Season 2020’21: Game 20: Hamilton (A)

Andy_P

This shite transfer policy was always going to bite us In the arse. ICT tried this years ago, signing lower league English journeyman, they also had success abd then the time came when the contracts coming to an end, lack of quality and commitment all collide. It was always going to happen. 

Just now, Kmac said:

This shite transfer policy was always going to bite us In the arse. ICT tried this years ago, signing lower league English journeyman, they also had success abd then the time came when the contracts coming to an end, lack of quality and commitment all collide. It was always going to happen. 

I think there is something in this.

But also the last two players of quality that we've brought through have lasted 6 months or less in the team before being sold off, or would have been without injury.  We simply can't hold on to good players for even a season now, never mind longer, due to the economics of the club and the game in general.

The focus of the club has shifted from putting together a good team to keeping a good set of accounts and I understand why but there is a big risk that if you neglect the football then longer term it's financially deleterious.

There are some parallels with Inverness but also with Dundee Utd.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

But also the last two players of quality that we've brought through have lasted 6 months or less in the team before being sold off, or would have been without injury.  We simply can't hold on to good players for even a season now, never mind longer, due to the economics of the club and the game in general.

The focus of the club has shifted from putting together a good team to keeping a good set of accounts and I understand why but there is a big risk that if you neglect the football then longer term it's financially deleterious.

I don’t think we are quite getting the balance right at the moment with a little more investment needed. However I also think Covid and no support has played a big part in things just now, the club are obviously being very careful due to the uncertain future.

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Agreed. The absolute stupidity and difference between us and those other two is that we are a fan owned club. There’s no owner trying to make a profit or recoup costs. We’re supposed to be ‘by the supporters, for the supporters’ but we haven’t kept to that mantra in our actions.

Just now, Yorkyred said:

I don’t think we are quite getting the balance right at the moment with a little more investment needed. However I also think Covid and no support has played a big part in things just now, the club are obviously being very careful due to the uncertain future.

It’s uncertain for everyone. Outwith the old firm, we were the ones who finished third (ie wel over budget) brought in a rake from Player sales in the past 12 months and had a million euro in prize money from the 3 European matches. No one other than the arse cheeks if Glasgow, Hibs  ,United and Aberdeen had such fortune yet we have regressed big time due to an ill advised policy of pursuing the bank balance over maintaining long term fan acquisition and development by ensuring product 

• Like 1

Chapman came on for Trevor for his first injury. Trevor in as soon as he was fit. Chapman back in for Trevor's second injury. We can all see Chapmans not got what it takes , why not put Morrison on if he's been playing regularly in an attempt to help his experience. Think Keith's following Robbo's mistakes here. Also Big Maguire is a natural back four player, why can he not slot in for the often woeful Mugabi. Maguires confidence must be shot to pieces seeing who gets a place in front of him.

Mind how Gallagher said the players were all up for this game? 

In a league that contains power houses such as Accies, St Mirren, Livingston, Ross County you’ve surely got to fancy you’re chances of not being relegated? 

This team is going down however. Worst I’ve seen in years. They have absolutely noting about them at all. Nothing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kmac said:

It’s uncertain for everyone. Outwith the old firm, we were the ones who finished third (ie wel over budget) brought in a rake from Player sales in the past 12 months and had a million euro in prize money from the 3 European matches. No one other than the arse cheeks if Glasgow, Hibs  ,United and Aberdeen had such fortune yet we have regressed big time due to an ill advised policy of pursuing the bank balance over maintaining long term fan acquisition and development by ensuring product 

Hey just my theory, could be wrong.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

What a team, seeing off 2 managers in 3 days? Somebody dig up Norris McWhirter.

Is anybody surprised Lasley was part of the SR decision making so did anybody really believe there would be a radical change of attitude / tactics today. 

We may still win the game but I don't think Lasley should be considered for the job long term, we need a fresh approach and somebody new to get rid of the shite in the team, with a few new faces in this transfer window.

• Like 1

Even Campbell form seems to have dropped off. It is looking grim.

We need the 6 points reinstated. A new Manager and several decent players and we may just finish 10th if we are lucky. Livi look like they could finish 5th. St Mirren are a better side as are Killie. It is down to us Ross C, Hamilton and possibly St J. And currently we are losing to one of those 3 sides ! 

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

Is anybody surprised Lasley was part of the SR decision making so did anybody really believe there would be a radical change of attitude / tactics today. 

We may still win the game but I don't think Lasley should be considered for the job long term, we need a fresh approach and somebody new to get rid of the shite in the team, with a few new faces in this transfer window.

No surprised, but you can always hope. 45 minutes in, it's obvious how hopeless the situation currently is. Where do you start and where do you stop with this pile of shite?

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

We made a complete arse of the recruitment over the summer,not one player that we signed will be remotely missed when they eventually get moved on,iwould even go as far to say they have dragged some of our better perfomers down to there level.we missed a real chance to try and kick on after finishing third by making two or three signings that could have came in and made a difference and that's before we sold turnbull.i take your point about covid and no crowds having an impact and your completely right but why then did we go and sign so many new players,remember at one point robinson was saying no new players could arrive due to the uncertainty coming into this season.imo we really took our eye off the ball over the summer and it ultimately cost robinson his job and worse maybe still to come if things don't improve between now and the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

Chapman came on for Trevor for his first injury. Trevor in as soon as he was fit. Chapman back in for Trevor's second injury. We can all see Chapmans not got what it takes , why not put Morrison on if he's been playing regularly in an attempt to help his experience. Think Keith's following Robbo's mistakes here. Also Big Maguire is a natural back four player, why can he not slot in for the often woeful Mugabi. Maguires confidence must be shot to pieces seeing who gets a place in front of him.

get your CV in, you're hired 

1 minute ago, mfc said:

We made a complete arse of the recruitment over the summer,not one player that we signed will be remotely missed when they eventually get moved on,iwould even go as far to say they have dragged some of our better perfomers down to there level.we missed a real chance to try and kick on after finishing third by making two or three signings that could have came in and made a difference and that's before we sold turnbull.i take your point about covid and no crowds having an impact and your completely right but why then did we go and sign so many new players,remember at one point robinson was saying no new players could arrive due to the uncertainty coming into this season.imo we really took our eye off the ball over the summer and it ultimately cost robinson his job and worse maybe still to come if things don't improve between now and the end of the season.

A couple of quality players would certainly have made a difference,  but we went down a different route.