason the Stuart McCall era still feel s fairly recent to me, yet Brown feels a lifetime ago. It's posts like that that make me need to check there wasn't a manager or 2 in between.

15 minutes ago, Richie said:

Robert Maaskant was on that list.

Former player who was managing in Eredivisie.

IIRC was he not touted before?

Yes he was.

Tommy Wright favourite @ McBookie, Las 2nd, Mo Ross 3rd. Then the list gets scary, Derek Adams, Craig Levein, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the token crazy name. Simo @ 10-1 , but he only recently took over the reigning Finnish champions so he's out. Big Mitch @ 16-1, but he's doing a pretty good job at Ajax U21's so cant see him either

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

You can snip out the rest of what I wrote to try and change its meaning, but it's still there for everyone who can read.

Or are you claiming Malpas and Baraclough were good appointments and Gary Holt is worth a shout? Or maybe you think hiring a new manager in the middle of a season is not a risk?

Ha ha ha.

I snipped out the point I disagreed with in order to counter it.

While you make up stuff in the form of questions and take a hissy.  I never in any way claimed any of those things.

But for your benefit and all that. Malpas wasn't good enough.  Baraclough wasn't good enough.  Robinson is more of a mixed bag but ultimately he's not been good enough for a while and, hand on heart, some of the worst football I've ever seen at Fir Park was the absolute void of football between Moult leaving and Turnbull breaking into the team.  And it looks like we were heading back that way but don't have a Turnbull to pull out of the bag.

Gary Holt, not for me, but currently we are in a situation where we just need new ideas and a new guy to come in.  Plenty people where holding their nose when Hughes was appointed at Ross County but who knows how it will turn out.  I doubt they would have beaten Hibs with Kettlewell in charge.  So hypothetically if Holt was appointed I think it could go either way, even though he wouldn't be my choice.

As I said, I think Robinson was due a few more games on past achievements but on our current trajectory (P28 W6, points average 0.82 per game) I don't really think it would have been a huge risk to change manager.  There was a settled pattern over a long period, we aren't talking about 5, 6 or even 7 or 8 games it's a years worth of football.

6 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Yes he was.

Tommy Wright favourite @ McBookie, Las 2nd, Mo Ross 3rd. Then the list gets scary, Derek Adams, Craig Levein, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is the token crazy name. Simo @ 10-1 , but he only recently took over the reigning Finnish champions so he's out. Big Mitch @ 16-1, but he's doing a pretty good job at Ajax U21's so cant see him either

THEN the list get scary.

Tommy Wright is everything eye bleedingly wrong about Scottish football.  

And I think I hate Craig Levein more than anyone ever in history.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Cheers, I wasn’t sure if they had clamped down on it. So the managerial world is our oyster!

I guess it depends on whether a few individuals would want to travel at this point. Add in family and it may put a few off.

We rarely go with the obvious choice, or pick from the usual suspects, but on this occasion I just can't see past us sticking with who we have internally by going with Lasley and moving Ross up to assistant. Las was apparently close when Robbo ended up with it, if I remember correctly, and he has all the badges. It is also the cheapest option. Livi went a similar route and it has worked for them so far. 

I understand the need for new blood, but unless some experienced manager like a Steve Clark or Craig Brown type applies, I'm not sure if we will be up for the risk of a left field guy this time around. 

52 minutes ago, Bilyboy600 said:

Would any one take nijholt as the next manager  only a suggestion 

Nijholt's last managerial job was Meizhou Hakka in the 2nd division in China back in 2016. He lasted just over six months. 

Before that his last managerial job was Stormvogels Telstar in the Dutch second division from 2005 to 2008. 

So, he has zero credentials besides being a good player for us thirty years ago. 

10 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I guess it depends on whether a few individuals would want to travel at this point. Add in family and it may put a few off.

Yes I think you are right, travelling could be an issue to some. Makes me think that it will be someone who is already based in the UK. 

28 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I wonder what effect the COVID-19 travel restrictions will have on appointing a new manger? Surely it rules out any foreign based coaches from taking the hot seat?

please please no foreign coaches ,,,,, someone who knows the scottish games ins and outs    remember hertz forward thinking german coach   daniel { fuckin } stendall    beware 

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

please please no foreign coaches ,,,,, someone who knows the scottish games ins and outs    remember hertz forward thinking german coach   daniel { fuckin } stendall    beware 

If we're limiting ourselves to managers who know the Scottish game inside out then we're going to end up with one of the usual suspects, which is about as uninspiring as it gets.

Just now, David said:

If we're limiting ourselves to managers who know the Scottish game inside out then we're going to end up with one of the usual suspects, which is about as uninspiring as it gets.

as long as they keep us up to start with ,, there must be a decent forward   thinking young manager in he lower divisions , or even an old one like  GORDO DALZIEL  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha