Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

On 1/2/2021 at 10:00 PM, Ped_MFC said:

My heart says avoid Wright as the way his teams at SJ played would make your eyes bleed.

Head says he's the most obvious choice to ensure we're still in the top flight come August. We need someone to grab these guys by the scruff of the neck, get them organised and (hopefully) motivated .

I totally disagree with this St Johnstones play under him would make your eyes bleed, Christ almighty does no one watch the way we play. Wright at least masterminded a Trophy win we can master mind getting past the first rounds. St Johnstone quite often played us off the park under him. Hes worth a punt in my eyes. He knows the Scottish game inside out. 

11 hours ago, milo said:

I don’t think Wright would be interested in Motherwell. Too similar a gig to St Johnstone. 

We are nothing like St Johnstone. He couldn't sign a single player at Perth without one going out. The chief executive at St johnstone made his working life impossible. According to the Sun tonight we've approached him and hes interested.

It's possible that getting Wright would mean that Lasley stays. I don't think he has a long time assistant that he would demand come with him.

If its Wright, I'm fine with it. I'm not sure how much of the negative style stuff is true, and how much is just scottish football being shite, but he made an utterly boring football club that I always forget exists successful, so he has skills. 

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

You mean when he played with his knee in bits to help his Manager out. 

Are you Mrs McManus ?

Having watched him play im surprised to hear that both his knees weren't in bits

He did turn up at Ibrox right enough,for that he gets my eternal gratitude .

44 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Reported when I lived/worked in the North East that Aberdeen matched the salary offered by Sunderland that has the ire of plenty up there who always expect more.

Would dwarf the sum mentioned.

To be fair I forgot they gave him a new contract when the Sunderland / Rangers carry on was happening. 

Still, makes no difference to us. We will be paying £150k max, and prob closer to £100k

13 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

It's possible that getting Wright would mean that Lasley stays. I don't think he has a long time assistant that he would demand come with him.

If its Wright, I'm fine with it. I'm not sure how much of the negative style stuff is true, and how much is just scottish football being shite, but he made an utterly boring football club that I always forget exists successful, so he has skills. 

I suspect the board will want to keep Lasley and Tommy would be the ideal man for him to learn from.  Also, he’s within our wage bracket and knows the Scottish game very well. 

I hope we don't bring in a new manager based having Lasley as his assistant. It would be hard on Las (unless we can keep him around in a different capacity), but the hard fact is that when you are an assistant you tend to get hired and fired in pairs.

I wouldn't want Wright for a number of reasons. The biggest one being his complaints before he left St Johnstone that the board weren't giving him enough money. If he thought the budgets were tight in Perth he'd struggle at Fir Park.

If we are doing a 6 month contract with a view to a broader search in the summer, then maybe Wright would work, but it feels like it would be more of the same. It seems to me like we need someone to lighten things up and bring in a bit of positivity and, at least in his interviews, Tommy does not strike me as being that guy.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:48 PM, milo said:

New manager needs to be in place by end of the week and he’s going to have to crack the whip like never before. 

A goalie (if Carson is out), a centre half, a midfielder and a striker minimum are required.

Cole, Polworth, Gallagher, O’Donnell, Long and anyone else who doesn’t want to be here should fuck off now! Seedorf, Hastie, Chapman, Mugabi, Lamie, McGinley and White who are never good enough for this level need to leave now also.

None of this “trying to improve players bullshit”. Folk that continually sold the jerseys and let the club down need emptied now. 

And not a chance we’d be having these conversations if Hartley and Tait were still in the building. We fucked up majorly there.

Ha ha, I missed this first look around.

I look forward to seeing this motivational script on the gym walls in the South Stand in the next social media video.  Sign for the 'Well where you can look forward to "none of this trying to improve players bullshit" :lol:

9 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Ha ha, I missed this first look around.

I look forward to seeing this motivational script on the gym walls in the South Stand in the next social media video.  Sign for the 'Well where you can look forward to "none of this trying to improve players bullshit" :lol:

You can’t polish a turd with many of them! lol

How long would it take to bring Mugabi, Lamie, Chapman, White, Seedorf, Hastie to a competent level? 

1 minute ago, milo said:

You can’t polish a turd with many of them! lol

How long would it take to bring Mugabi, Lamie, Chapman, White, Seedorf, Hastie to a competent level? 

Fair comment, I just thought it an amusing variation on the theme I remember from the Turnbull documentary.  Made me laugh anyway.

Just now, Andy_P said:

Fair comment, I just thought it an amusing variation on the theme I remember from the Turnbull documentary.  Made me laugh anyway.

I knew what I meant but I was in full blown ranting mode when I wrote that! (Clearly)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, milo said:

For me, giving him (Lasley) to the next 3 games is too long to wait, we need the new guy and new players in well before then.

Absolutely. IF rumours are to be believed ie John Kennedy, Tom Wright, and Simo Valakari have been approached then it would seem that the club is going down a different route this time and so it should. The new man, whoever it is, needs to be given some time to conduct his own transfer dealings this window. We don't have the luxury of being able to cast our net wide, advertise and take our time - I suspect many candidates, or their agents, have already contacted the club. I'm not sure Keith Lasley's "4 game trial" is appropriate in the circumstances especially given Saturday's debacle.  

Someone mentioned on twitter that Tommy wright was pretty negative about the club during the coleraine game. I dont remember the commentary as such however they also mentioned Tony Watt, Tony Watt has been the only real stand out this season. Technically he is levels above anyone else at the club, hopefully Tommy Wright doesn't set him back again if he was to get the job.

41 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. IF rumours are to be believed ie John Kennedy, Tom Wright, and Simo Valakari have been approached then it would seem that the club is going down a different route this time and so it should. The new man, whoever it is, needs to be given some time to conduct his own transfer dealings this window. We don't have the luxury of being able to cast our net wide, advertise and take our time - I suspect many candidates, or their agents, have already contacted the club. I'm not sure Keith Lasley's "4 game trial" is appropriate in the circumstances especially given Saturday's debacle.  

I am not saying it is total bullshit but anything from the Sun and Record I take with a pinch of salt. 

In an ideal world Lasley would get 4 games to prove himself but the reality is probably somewhere in between. I would fully expect the club to go though a rigorous recruitment process alongside Lasley trial as it were. It is all about timing and given we are in the January transfer window we don’t have the luxury of taking weeks to decide. 

Lasley would probably be happy to stay as Assistant Manager for now and depending on who we appoint that could happen. Offers some continuity and would not require a settlement as it were. 

I would support Tommy Wright appointment as he has done well with a club with a similar budget. It would be a safe appointment and perhaps less of a gamble than a relative rookie Manager from down south. That said Graham Alexander or someone similar could also prove a shrewd appointment.

I am quite sure we will have had a lot of applications for the role so hopefully the Board can select the right person to keep us away from the bottom 2 spots this season.

At first the thought of Tommy Wright made me shudder.....however with the short term target to finish 10th and giving Las someone else to learn from for 6 months then would be a sensible appointment for the rest of this season only.....this depends on the calibre of applicants we have received or approached at this stage of the season.....finish 10th and start again in June makes me feel a lot better than other options just now as just now we are relegation certainties......the current players need a proper hard no bull shit b*****d that gives them the fear (Lasley isn't that guy) to get any sort of reaction as we will be left with the majority of them for the rest of the season as we are limited as to what we can do this transfer window......unless there is a long term gem available just now I am happy with Wright for 6 months to finish 10th, I am confident he would manage that short term then he can go back home to his family then we can reconsider Lasley or any other applicants.....ideally though please let there be a hidden gem who has applied just now.

57 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Someone mentioned on twitter that Tommy wright was pretty negative about the club during the coleraine game. I dont remember the commentary as such however they also mentioned Tony Watt, Tony Watt has been the only real stand out this season. Technically he is levels above anyone else at the club, hopefully Tommy Wright doesn't set him back again if he was to get the job.

Tony Watt was St Johnstone's best player in that season. He was offered a new contract but left to take a sack full of cash from CSKA Sofia, like we all would, then ended up at us as it wasnt for him. If anything, it could be argued that Tommy Wright was the man who revived Tony Watt's career and not the fabled Robbo. Either way, I dont think Watt & Wright would have any problems

The big concern for me about Tommy Wright would be that his success at St Johnstone came with Callum Davidson as assistant and Davidson is rated as a fantastic coach. When Davidson left to go to Stoke, it coincided with St Johnstone nosediving. Now, its clear to anyone who watches football that Motherwell are a poorly coached team so Las should be gone.

That means we would need either a new assistant with a coaching pedigree or Mo Ross to step up to Assistant? (How much influence did Mo have on the current coaching setup given his position?) 

Bringing in Wright and keeping Las, while also being the cheap option, is also a hell of a risk in my eyes

7 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Tony Watt was St Johnstone's best player in that season. He was offered a new contract but left to take a sack full of cash from CSKA Sofia, like we all would, then ended up at us as it wasnt for him. If anything, it could be argued that Tommy Wright was the man who revived Tony Watt's career and not the fabled Robbo. Either way, I dont think Watt & Wright would have any problems

Think you'll find it was watt who praised Robbo, But dont pass up a chance to have a dig.

Dont know how he did at st j but wright must've thought enough if him to go for him. He also tried to buy Gallagher and Polworth before us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

I'm a Tony Watt fan, but if the board think that Wright is the man to save us from the abyss, then Tony will have to suck it up

I really like Lasley and was prepared for him to make a couple of changes on Saturday, get a reaction from the players and be rewarded with the job permanently.

It was interesting he brought Hastie back in and moved Grimshaw into midfield. 

Sadly for him it the changes didn’t pay off and there was no reaction from the team. 

You have  to feel for Las not having O’Hara and Carson available for such a big game but starting Chapman and Mugabi, then subbing on White has changed my mind somewhat on wanting to see him get the job.  

28 minutes ago, gee said:

It was interesting he brought Hastie back in...

He’s a shadow of the player that left us for Rangers. I would go as far to say his career is over at the ‘top’ level. He is the modern day equivalent of Paul Slane who’s career went awol after his move to Celtic. 

3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Think you'll find it was watt who praised Robbo, But dont pass up a chance to have a dig.

Dont know how he did at st j but wright must've thought enough if him to go for him. He also tried to buy Gallagher and Polworth before us.

Wasntva dig at Robbo. Just saying Watt & Wright worked well together therr so there should be no issue working together here

3 hours ago, Shaka said:

The big concern for me about Tommy Wright would be that his success at St Johnstone came with Callum Davidson as assistant and Davidson is rated as a fantastic coach. When Davidson left to go to Stoke, it coincided with St Johnstone nosediving. Now, its clear to anyone who watches football that Motherwell are a poorly coached team so Las should be gone.

That means we would need either a new assistant with a coaching pedigree or Mo Ross to step up to Assistant? (How much influence did Mo have on the current coaching setup given his position?) 

Bringing in Wright and keeping Las, while also being the cheap option, is also a hell of a risk in my eyes

His relationship with the board seemed to deteriorate and looking back that was all about the budget and constantly losing his best players. Rather like Robinson I guess it ends up becoming  impossible at some stage when you are constantly have to rebuild. I would not be surprised  if his playing budget did not just stay the same but was actually reduced, I really thought they would go down unless they started investing in the squad again.

I still think whoever his number two he’s the safest option, but the board do need to sit down and think again about the playing budget, not break the bank and build up huge debt levels again ( they do have a responsibility to act in a responsible manner and not put the future of the club at risk) but it certainly needs increasing. If we want a decent size squad plus some quality additions they have little choice in my view.