Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

would you if you were rangurs ???? half a season played and approx 45 mins played 

Maybe loan him out to another club where he will get more game time ? Championship level would make sense.

5 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Naturally I expect a "Lasley out" thread on here tomorrow at 15:01

Not quite Goggles but almost. If we fail to win tomorrow, arguably the easiest of the next 4 games, that'll be a severe dent to his hopes in the eyes of the Board, if what we've read in the media is correct.

Lasley is part of the furniture at Fir Park as the saying goes. But I feel it would be a lazy option to appoint him. I think the Sun article is lazy. Why would we wait for 4 games to see if he has what it takes. What if he does not ? 

Tommy Wright would seem an obvious option but would it be more of the same. A safe pair of hands possibly but if we have any ambition I would want us to go for someone who has shown promise like a Graham Alexander or Danny Cowley however unlikely that may be. 

As long as it is not Levein then he will have my support. I suspect a lot longer than the likes of Yodo...

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Lasley is part of the furniture at Fir Park as the saying goes. But I feel it would be a lazy option to appoint him. I think the Sun article is lazy. Why would we wait for 4 games to see if he has what it takes. What if he does not ? 

Even if the story of the 4 game test is true, surely the Board will be pursuing other options Iain, as an insurance policy.

Lets see how we get on tomorrow, but if the board and players think lasley is up to it then I'd be happy with that appointment. He is his own man and we shouldn't hold the fact he has been assistant to robbo against him. Robbo was assistant to mcghee and baraclough and that appointment turned out alright - and drastic changes were made once he took over. I know he had only been back a month or so under mcghee though.

Las was a great captain for us and knows the club inside out.

Part of the failure was not finding a clear leader on the field who can take them by the scruff of the neck and get something going. He may never have won the EPL but I'm thinking of Gerrard and how he could rise up and take charge by his own example. We need a manager who can find and develop such a player. Las was sometimes able but never quite did it.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Las is a legend and win tomorrow would be magic of  course but I feel a total fresh input is needed

Agree with that. When teams go stagnant, as unfair as it may be, the assistant has to take part of the blame. It's rare that a number two succeeds when a gaffer is sacked/resigns due to poor performances.

Assuming there is at least an average level of talent in the squad, a lot of the problems often lie in the psychology of a losing streak. As a result, an outsider with a new attitude and fresh ideas can make a positive difference that an insider cannot.

Of course, if Las does take over, I hope he has massive success.

1 minute ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I honestly think it will be Lasley and with no 2nd string games Ross sort of joint manager til end of the season.Its a pretty weird one as we all like Lasley part of me doesnt want him to get the job to see him fail badly but i would love for him to prove me wrong.

Assuming Las had input into the first team I can't conceive that he's the right person to move us forward.  I seem him as a mini Robinson rather than having his own clear vision. 

He'll need to set us up very differently in formation/personnel to convince many that he's the way forward.

We don't know the nature of the working relationship under Robbo. He may have actively encouraged input from Las and Mo or he may have been very autocratic. We just need to look back to the Butcher/Malpas era. Many of us thought that Malpas was the brains behind the management team with big Terry assuming the army corporal role. In fact it was the other way around. 

What we do know though is that more of the same won't do today. We're looking for signs of changes to the personnel; changes to players' attitudes; changes to formation; and changes to tactics.  That will give us some sort of clue as to Las's ideas.

For several reasons its a must win game.   Win and Las's stock will rise; lose his managerial prospects will nosedive.

12 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Assuming Las had input into the first team I can't conceive that he's the right person to move us forward.  I seem him as a mini Robinson rather than having his own clear vision. 

He'll need to set us up very differently in formation/personnel to convince many that he's the way forward.

You just never know, Robinson was back up to two failed managers and did ok in my view.

Based on nothing more than a hunch, I got the impression that Robinson delegated a little more as time went on, reflecting the trust he had in his staff. 

Going into this period of interim management, I wonder if Lasley has Mo Ross’ full support as the latter has never been shy in stating his ambition to return to management. 

1 minute ago, couttsy said:

After today we need to act quickly. Tommy Wright being the obvious. Knows the league well, has kept St Johnstone out of trouble for years, will bring an organisation and determination. 

Dull but sensible choice simply for his ability to organise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, couttsy said:

After today we need to act quickly. Tommy Wright being the obvious. Knows the league well, has kept St Johnstone out of trouble for years, will bring an organisation and determination. 

While it wouldn’t be a deciding factor it’s worth noting iirc that Wright fell out with the one player that is performing for us. 

Huge decision ahead for Burrows and the Board and it would be nice to hear from them. Rightly or wrongly, I always had faith that Robinson would keep us in the league. Who knows what lies ahead now though, we are in a very fragile position and the non-response from the players today adds to the concern.