Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

2 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

but think it will be Wright and Lasley combo.

TBH that gives me the fear, we need a fresh input rather than a reboot of the previous regime, Wrights style at St J was brutal at times, yes he made them hard to beat and may be what we need to keep us up right now, but we need stability and a manager in who can bring new ideas etc to rebuild the squad, past this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

TBH that gives me the fear, we need a fresh input rather than a reboot of the previous regime, Wrights style at St J was brutal at times, yes he made them hard to beat and may be what we need to keep us up right now, but we need stability and a manager in who can bring new ideas etc to rebuild the squad, past this 

I'd put Wright's hard to beat style and stability in the same category so from that point of view great, I think Wright would have Las do things his way as opposed to vice versa. He has plenty of experience so although i wouldnt be a massive fan of it, i dont think it would be the end of the world.

Id hate to see Las out on the scrap pile.

Catch 22.

I hope a lot of emphasis in the interviews would be what players any applicant can get to sign for us in January because as much as we need a new manager we also need new blood on the field,particularly if Campbell ODonnell and Gallagher might be on their merry way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

I'd put Wright's hard to beat style and stability in the same category so from that point of view great, I think Wright would have Las do things his way as opposed to vice versa. He has plenty of experience so although i wouldnt be a massive fan of it, i dont think it would be the end of the world.

Id hate to see Las out on the scrap pile.

Catch 22.

The club custodians need to do what is best for the Club...absolutely no room for sentiment 

• Like 2

After Saturday I really can't see how you can offer Lasley the job. I'm a fan of his and would love to see him as a successful Motherwell manager but I don't see how anyone can make a case this is the right time.

Of the other three id be happy enough with any of them. Graysons recent work a lot less accomplished than his early work but no one could have been expected to do anything with Sunderland at that point.

Whoever it is will have to wheel and deal, good luck to them. Can only hope a lot of clubs are in worse financial positions than us so there's more talent than usual available at our budget for January.

13 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

It's also unfair to give las 2 days to get a team ready and then judge him...I know it's a harsh game, but I would like to see if there was a reaction this Saturday. 

I agree it's unfair to judge him on 2 days. I don't just think he's the the right man for the job for now.  He has been a key part in the management/coaching partnership this season that has landed us where we are and he has zero management experience.

If Robinson had left because he'd been poached and the team was in a positive state, it would be a different story, but examples all round the leagues tend to show that when you are in our position you need an outsider with fresh enthusiasm and no baggage.

It's tough on Las, and I hope we can find a position for him in the club, but that is the downside of being an assistant manager.

1 minute ago, underboyleheating said:

Clearly the man for the job, not.  

I think we need to play safe and appoint Tommy Wright asap.

Tommy Wright spent the last two seasons moaning he wasn't getting enough money from the St Johnstone board. Given they have a much bigger budget than we do, I can't see how he'd deal with the cut in funds.

Also, I'd rather stick my head in a vice than watch a St Johnstone style performance every week until the end of the season. If we end up playing that style of football I'm giving up.

Alexander is as short as 2/5 on Oddschecker and clear favourite.

Would not be overly upset with Tommy Wright but I wonder whether he would be that much of a different Manager than Robbo. 

Alexander would know the lower leagues down south as well as anyone and like it or not that if our marketplace for affordable players. Also 40 Scotland caps. And managed 350+ games twice as many as Robbo. So surprisingly the more experienced Manager also. 

I would lean towards Alexander as my preference but would be quite happy with Tommy Wright as I feel he would provide stability in the squad which is what we need.

If the rumours are correct we should find out by Thursday. 

I would be surprised if Lasley gets the gig. But he may well stay as Assistant. Not sure whether that is a good or bad thing but would mean no pay off or settlement required and if it helps new Manager then given his history with us I am all in favour. 

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I agree it's unfair to judge him on 2 days. I don't just think he's the the right man for the job for now.  He has been a key part in the management/coaching partnership this season that has landed us where we are and he has zero management experience.

If Robinson had left because he'd been poached and the team was in a positive state, it would be a different story, but examples all round the leagues tend to show that when you are in our position you need an outsider with fresh enthusiasm and no baggage.

It's tough on Las, and I hope we can find a position for him in the club, but that is the downside of being an assistant manager.

Yep, I hear what ur saying...just from a continuity , transfer perspective,  I was thinking

Given that an appointment is imminent,  however,  the new guy should get time to get stuck in. You got to assume board will pick the best man for the job in hand 

Get rid of Lasley! Hinchliffe can stay as GK Coach, Mo Ross would depend how involved he was in training and decision making. If, as I expect, he had little input other than running the planned training drills then Id be ok with him staying. If he was actively involved then bye bye too. 

We need a clean slate, not an old boys club

Whoever the successful candidate is he will have to be a strong man manager. I have no inside information but suspect,no more, that there are dressing room/motivational issues. We'll need a fair few new players but can't change the whole squad and so he'll need to ship out or handle under performers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Also, I'd rather stick my head in a vice than watch a St Johnstone style performance every week until the end of the season. If we end up playing that style of football I'm giving up.

If it firstly brings safety and later success I’m all for it. We have a proud top flight record to keep (35 odd years?) and I’d like to hold on to that a little longer. I think only Celtic and Aberdeen can say similar. No time to be taking managerial risks when we are in such a precarious situation. I would stick with the tried and tested for the time being. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Tommy Wright spent the last two seasons moaning he wasn't getting enough money from the St Johnstone board. Given they have a much bigger budget than we do, I can't see how he'd deal with the cut in funds.

I really don't think St Johnstone pay more than us. If rumours are to be believed we beat them to Gallacher and Polworth, I don't think it was the weather that made the difference...

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

What's a St Johnstone style performance? One where they come from a goal down against us and win 2-1 regularly? Come to Fir Park and play us off the park in a 5-1 win?  

TW is by no means Guardiola, but this "terrible football" myth that follows him around is bizarre. The same lazy reporting that labels Motherwell as "hammer throwers" for the last four years or that the Fir Park pitch is full of sand springs to mind.  

Looking at that alleged shortlist. Lasley I do not want in charge, Grayson hasn't been successful in a job in a good few years and Alexander, whilst relatively experienced for a manager of his age, has zero experience of Scottish Football. We could do a lot worse than Tommy Wright as our new gaffer. 

• Like 4

Just now, C&A not the shop said:

I really don't think St Johnstone pay more than us. If rumours are to be believed we beat them to Gallacher and Polworth, I don't think it was the weather that made the difference...

St Johnstone have had a lower top 6 budget for some years. They have and continue to pay more than us. However this difference will not be huge. If pushed, I'd say on average they pay maybe £100/150 per week more than us, but that's just a guess. They push the boat out a bit for supposedly better players. 

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

It perhaps doesn't fit in with the "what do they do in training" type rants but Gallagher said one of the reasons he chose Motherwell was the fact that Robinson had said he could work him to improve him as a player and his standing in the game.