Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

The mods deleting Jumbo's thread is tragic. There was some hilarious stuff in there, Comical Ali has nothing on David and Yorkyred in the denial stakes! Congratulations Jumbo some of us will always remember how you made Robinson resign. 

Anyway we just need to wait and see with the new manager. I'm feart of relegation so Tommy Wright and a decent centre half to play with Dec would be enough to keep us up and keep me happy. 

Long term we are fucked as we have no youth coming through and the only player in the squad contracted for next year who is any good is Watt so it's going to take a while to repair from Robinson's reign of signing dumplings. 

Certainly not the answer at the moment, but if we appoint someone to the end of the season  with a view to getting someone new in over the summer, I'd go for someone like Damien Johnson or Billy Barr at Blackburn. They've done a great job with their youth and under 23 setup.

Or if we wanted to be really ambitious go for someone like Andy Myers at Chelsea. He spent time as assistant coach at Vitesse in Holland as well as coaching the Chelsea under 18’s and development squad.

You’d imagine any of those guys would have contacts with clubs down south, and knowledge of who we could sign or loan from the youth teams in England. They'd also fit with our aims of promoting players from within, and have a track record of cultivating youth.

I’d rather that kind of appointment than the usual pish we see up here.

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The mods deleting Jumbo's thread is tragic. There was some hilarious stuff in there, Comical Ali has nothing on David and Yorkyred in the denial stakes! Congratulations Jumbo some of us will always remember how you made Robinson resign. 

Anyway we just need to wait and see with the new manager. I'm feart of relegation so Tommy Wright and a decent centre half to play with Dec would be enough to keep us up and keep me happy. 

Long term we are fucked as we have no youth coming through and the only player in the squad contracted for next year who is any good is Watt so it's going to take a while to repair from Robinson's reign of signing dumplings. 

Hey, glad to see I have a fan steelboy, I’m just a glass half full type of guy, prefer that to constant negativity.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I didn't want Robinson out just yet but changing the thread title/deleting it all together is proper snide behaviour.

At our level, a lower/middle ranking Premiership club, we are never going to be successful by playing open sexy football. We simply cannot go toe to toe with the league’s top sides. If we want any measure of success on the field, it will have to be founded on character, physicality, hard work, organisation and tactics. We can look back to the likes of Tommy & Jim MacLean. Teams founded mainly on being hard to beat but absolutely dire to watch. What talent we have will come through the youth system.

In our current predicament and in the short term we need to steady the ship by whatever means necessary. Make sure the good ship Fir Park remains in the Premiership.  Then longer term develop our youth system to feed sales, as we have been doing successfully for a few years now.  

For me, until the end of the season we need to build from the back and make us hard to beat. Forget about playing attractive football. Excitement doesn't equal points on the board. These factors should shape our search for a new manager. Maurice Ross and Keith Lasley will hit the ground running as they know the club and players, if they are appointed, but what role have they played in the team’s demise this season? We just don't know.

The club will probably take a different line as it has done in the past. Interesting times.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

At our level, a lower/middle ranking Premiership club, we are never going to be successful by playing open sexy football. We simply cannot go toe to toe with the league’s top sides. If we want any measure of success on the field, it will have to be founded on character, physicality, hard work, organisation and tactics. We can look back to the likes of Tommy & Jim MacLean. Teams founded mainly on being hard to beat but absolutely dire to watch. What talent we have will come through the youth system.

In our current predicament and in the short term we need to steady the ship by whatever means necessary. Make sure the good ship Fir Park remains in the Premiership.  Then longer term develop our youth system to feed sales, as we have been doing successfully for a few years now.  

For me, until the end of the season we need to build from the back and make us hard to beat. Forget about playing attractive football. Excitement doesn't equal points on the board. These factors should shape our search for a new manager. Maurice Ross and Keith Lasley will hit the ground running as they know the club and players, if they are appointed, but what role have they played in the team’s demise this season? We just don't know.

The club will probably take a different line as it has done in the past. Interesting times.

The next 2 Saturdays will be the acid test as to whether Las and Ross were part of the problem or if they were as frustrated as the fans and had no real say in tactics or line ups 

We will either come out the traps flying because a weight has been lifted or we will get more of the same. Whatever happens will tell us a lot about the players and how we approach appointing a new manager.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Craig Brown was an excellent appointment.  And for me he essentially set the template for the success McCall had.  When McCall had to come up with his own ideas I think he was found lacking a bit.

However in that period we were losing money hand over fist.  We don't have the monies (or rather the facilities for debt) to do what we did back then.

With all due respect to Robinson I think he was pretty basic tactically and was a product of lower league football at Bournemouth and Luton in the 1990s and 2000s.  We should be looking for a more astute type of coach who's not tainted by a background in physical, long ball, minimum technique style football.

We need a bit of forward vision at the club, personally as a long term fan I've been feeling deflated recently about our club.  I'm looking for something to buy into rather than just watch short term 'get a result' (and often not getting it) kind of football.  

Right now we are moribund.

What makes you think Craig Brown was an excellent appointment? I don't disagree that he was the right man at the time to steady the ship but from memory we were 5th when he started and 5th when he left.  I remember a good few thumping at the hands of Celtic on the way through as well and his brand of football was never scintillating (6-6 v Hibs apart) and I don't remember him having a forward thinking vision. Was it not Gannon that signed the players that Craig Brown worked with? He was a steady pair of hands. Maybe that alone made him an excellent appointment at the time?

What interests me about the comment is that Scottish managers just seem to get a fairer, more measured evaluation from our support generally without much more to show for their efforts. 

I am never a fan of the clamour for ex players but I did feel we missed the boat on Van der Gaag at the time Baraclough was appointed. 

He may not even look in our direction but would be the kind of appointment that would spark my enthusiasm once more and he has had success in Holland and Portugal. 

That apart, a Brownesque appointment like Tommy Wright might be the safe option that could keep us in the league. Pragmatic if not ultimately hugely inspiring. 

I was massive McCall fan but wouldn't have him back as manager.  However as assistant to a younger manager would appeal to me.   I still dont understand the resentment to Tommy Wright,  he not only gave fans a great day out....they actually won the cup also.   However I am still going leftfield for Darren Fletcher with McCall as No.2

3 minutes ago, livivoice said:

* Proven managerial track record.

* Knows Scottish football.

* No nonsense ( and how!!)

* Desperate to rekindle his managerial career.

* Ex - Motherwell player.

* No compensation involved.

Step forward Billy Davies.

The guy who paid out huge amounts of money for past their best players (and relations) and drove us to administration. Sounds like plan.....

7 minutes ago, livivoice said:

* Proven managerial track record.

* Knows Scottish football.

* No nonsense ( and how!!)

* Desperate to rekindle his managerial career.

* Ex - Motherwell player.

* No compensation involved.

Step forward Billy Davies.

probably better with     malky ( txt mad )  mckay