Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

1 minute ago, underboyleheating said:

Paul Cook would be an excellent choice. However, I’m not sure if he would fancy managing in Scotland.  He left Wigan in August and is looking to get back into management. 

He's another one in the Danny Cowley mould. Would get us organised & competetive, but mosy likely well out of our price range

6 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Paul Cook would be an excellent choice. However, I’m not sure if he would fancy managing in Scotland.  He left Wigan in August and is looking to get back into management. 

Good shout,his teams always play decent stuff and he comes across as a manager you wouldn't want to mess with.

4 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Just a question of whether he would move to Scotland. Although, Gerrard did, so who knows?

Cook has done well enough that there will always be an opportunity in england but who knows maybe a change of scene would appeal to him,like you and shaka said,finances would maybe rule him out but he's definitely the type we should be looking at.

5 minutes ago, mfc said:

Cook has done well enough that there will always be an opportunity in england but who knows maybe a change of scene would appeal to him,like you and shaka said,finances would maybe rule him out but he's definitely the type we should be looking at.

I’m sure he has an in-depth knowledge of all the UK professional leagues and would demand 100% effort. No hiding if Cook was in charge. I wonder what kind of salary he would command?

22 hours ago, star sail said:

Would never want to see McLeish anywhere near our club again. 

Talk about a manager wasting money on transfers, there is your man.

I wouldn't want McLeish as gaffer, but to be fair, he has admitted himself that he screwed up that piece of his time at Fir Park. That was early in his career though and he did improve after that.

1 hour ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Just out of curiosity, what would Motherwell be offering , 100k ? Approx 

Based on no knowledge in particular I would think closer to £120 - 150k PA. This would be based on the improved contract Robbo would have been on after the N Ireland vacancy. 

Probably not enough for the likes of a Paul Cook but for us mere mortals a bloody decent salary despite all the abuse from Yodo et al. 

Sometimes I'll have type in Motherwell on Twitter just to be nosey and see what folk are saying about us.  A couple of mentions mooting John Kennedy as a potential candidate. A name I've not seen mentioned or speculated about previously.

1 minute ago, Andy_P said:

Sometimes I'll have type in Motherwell on Twitter just to be nosey and see what folk are saying about us.  A couple of mentions mooting John Kennedy as a potential candidate. A name I've not seen mentioned or speculated about previously.

John Kennedy! Oh God, I hope not. John F Kennedy could do a better job. Look at how pish Celtic's defence have been for years and he was defensive coach there as  well as Assistant Manager

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Probably not enough for the likes of a Paul Cook but for us mere mortals a bloody decent salary despite all the abuse from Yodo et al. 

So if we can’t afford the likes of a Paul Cook, what available managers can we afford? Makes you wonder what type of money the likes of Cook can command. 250k? Ah well the Gary Holt’s of the world it is then. 

7 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Rather have  Stephen McManus if we look at Celtic. Knows the Club, is a winner and gaining a good rep as a coach. Anybody but the media loved old guard that just do the rounds. A rebuild is required and he could be the man to do it.  And he does not stand for any crap from the players. Time to be forward thinking and appoint somebody to move us forward. 

On 1/2/2021 at 6:50 PM, star sail said:

Would never want to see McLeish anywhere near our club again. 

Talk about a manager wasting money on transfers, there is your man. 

A media darling whose reputation far outstripped his ability. Ruined a decent Motherwell team, and  was heading the same way with Hibs. There was horror stories of player indiscipline at Rangers and yet he managed to maintain a good reputation in the Scottish game. His second spell as Scotland manager I think is a fair reflection of his capability. 

I would take his Aberdeen playing partner Strachan over McLeish any day of the week. 

Well said

25 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Rather have  Stephen McManus if we look at Celtic. Knows the Club, is a winner and gaining a good rep as a coach. Anybody but the media loved old guard that just do the rounds. A rebuild is required and he could be the man to do it.  And he does not stand for any crap from the players. Time to be forward thinking and appoint somebody to move us forward. 

He stands for Edinburgh City strikers running past him

16 minutes ago, ropy said:

He stands for Edinburgh City strikers running past him

You mean when he played with his knee in bits to help his Manager out. Yes,  he was at the end of his playing career when he played for us , but look at his effort compared to what you saw from some yesterday. 

But, whatever, he is qualifying as a coach ( maybe has) and is highly regarded by other coaches and player who have worked with him. 

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Based on no knowledge in particular I would think closer to £120 - 150k PA. This would be based on the improved contract Robbo would have been on after the N Ireland vacancy. 

Was McCall not reportedly to have been on over £200K when with us, so given that was a few years ago, I’d suspect we could offer someone £250K. 
maybe a bit left field but what about offering one of the guys mentioned a contract until the end of the e season?

Gives them 6 months work and a chance to prove themselves to  potential employers. 

17 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Was McCall not reportedly to have been on over £200K when with us, so given that was a few years ago, I’d suspect we could offer someone £250K. 
maybe a bit left field but what about offering one of the guys mentioned a contract until the end of the e season?

Gives them 6 months work and a chance to prove themselves to  potential employers. 

Pay someone a shed load of money for 5 months to put themselves in the shop window come the summer and put us back to square one? No thanks.

I see it totally different only one manager position at a club and tons of decent managers out of work  will be looking at that and fancying it to get us out a hole,another string to the cv and bigger clubs will come sniffing.Its really not about the wage with alot of them its about what is Motherwell going to offer me to work with.I think we could get  alot of names mentioned on here by folk but going how we do things thats why i said McCall might come back as McGee came back and Robinson came back clearly to take over from McGee.

33 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

When McGhee left he was on around £150k wi us as it was reported  his Aberdeen salary was an extra grand a week and just over £200k. I believe McInness is on £250k currently wi The Dons

Robbo was a cheap option so he was prob on £100k max