Season 2020’21: Game 20: Hamilton (A)

Andy_P

Who'd have thought almost ten years to the day we'd be pitching up at New Douglas Park seeking a change of fortune and having someone new (albeit caretaker this time) in the dugout.  

It would be going something from this stage though to replicate that season finish where we ended up in the top six and eached a Cup Final.

Fair chance we might replicate the shitty nil-nil though.

Whilst I would never call this game a "must win" it's certainly the game where things can get real serious for us.

A loss will see Hamilton go a point above us, which would see us drop into the bottom two.

If Ross County get a win against St Johnstone we'd go rock bottom.

However, a win could see us push up to 8th or so, which would be a welcome reprieve while we sort out the management situation.

There's bugger all in this league, particularly from 5th downwards, and each team is going to have their good and bad runs. I didn't realise St J were doing so badly either, they might sack their manager too.

If we don't get those covid points, we still have a couple of games in hand on our rivals, so a shite result tomorrow wouldn't kill us, but it would be terrible in it's own right with it being a "derby" on plastic against a team managed by brian rice. 

A reaction from the players would be nice, I guess they got what they wanted, so it's time for them to step up. If Lasley has any ambitions for keeping the job, I'd expect a couple of personnel changes to put his own stamp on things to a degree, but the style of play isn't going to change so quickly. 

Was mcginley even on the bench the other day? If he can't force lamie out of the team he must be worse than I thought. 

I agree with polworth and lamie dropping out, but that shouldn't take a tactical genius to notice. Cole was rubbish the other day as well, but out of our options he's probably the best to partner Watt. 

I don’t think he’s any good but that’s how bad a squad Robbo has left us with. Absolute dross right across the board . A first team squad of 29 and I can’t pick a team .  Numerous players that think they are it yet haven’t won a tackle all season , beaten their man or broken sweat. Yet he still gets all the applause and brown nosing because he got us to two cup finals . That’s in the past , he has left us in the absolute shite with the squad he put together . Maybe we could pick his son in the starting 11 in his honour to remember the cup finals and what a nice guy he is . 

5 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

I don’t think he’s any good but that’s how bad a squad Robbo has left us with.

Do you think the squad is really that bad though? When was the last time we had two current Scotland internationals in our team? I mean, it obviously isn't working out for us at the moment, but when we started the season there was very few among our support claiming it was a bad squad.

10 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

I don’t think he’s any good but that’s how bad a squad Robbo has left us with. Absolute dross right across the board . A first team squad of 29 and I can’t pick a team .  Numerous players that think they are it yet haven’t won a tackle all season , beaten their man or broken sweat. Yet he still gets all the applause and brown nosing because he got us to two cup finals . That’s in the past , he has left us in the absolute shite with the squad he put together . Maybe we could pick his son in the starting 11 in his honour to remember the cup finals and what a nice guy he is . 

The thing is it’s not that bad a squad, the majority of the starting 11 got us to 3rd last season. Carson, Carroll, Grimshaw, Polworth, Campbell, Seedorf, Gallagher, OHara,Donnelly, Watt, Long, Cole. That’s 12 players off the top of my head that played a lot of games between them, Turnbull hardly  played a game and Hastie came back with expectations. Dunn has been injured but would have played a part as would Donnelly and Carroll/Carson. Lang also came with a bit of excitement. We really have more than enough quality to be safe, it’s just not happened right from the first game where we dominated against Ross county, gave away a daft penalty, missed our own, and somehow managed to lose.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Do you think the squad is really that bad though? When was the last time we had two current Scotland internationals in our team? I mean, it obviously isn't working out for us at the moment, but when we started the season there was very few among our support claiming it was a bad squad.

You must be the ultimate happy clapper , or you haven't seen us play this season. 

I’d pencil in  the following, in no particular position, then add to make up 11 (not using Lamie, Polworth or White) and figure out how we can play to the strengths of the players on the park  

goalie preferably Carson

O’Donnell, Gallagher, Grimshaw, Carrol, Campbell, Watt

probably add Mugabi since O’Hara not available. McGuire, Cole and Seedorf.

im assuming Lang and Hastie are gone? If not then I’d add Hastie before Seedorf. 

22 minutes ago, well_said said:

You must be the ultimate happy clapper , or you haven't seen us play this season. 

Oh, I've seen us play. That's why I said it obviously isn't working out for us at the moment. But we have a good squad of players. A few duds need shipping out, and someone who can partner Watt up front and score goals is needed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, I've seen us play. That's why I said it obviously isn't working out for us at the moment. But we have a good squad of players. A few duds need shipping out, and someone who can partner Watt up front and score goals is needed. 

Yep, that’s pretty much it in a nutshell, two or three decent addition in the right positions. We’ve got half a dozen first 11 players that would walk into most other teams in this division.

20 minutes ago, David said:

I think we have more than a few duds , I reckon it's almost double figures.

9 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We tend to do well at Accies, it’s at home against them we struggle.

It's more the "entertainment" aspect I was referring to.  Games at the Cannabis Oil Money Laundering Naan Bread stadium tend to be like going to the dentist. Even if you're happy with the result, the process can be painful.

27 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's more the "entertainment" aspect I was referring to.  Games at the Cannabis Oil Money Laundering Naan Bread stadium tend to be like going to the dentist. Even if you're happy with the result, the process can be painful.

True, but we would all be more than happy with a shit show and 3 points.