Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

The four suggested candidates fill me with no confidence or enthusiasm for a variety of reasons revolving around how tough a job this is shaping up to be with the current squad. I’m far from a huge fan of John Hughes but if he were still available I’d probably take him over the four mentioned - that says it all. 

5 hours ago, Desp said:

I'm not really anyone is talking up TW as "the next Klopp" however you're a bit harsh in your St Johnstone summary. You missed out the multiple qualifications for European competition, which resulted in a 2-legged over Rosenborg, and a Scottish Cup win. Like I said, he's next the world's greatest manager but he's a known quantity at this level, and well proven. Considering the mess we're in just now, I fully understand why many are looking towards him as an ideal candidate to sort out our current mess.

Wright basically had a decent team for a long-ish period and when it started to age and break up the results tapered off.  I'd say there are a few parallels with our very own Stuart McCall.

You might argue that he's not the right guy for a major rebuild which I think is what is needed and what will happen.

Salford have ideas above their station. From the games I watched, Alexander was doing just fine - he just didn't give them the instant success they thought they were entitled to. Salford have dropped down the table since he left and are out of the playoff positions, so whatever their plan was, it hasn't worked yet.

Given his knowledge of the lower leagues and the fact he was head of youth development at Preston, I can see why he ticks a few boxes.

Of course,  I've no idea what kind of job he'd do for us.

13 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Wright basically had a decent team for a long-ish period and when it started to age and break up the results tapered off.  I'd say there are a few parallels with our very own Stuart McCall.

You might argue that he's not the right guy for a major rebuild which I think is what is needed and what will happen.

I agree with that, and I'd also argue he's used to working with a bigger budget than we can offer.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Now is not the time to appoint Las. Wright is not everyone's Cup of tea but knows Scottish football and is a known quantity and would be a firm but dull manager (friends who are Saints fans have castigated me for saying this). My concern is his views on youth development.

I know little of Grayson except that he's experienced and managed at a reasonably high level in England  albeit not very successfully. A high risk appointment.

I also know little of Alexander but again hasn't been a roaring success down south. Experienced and knows the English lower leagues. Again a risky appointment but not as much as Grayson. 

I wonder who else applied. 

Sounds like we are picking the least worst. Not the kind of choice I was hoping for but maybe that’s just what we can afford. 

29 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Sounds like we are picking the least worst. Not the kind of choice I was hoping for but maybe that’s just what we can afford. 

Given our track record with management appointees I would not be surprised if there are people we are interviewing who have not been mentioned anywhere.

Not Tommy Wright for me.

The club have a tendency to find people off the beaten track so can't see it being anyone mentioned so far.

Las was hobbled by Archer and Lang departing plus O'Hara suspension. I think it is bad luck that the perception can't  be ignored over the reality of the shitty situation he found himself in.

I'm hoping for a Steve Clarke type appointment when Killie got him. I suspect there's a few highly respected coaches not on the radar except for those in football circles looking for a chance. It's rare that a coach, reserve/youth team manager will see much media daylight when focus is on the gaffer and his assistant. But players and club officials talk about who's got something about them and that drips down. Quite often it needs a move away from where familiarity has flourished to a new pasture to earn the respect and deference the role needs.

A lot will depend on contacts and knowledge of what personnel may be able to bolster the half dozen who have got something about them currently in the squad.

• Like 1

I have to say Im fairly comfortable with whoever gets the job.  They each have their own merits.

Lasley knows this squad inside out so he will have a head start in respect of knowing who is good enough, has the right temperament or needs moved on quickly. He also has a deep love of the club so his motivation can never be questioned. He was clearly angry at the weekend performance so I dont think he would lack the resolve to wield the axe. But he is young, inexperienced and therefore a bit of a risk when we are currently in a relegation dogfight.

Tommy Wright would appear to be the safest pair of hands. Knows the Scottish game. Is experienced at out level and had a reasonable amount of success with a provincial club. It is a bit of an uninspired choice however, and although Ive no doubt he could steer us clear of relegation, would he be the man to rebuild the squad and develop our youngsters?

Simon Grayson, vastly experienced and obviously managed at the highest level of the 4 with Leeds and Huddersfield to some success.  But that was a long time ago. Could he rekindle that or is he yesterdays man?

Graham Alexander is the one that intrigues me most and I dont actually know why. Really liked him as a player at Burnley and with Scotland. Good old fashioned no nonsense fullback/midfielder. Very underated. I really had no clue about his managerial career until I read this thread, and although you could view his sackings negatively, he would appear to have been unfortunate on at least a couple of occasions so I might cut him some slack there. It would be interesting to see who he would want as backroom staff with his Scotland connections.

Ultimately, its down to the board and how each interviews. I know some on hear have strong opinions on our board and some of their decision making, however, I always feel much of this is unfounded and based on supposition. Given that the majority are Well fans and also have the interest of the club at heart, I trust them to make the most informed choice they can.

I look forward to getting fully behind the successful candidate. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

The four suggested candidates fill me with no confidence or enthusiasm for a variety of reasons revolving around how tough a job this is shaping up to be with the current squad. I’m far from a huge fan of John Hughes but if he were still available I’d probably take him over the four mentioned - that says it all. 

Genuine question, why would you prefer Hughes over Wright? They've achieved similar things but Wright's got a much more consistent track record imo. 

7 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

The club can only pick from those who applied and want the job, so maybe the 4 names quoted are the only ones interested, probably enquiries have been made to others about the job but if they are not interested then the clubs hands are tied.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Like Tanner and Taylor-Sinclair who were last playing with Plymouth when we signed them. Or Polworth and Fisher from Inverness.  You don't rate the Director of Recruitment, fair enough.  Making up shite to embelish your point only diminishes it.

It was more sarcasm than "making up shite to embelish your point", however I take on board your point!

I took little real notice about how St Johnstone played in general over the Tommy Wright years, however the one thing I do remember is them regularly beating us and always seeming to be a bit of a "bogey team". Id be happy enough with him in charge

Id have been very excited about Simon Grayson a couple years ago, but his recent experiences have tarnished him a bit. No idea of the circumstances of his last few jobs, but for me he has to be the outsider

Las is covered in Robinson stink and shouldnt be anywhere near even an interview, nevermind the actual job. He was part of the senior Management team who have not only underperformed, but built a team with a shocking attitude, if they arent gonna try for Robbo, they clearly arent gonna do so for Las

I have to admit, until seeing his name on here, I never even realized Alexander was managing to any decent level. However, after reading up a bit on him, he's the one candidate that is most intriguing and potentially the most exciting. He is fairly experienced and from what I can see has done a good job at all 3 clubs he has managed. The Salford sacking itself was an absolute joke.

Interesting times ahead, hopefully we find out soon

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

You've taken that too far

If the rumours are true that Robbo was thinking about jacking it in weeks before he did I would like to think that the Directors had an inkling about it and at least started the process of looking at who might be available. 

We're all assuming that the names in the papers are the Motherwell 4 but I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one candidate in there that hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

In saying that i would be quite happy with Alexander or Wright.

48 minutes ago, santheman said:

We're all assuming that the names in the papers are the Motherwell 4 but I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least one candidate in there that hasn't been mentioned anywhere.

I don't know where Grayson has come from. I saw him mentioned on here the other day, and since then has been linked in the rags. Would be unlike them to use sarcastic throwaway forum posts as intel.