Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

57 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Anyone who thinks Robinson did a good job needs to Iook at what he has left us and get back in touch with reality. 

He's laughing all the way to the bank and we are heading to the lower leagues. 

Did McCall do a good job? Cos he left us headed for the championship with a squad of dross as well.

Now isn't the right time to reflect on Robinson, its too raw. 

This kind of thing happens, when you gamble on lower league hidden gems you'll have runs of good and bad luck, this year has definitely been bad luck.

Though there's something to be said about recruiting players the way you'd buy scratchcards.

I would hope that the board will make a quick move as boy we are in trouble, the problem the confidence is rank rotten at the moment.

Having discussed who would be new manager with fellow Well supporters there is one candidate who might suit us and nobody was against him being Manager and that was Malky McKay, I am sure he would want to be back in club football again plus I am sure he would have plenty contacts, whoever gets the job he will certainly need to steady the ship which is not an easy task.

The league situation is salvageable, with or without the magic covid points because, just like last season, other teams are conspiring to be worse than us.

However, we're in a position where our best players (for what it's worth) are most likely going to be sold or on pre-contracts elsewhere over the next couple of weeks, and we only have a couple in the squad who will be affected by relegation, since so many are out of contract at the end of the year. We are then going to try and salvage things with loan signings, which isn't going to do much to improve the commitment factor. So whoever our next manager is is going to need to be a motivational genius, or a terrifying bastard.

My heart sank a bit  when I heard the report that  the players' choice was Keith Lasley: that kind of talk over the years has always made me a bit suspicious  that players just want an easy life. I think a completely fresh start is required now. Right now, after that "performance", I'd employ Vlad The Impaler if it got them to give  a flying fruitbat.

I'm not sure we have enough decent players to get us out of this hole, so an appointment needs to be made soon so that we can ship players out (to League 2 or the Juniors, presumably) and in.

Normally the thought of Tommy Wright as manager would have me reaching for the Aberlour 12-y-o but  someone who can grab players warmly by the throat and organise them into a streetwise bunch who don't give in easily may be our only option in these circumstances.

That's how bad things are at the moment

After a deep breath, the reality really does come screaming home. The rot set in at the start of the year. I wrote on hear calling for a statement of strategy from the board / Robinson when we sold on Turnbull and received the money from Scott, which I think we were entitled to as a fan owned club ie. What did we intend to do with our biggest transfer fee/fees? 
Instead, we got White and Lamie. 
This is a situation that is 100% of our own making and goes beyond Robinson into a lack of strategic management at board level. 
We should/must have the financial power to get ourselves out of This mess however that starts with a vision and a clear statement. 
I won’t hold my breath however I would like to hear from Burrows before the weekend is out. What’s the plan? If the plan is to support Lasley (who has been a great club servant and should be treated properly) and bring in a couple of loanees then the clear out needs go much higher than the dugout.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mfc said:

I think we're in need of experience to come in and hopefully steady the ship,tin hat on time,I would maybe favour mcleish over tommy wright.

Would never want to see McLeish anywhere near our club again. 

Talk about a manager wasting money on transfers, there is your man. 

A media darling whose reputation far outstripped his ability. Ruined a decent Motherwell team, and  was heading the same way with Hibs. There was horror stories of player indiscipline at Rangers and yet he managed to maintain a good reputation in the Scottish game. His second spell as Scotland manager I think is a fair reflection of his capability. 

I would take his Aberdeen playing partner Strachan over McLeish any day of the week. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I would hope that the board will make a quick move as boy we are in trouble, the problem the confidence is rank rotten at the moment.

Having discussed who would be new manager with fellow Well supporters there is one candidate who might suit us and nobody was against him being Manager and that was Malky McKay, I am sure he would want to be back in club football again plus I am sure he would have plenty contacts, whoever gets the job he will certainly need to steady the ship which is not an easy task.

i mentioned him yesterday,    we can only ask,   a small wage is better than no wage and as you say he needs to rebuild his stock      come on malky you know u want to  :danced:

8 minutes ago, smiddy said:

i mentioned him yesterday,    we can only ask,   a small wage is better than no wage and as you say he needs to rebuild his stock      come on malky you know u want to  :danced:

He wouldnae be allowed to post on here to Dodgy 

50 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

This is the concern for me.

So disastrous has today been that it ramps up the pressure on the board. If they had aspirations of leaving things in Keith Lasley's hands to keep things ticking until things naturally ran their course to the new manager's appointment then that might well be under question following today.  The danger is that they panic and get hurried into making the wrong appointment. 

Equally though warning signals must surely have been flashing today that they cannot afford dally unnecessarily as it is evidently vital any new manager gets as much time as possible to work with the team, and make use of whatever budget and time that remains in the transfer window following their appointment.

23 minutes ago, star sail said:

Would never want to see McLeish anywhere near our club again. 

Talk about a manager wasting money on transfers, there is your man. 

A media darling whose reputation far outstripped his ability. Ruined a decent Motherwell team, and  was heading the same way with Hibs. There was horror stories of player indiscipline at Rangers and yet he managed to maintain a good reputation in the Scottish game. His second spell as Scotland manager I think is a fair reflection of his capability. 

I would take his Aberdeen playing partner Strachan over McLeish any day of the week. 

FFS McLeish indeed. The guy makes Joe Biden look compus mentus! He quite clearly has issues and should be nowhere near a managerial job, for his or the clubs sake.

Im not sure who we need to be honest. The right guy is probably well outwith our price range because its going to be a huge job. Even moulding his own squad is gonna be an issue with us having shite like Grimshaw, Lamie, McGinlay & White still contracted for another year and every capable footballer at the club out of contract in the summer.

For me, Danny Cowley is the man Id want out of all available coaches at the mo. Did an Incredible job at Lincoln City & rescued Huddersfield from the drop. Has a phenomenal knowledge of the English Lower Leagues too! His football style may be a bit "agricultural" for some, but we would have an organized and motivated team. Outwith that, it needs to be Tommy Wright, who has enough about him to keep us up. Any other name gives me the fear, because this squad is a fucking disgrace to top level professional football.

When Tony Watt, a guy who has floated round europe for the last 5 years with a majorly questionable attitude, is the one player in your team who looks to be trying, you know there are major issues

New manager needs to be in place by end of the week and he’s going to have to crack the whip like never before. 

A goalie (if Carson is out), a centre half, a midfielder and a striker minimum are required.

Cole, Polworth, Gallagher, O’Donnell, Long and anyone else who doesn’t want to be here should fuck off now! Seedorf, Hastie, Chapman, Mugabi, Lamie, McGinley and White who are never good enough for this level need to leave now also.

None of this “trying to improve players bullshit”. Folk that continually sold the jerseys and let the club down need emptied now. 

And not a chance we’d be having these conversations if Hartley and Tait were still in the building. We fucked up majorly there.

• Like 1

Hartley was toast at this level and most on here agreed. I'd have kept tait though, but he chose not to accept the contract, so not much we can do there. 

I can't say I'd be disappointed to lose anyone in the current squad, but I don't expect a large scale clear out. We might end Hastie's loan, and loan out or come to terms with one or two, but a lot depends on whether other clubs would want our shite players.

For me i wasn't fussed that tait and hartley left,we had as good as we were going to get out of them,its what we have replaced them with,terrible players with zero character or leadership.we definitely miss hartley for his leadership alone, remember him sticking one on imrie after a game against accies,i would happily have seen that from one of our players today rather than the heads down defeatest attitude were seeing now.

23 minutes ago, milo said:

New manager needs to be in place by end of the week and he’s going to have to crack the whip like never before. 

A goalie (if Carson is out), a centre half, a midfielder and a striker minimum are required.

Cole, Polworth, Gallagher, O’Donnell, Long and anyone else who doesn’t want to be here should fuck off now! Seedorf, Hastie, Chapman, Mugabi, Lamie, McGinley and White who are never good enough for this level need to leave now also.

And not a chance we’d be having these conversations if Hartley and Tait were still in the building. We fucked up majorly there.

Was just going through the squad with the Red Pen of Death and reckon we have 16 players and that's including Hussain, Johnston, Devine and Cornelius.

Absolute priority has to be a left sided midfielder, a striker who can actually score, and a goalkeeper.  That's only a start but what absolutely needs to be done tomorrow for us to have a fighting chance.

I have to say thought I disagree about Tait and Hartley.  We've hardly kicked a ball since James Scott left and Tait and Hartley where here when this terrible run started back in January.

Fresh blood desperately needed.

Mcleish, McCall and Mackay, fuck me. I hope these names are just out there to make the actual choice seem more palatable. 

Why on earth does Barry Ferguson keep popping up on these manager lists?  Davies too, he's a head case. 

I could see McCall happening because of his relationship with the club, but I'm definitely not for that one. 

I must admit I don't really have a preference, outside who I don't want, mainly because I've always assumed it would be Lasley. 

Malky McKay, while a clown, would be a good shout if he's looking to get back in to club management.  

I've loads of time for Keith Lasley and wish he was going to be the answer but I can't see it. As everyone else says he's part of the regime that lead to this and we need a new face.

Player wise I only hope we can move some players on to let us bring in the fresh blood.  What we need depends on what the new gaffer wants to do (and how bad Carsons knee is). 

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

So disastrous has today been that it ramps up the pressure on the board. If they had aspirations of leaving things in Keith Lasley's hands to keep things ticking until things naturally ran their course to the new manager's appointment then that might well be under question following today.  The danger is that they panic and get hurried into making the wrong appointment. 

Equally though warning signals must surely have been flashing today that they cannot afford dally unnecessarily as it is evidently vital any new manager gets as much time as possible to work with the team, and make use of whatever budget and time that remains in the transfer window following their appointment.

I made much the same point elsewhere Andy. We must not appoint a new man (unless one has already been targeted) in the next day or two but equally this can't drag on for weeks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milo said:

Cole, Polworth, Gallagher, O’Donnell, Long and anyone else who doesn’t want to be here should fuck off now! 

I don't get a sense that these players don't wan't to be here.

Cole isn't good enough but puts in a shift (I don't know why we brought him back tbh) 
Polworth isn't playing well but that doesn't mean he doesn't care.
Gallagher and O'Donnell are both putting in a shift.
Long, I know has faults but he's been played out of position. A natural centre forward who we played out wide.

I hope they all stay and we bring in a few decent signings and  a decent gaffer (not one of the Scottish merry go round wasters) 

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

That’s Lasley had a go, presumably Mo Ross gets next week and finally Hammell gets a shot.  By then we will have found someone to take us forward.

I genuinely can’t think of anyone who is a natural fit.

At this point Wright.

4 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Personally I hope not.  Surly the board can find better than him. 

I just think as things stand he’s a safer choice, good reputation and experience at this level of Scottish football, he knows what it’s all about and did well at a similar size of club. I’m not a fan of his football but Motherwell are not going to suddenly turn into world beater under any manager. Other  than that it’s other Scottish managers that have failed or taking a punt down south which for me is more of a risk. He was not my first choice initially but the more I think about what we need the more I think he fits the bill.