Welcome to Motherwell Graham Alexander

grizzlyg

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Honestly more i read these comments think we are just replacing like for like on the manager front with Wright  still  have half a season to get back up the table totally think it be worth giving someone with a totally different approach the job.

I would totally agree with You had we sacked Robbo anytime in the last 4 months, which is when we should have! Him leaving a day or two before the Jan transfer window opening has painted us into a corner tho. We dont have time to give "something different" a chance to work so we NEED a safe pair of hands to keep us in the division

• Like 1

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

He’s a shadow of the player that left us for Rangers. I would go as far to say his career is over at the ‘top’ level. He is the modern day equivalent of Paul Slane who’s career went awol after his move to Celtic. 

The club got it right with Hastie in holding firm on a long contract until he had played enough games to show he was not a one trick pony. He was literally on fire for maybe five or six weeks before other clubs worked him out, he was getting subbed off for us before he even moved to Rangers. We did extremely well to get the transfer fee we did, he will never mover for money again, and yes his level his Scottish Championship level at best.

49 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The club got it right with Hastie in holding firm on a long contract until he had played enough games to show he was not a one trick pony. He was literally on fire for maybe five or six weeks before other clubs worked him out, he was getting subbed off for us before he even moved to Rangers. We did extremely well to get the transfer fee we did, he will never mover for money again, and yes his level his Scottish Championship level at best.

I don't think he was particularly a one trick pony, I think he is completely devoid of confidence now (which may or may not come back). At one point when he was playing for us at his peak he was virtually unplayable.

1 hour ago, Shaka said:

I would totally agree with You had we sacked Robbo anytime in the last 4 months, which is when we should have! Him leaving a day or two before the Jan transfer window opening has painted us into a corner tho. We dont have time to give "something different" a chance to work so we NEED a safe pair of hands to keep us in the division

I don't know about 4 months ago, but irrespective of how it was done, certainly Robbo should have departed maybe 4 weeks ago.  As you say the timing has made life difficult for the Board and indeed the team. However we are where we are, and this isn't the time for something different or off the wall.

58 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

Graham Alexander now into 4/6 fav

He's had it tight so far in his Managerial career. Sacked by Fleetwood a few games into the season after winning promotion, sacked by Scunthorpe while 5th in the table, then sacked by Salford after a promotion, getting to a cup final & mid table before covid and then starting the new season 5 unbeaten with them in the playoff spots. 

Certainly a different and interesting name

27 minutes ago, Shaka said:

He's had it tight so far in his Managerial career. Sacked by Fleetwood a few games into the season after winning promotion, sacked by Scunthorpe while 5th in the table, then sacked by Salford after a promotion, getting to a cup final & mid table before covid and then starting the new season 5 unbeaten with them in the playoff spots. 

Certainly a different and interesting name

If  these clubs were in a relatively good position and enjoying a bit of success, you do wonder why he was sacked from them all, just unlucky maybe??

22 minutes ago, santheman said:

If  these clubs were in a relatively good position and enjoying a bit of success, you do wonder why he was sacked from them all, just unlucky maybe??

Fleetwood sacked him after they had a bad start to the season (season after he won them promotion), Scunthorpe did so after he was on an 8 game run without a win (and even after that run they were still 5th!) and Salford have been slaughtered for sacking him, but apparently its "part of their plan" to sack managers when they are doing ok and they want promotion every season

• Thanks 1

Just paper talk probably and I know little of English football but it seems odd that Alexander has been mentioned as one of the frontrunners A bit of a left field candidate with question marks over him. At first sight doesn't seem to fit the kind of candidate I thought we'd be looking for. 

On another tack  Declan Gallagher's comments are interesting and hints at a kind of split in the dressing room. From the little I know he seems to be one of those who care.

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just paper talk probably and I know little of English football but it seems odd that Alexander has been mentioned as one of the frontrunners A bit of a left field candidate with questions marks over him. At first sight doesn't seem to fit the kind of candidate I thought we'd be looking for. 

On another tack  Declan Gallagher's comments are interesting and hints at a kind of split in the dressing room. From the little I know he seems to be one of those who care.

Thats exactly what I thought. Robbo, Las & now Gallagher have all stated the exact same thing, sounds like theres a split and several guys dont give a fuck

A quick wiki search and 

Robbo had a win % of 42 with Motherwell from 169 games. 
Tommy Wright had a win % of 40.8 from 307 games with St Johnstone.

Graham Alexander had a win % of 43 from 372 games. Inflated a little with a 48% record for Salford to be expected given their clout. Interestingly GA also had 833 senior appearances as a player and 40 Scotland caps. Very experienced. 

So not a lot in the win % but I believe both Wright and GA would do a job. I did not have an earthly that GA had managed twice as many games as Stephen Robinson. I thought he was a bit of a rookie. 

7 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

He’s a shadow of the player that left us for Rangers. I would go as far to say his career is over at the ‘top’ level. He is the modern day equivalent of Paul Slane who’s career went awol after his move to Celtic. 

Sadly spot on about Hastie and his contribution this season is a big fat zero, my mate is a blue nose and said we should have went for Stephen Kelly who is on loan at Ross County and is basically their best player each week, not that would be difficult.

5 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

A quick wiki search and 

Graham Alexander had a win % of 43 from 372 games. Inflated a little with a 48% record for Salford to be expected given their clout. Interestingly GA also had 833 senior appearances as a player and 40 Scotland caps. Very experienced. 

So not a lot in the win % but I believe both Wright and GA would do a job. I did not have an earthly that GA had managed twice as many games as Stephen Robinson. I thought he was a bit of a rookie. 

When quoting win percentages for Wright and Robinson, their results are probably skewed and depressed by losing to Celtic and Sevco 6/8 times a season.

10 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

A quick wiki search and 

So Robbo was not exactly the clueless idiot ? A win rate of 42% given the size of the club is impressive. I’m actually surprised it’s as high as that.