Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Tommy Wright spent the last two seasons moaning he wasn't getting enough money from the St Johnstone board. Given they have a much bigger budget than we do, I can't see how he'd deal with the cut in funds.

Also, I'd rather stick my head in a vice than watch a St Johnstone style performance every week until the end of the season. If we end up playing that style of football I'm giving up.

Guessing John Hughes wanted a better job than Ross County but he was sat on his arse for a while and no one else wanted him.

Tommy Wright on reassessing the demand for himself might also have a slightly different attitude than he did a while back. 

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

St Johnstone have had a lower top 6 budget for some years. They have and continue to pay more than us. However this difference will not be huge. If pushed, I'd say on average they pay maybe £100/150 per week more than us, but that's just a guess. They push the boat out a bit for supposedly better players. 

They also don't have an ageing stadium to maintain or a media team of any note to pay so can put more of their budget into the playing side

1 hour ago, Desp said:

We could do a lot worse than Tommy Wright as our new gaffer. 

Aye it could be the Wright /Lasley dream team, why is it that Tommy wright who was criticised  for years at St Johnstone for his approach to the game, took them from mid table mediocrity and left them there with no real progression, is suddenly being talked up as if he was Klopp, or the special one, and as for experience of the Scottish game, its somebody with no experience of some of the dross that passes for football in this country that we need, a fresh and new approach.

• Like 1

It is a tough decision for the club. I don't have any real sense of excitement for the candidates in contention. I can't help but feel that we will not improve on what we had before so  there is not a sense for me of a bright new dawn. 

I think on balance Tommy Wright would be my preferred candidate. If he could do anything like Craig Brown did the last time we needed a wise old head to steady the ship then I would be delighted. 

We need a streetwise element to our team and TW  would be the man to bring it. Marry that to a fair bit of ability(Campbell, Long, Gallagher O'Hara, O`Donnell) and we may have a bright new dawn after all. 

14 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Aye it could be the Wright /Lasley dream team, why is it that Tommy wright who was criticised  for years at St Johnstone for his approach to the game, took them from mid table mediocrity and left them there with no real progression, is suddenly being talked up as if he was Klopp, or the special one, and as for experience of the Scottish game, its somebody with no experience of some of the dross that passes for football in this country that we need, a fresh and new approach.

Right now I’d take mid table mediocrity 

11 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm not really anyone is talking up TW as "the next Klopp" however you're a bit harsh in your St Johnstone summary. You missed out the multiple qualifications for European competition, which resulted in a 2-legged over Rosenborg, and a Scottish Cup win. Like I said, he's next the world's greatest manager but he's a known quantity at this level, and well proven. Considering the mess we're in just now, I fully understand why many are looking towards him as an ideal candidate to sort out our current mess. 

If you're of the opinion that club should go for the lucky dip option of Alexander or Grayson, you're more than entitled to do so. It might end up being an inspired choice, like McGhee first time around or McCall. Or it could be a disaster like Gannon or Baraclough. Seems a strange time to take a gamble though. 

We'll just need to see who came out on tops in today's interviews. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

After Wright led the club to a top-six position in the Premiership, he guided them to their first Scottish Cup Final after a 2–1 win over.They were victorious in the 17 May, Final meeting with Dundee United at Celtic Park. It was St Johnstone's first major trophy win. Wright signed a new contract with St Johnstone in August 2014. He signed another contract with St Johnstone in October 2015, soon after the club had rejected an approach from Dundee United for Wright.

He was voted Premiership Manager of the Season for the 2015–16 season, leading St Johnstone to another fourth-place finish and a third domestic cup semi-final, losing out to Hibernian.

St Johnstone secured a third successive fourth-place finish in the Premiership in 2016–17 under Tommy Wright, with two games remaining, also qualifying for Europe again.

I think you’re slightly playing down his management record. That’s better than any other manager outside the very top clubs. He was certainly criticised for the style of football, even St Johnstone supporters were giving him belters regardless of how well he did, of course that would never happen at Motherwell. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Whoever comes in as manager is gonnae have to rocket us to glory with the same level of player that currently provides the dross that passes for football in this country. There are no guarantees with anything, but if someone said the next guy will have us finishing 5th, 6th, 7th for the next 4 or 5 years and provide a cup win, how many folk would say no to that?

13 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I like the paradox amongst some on here that we shouldn't take punts on English lower league players and should bring in players with established pedigrees but with managers the opposite applies.

We will have our cake and eat it, as a clueless bastard once said.

16 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I like the paradox amongst some on here that we shouldn't take punts on English lower league players and should bring in players with established pedigrees but with managers the opposite applies.

Theres a big difference between first team players in league 1 & 2, and reserves or players in the Conference & Lower. It looks like this Transfer Guru we have is only able to scout players within a short distance from his Newcastle home. Someone like Alexander would have far better and widespread contacts. 

Theres also a fair difference between building a team of Academy players, some of the better Scottish players and a handful of decent lower league English players and filling a team with a dozen shiters from the Gateshead League North

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Theres a big difference between first team players in league 1 & 2, and reserves or players in the Conference & Lower. It looks like this Transfer Guru we have is only able to scout players within a short distance from his Newcastle home. Someone like Alexander would have far better and widespread contacts. 

Theres also a fair difference between building a team of Academy players, some of the better Scottish players and a handful of decent lower league English players and filling a team with a dozen shiters from the Gateshead League North

Like Tanner and Taylor-Sinclair who were last playing with Plymouth when we signed them. Or Polworth and Fisher from Inverness.  You don't rate the Director of Recruitment, fair enough.  Making up shite to embelish your point only diminishes it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Like Tanner and Taylor-Sinclair who were last playing with Plymouth when we signed them. Or Polworth and Fisher from Inverness.  You don't rate the Director of Recruitment, fair enough.  Making up shite to embelish your point only diminishes it.

Let’s be honest, from all the drivel of the Foyle era, we’ve have to endure some amount of English non-league / bottom of the barrel football league shite in relation to the total amount of dross. 

*** not against players coming from South of the border btw but I agree with Shaka’s main point, the emphasis on squad and club growth has been totally wrong 

Just now, Kmac said:

Let’s be honest, from all the drivel of the Foyle era, we’ve have to endure some amount of English non-league shite in relation to the total amount of dross. 

If Shaka had stopped at that, then fair enough, as I said if someone doesn't rate the DOR then as you allude to there's plenty evidence you can use to back that up without resorting to making stuff up. But no, like the laughable nonsense from someone recently about this team being the worst team in sixty years for some that desire to be that extra wee bit more negative, to twist the knife that wee bit extra, is just irresistible at times and it takes away from what might well be a fair point.

Lets be fair we have been pretty lucky and hit a few gems but we have also hit a number of utter duds!But who is to say that a new manager coming might not get something out a Seedorf?Might get a bit more out Grimshaw?This crop this season you couldnt give them away been really really poor.

Thats the beauty of the new manager coming in its a clean slate they might see something others couldnt.By looking at things and needing we 100 percent need a really good man manager right now if anything confidence utterly destroyed so from the off belief needs to be reinstalled.

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 7:22 PM, spudmfc said:

Graham Alexander now into 4/6 fav

Graeme Alexander
Fleetwood 3 yrs - sacked
Scunthorpe 2 yrs - sacked
Salford City 2 yrs - sacked

Tommy Wright
Limavady - moved to bigger
Ballymena - resigned
Lisburn Distillery - moved to bigger
St Johnstone 7 yrs won cup left club stable.

Why the clamour for GA
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I am glad the club are moving quick i am pretty shocked tbh.Least the new manager will have nearly a full transfer window to work with.Said Alexander from the start would like him to be given a go but think it will be Wright and Lasley combo.

Alexander based on what exactly. His track record is pish 

Now is not the time to appoint Las. Wright is not everyone's Cup of tea but knows Scottish football and is a known quantity and would be a firm but dull manager (friends who are Saints fans have castigated me for saying this). My concern is his views on youth development.

I know little of Grayson except that he's experienced and managed at a reasonably high level in England  albeit not very successfully. A high risk appointment.

I also know little of Alexander but again hasn't been a roaring success down south. Experienced and knows the English lower leagues. Again a risky appointment but not as much as Grayson. 

I wonder who else applied. 

6 hours ago, Desp said:

What's a St Johnstone style performance? One where they come from a goal down against us and win 2-1 regularly? Come to Fir Park and play us off the park in a 5-1 win?  

TW is by no means Guardiola, but this "terrible football" myth that follows him around is bizarre. The same lazy reporting that labels Motherwell as "hammer throwers" for the last four years or that the Fir Park pitch is full of sand springs to mind.  

Looking at that alleged shortlist. Lasley I do not want in charge, Grayson hasn't been successful in a job in a good few years and Alexander, whilst relatively experienced for a manager of his age, has zero experience of Scottish Football. We could do a lot worse than Tommy Wright as our new gaffer. 

Exactly I listen to this "St Johnstones style"  of play pish and all I've ever seen them do during Wrights tenure is invariably take the pish outta us.

isd

• Like 1

Some general info about the 3 external candidates

Clubs, Games managed, win percentage, trophies, promotions, highest level

Alexander - 4, 372, 43, 0, 2, English league one 

Wright -4, 578, 39.62, 1, 0, scottish prem

Grayson - 7, 685, 41.46, 0, 3 English championship

Gary Neville on sacking Alexander at Salford:

"The first manager that left the club was third in the league, the second who left the club had won promotion and Graham was in a really good position in the league, but we always change at a point where we’re doing quite well."

Neville apparently happy with results but disappointed in performances, wanted to change their style of play. Some comments from fans about the football not being attractive enough and too many draws. Does that put Alexander in the same bracket as Wright?