Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

7 hours ago, Yassin said:

Genuine question, why would you prefer Hughes over Wright? They've achieved similar things but Wright's got a much more consistent track record imo. 

Timing and personality. I have no qualms over Wright’s record, he did an excellent job at St Johnstone. However, I don’t think when he left a provincial club where he’s considered a legend, he envisaged turning up at Fir Park the next season. It’s often said that manager’s have a shelf life at a club, I think in some instances that can be extended to a level or league. For me, the prospect of managing Motherwell isn’t going to fill Wright with excitement but if there are no better offers around he’ll take it. Now Hughes has obviously been around the block a few times with some great success but having taken a few knocks and been out the game for a while, I think he’d have been well up for the opportunity. 

As for personality, Wright strikes me as having similar character and values to Robinson. That’s no bad thing but at a time when the squad hasn’t been responding to Robinson, I’d be concerned that Wright would offer more of the same and not provide the fresh approach required (not that the players should get off the hook, I’d try and punt anyone that isn’t giving it their all but that’s easier said than done). Hughes for all his flaws and cringeworthy patter meanwhile, would imo have had a better chance of lifting the spirits of the squad and in time, playing better football. 

Just to be clear, I’m not saying I’d want Hughes as manager if he were available but he’s certainly no worse than the options being presented. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

If that's a cryptic clue to who's getting the job then I'm not clever enough to work it out.

Nothing cryptic. Just somebody getting their picture taken. Think it was for novelty value as in the first time they’ve been there? It’s pretty picturesque in a winter setting.

20 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Nothing cryptic. Just somebody getting their picture taken. Think it was for novelty value as in the first time they’ve been there? It’s pretty picturesque in a winter setting.

I did wonder why Tommy Wright was holding a Motherwell scarf above his head down there earlier when I was walking past. 

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

OTF is correct the Globe is on the North side of the south Calder water, Forgewood is on the South side 

They are both South of the river but separated by the train lines.

Unless you mean the Globe cemetery which is on the North side beside Colville Park.

If the four names on the list are accurate, then none leave me particularly excited. Mind you, I can't actually think of a name realistically within our budget that I think "that's the one we need". Reckon part of the reason is that, like a lot of us probably, I don't think that the squad is good enough so any manager is going to be reliant on us doing some very good transfer business this January.  Spectacular business. Which I fear we will struggle to do....

5 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Mick McCarthy just been sacked by some Cypriot mob after only 8 games...might as well add his name into the mix now as well...!!! :P

Mick McCarthy would be a brilliant appointment for a club like Motherwell.

He’s neither fashionable nor sexy but he’s got a successful record of (relative) achievement with limited resources.

It’s no coincidence that Ipswich dropped out the Championship almost immediately after he left