Season 2020’21: Game 21: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

Just now, couttsy said:

I know what your saying, however dont you think he’ll have watched recordings of our last half a dozen games over the last 24/36 hrs? Not to mention any prep he did for the interview process. I think he’ll have a fair idea with the exception of maybe some of the fringe player who haven’t played much recently. You’ve also got to imagine Las will have a bigger input today than maybe in the weeks going forward. 

Suspect Ohara will come back in and Kelly will make his debut, don’t expect many other changes to be honest, although i hope he brings McGuire into the middle of the park, think he gives us a bit more strength in there which is lacking with Donnelly.

Just touched on that as you were posting.

• Like 1

I've been reasonably impressed with Crawford, saying that there isn't much between him ane Barry Maguire so would be happy with either. Is crawford a bit more of a battler? 

O'hara in at CB

Carroll looked miles off it last week, however that's to be expected and that sharpness will only come back with game time so would probably go with him. 

Would like to see us test Tait with some pace. We know he isn't the quickest, lets use it to our advantage.

21 minutes ago, Al B said:

It seems bizarre to me that people are always convinced Robbo's issues were that he'd signed bad players. It could be equally as likely that what he was strugging with, was players who were great in training but found it difficult to transfer that into a full match.

I agree. You could quite easily see the likes of Seedorf, Lang, Long, Hylton, Hastie, etc being world beaters in training. Some of them may just not have been able to translate it to a Saturday, maybe a confidence thing or maybe an attitude thing. I think it's lazy to just say the players we've signed have been bad players. Chapman aside, I'd say there is potential for everyone in our squad to play at this level, which fundamentally is what our club's recruitment policy is. 

I would not be surprised at all to see one or two of the players labelled as dead wood find a new lease of life under Alexander, it wouldn't be the first time a new manager has resurrected a player's career.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

How can anyone criticize todays lineup (whatever it may end up being), when the new manager doesn't know what any of them are like?

Any chance he could get a look at them playing so he can decide for himself who needs shipped out? I guarantee he's never even heard of Ricki Lamie or Jordan White, let alone know what their ability is.

Today is a complete write-off...we may need to accept a loss so he knows who needs binned. We should be extremely worried if he's just willing to take someones word for it.

It seems bizarre to me that people are always convinced Robbo's issues were that he'd signed bad players. It could be equally as likely that what he was strugging with, was players who were great in training but found it difficult to transfer that into a full match.

It's not necessarily about shipping players out, because it's not just as simple as players being good or bad. A manager who can look at a player who is performing well at training but poorly in matches, and find a way to help him transfer it across...is infinitely more valuable than a manager that just starts looking for better players.

Great post Al. The new manager will never have a better opportunity to assess his players, warts and all. Its a game which could, realistically, go any way. Jim Goodwin has had our tactics well and truly sussed as recent results against the Buddies prove, but we may just start to see signs of modest changes today, which may just wrong foot him - very early days though. 

The St Mirren physio has given approval for today's fixture to go ahead as Saints are almost at full strength ;)

On a more serious note, the BBC reports that Long and Lamie are unavailable, together with long term absentees. Kelly has been given clearance to play. 

Let's be honest, apart from Kelly there will be no new faces playing today, and GA will be relying on  Lasley and Ross in the team selection, so  we either put in a great performance ( tells me SR lost the dressing room) or its more of the same from recent weeks (we really do have too much dross in the team) and contrary to GA's initial assessment major surgery is required.

The next few games will be interesting  vuewing

• Like 2

I wonder if Alexander might try something totally different? Play 4-4-2 in a diamond? Both Carroll and O'Donnell have the legs to get forward and can deliver a cross. We have the defensive midfielders to make it work. Maybe having 2 up top not having to track back would give us more of a threat? Worth thinking about until we can get bodies in and out. Maybe too big a change for one training session right enough.

Kelly

SOD Deccy OHara Carroll

Maguire

Crawford Campbell

Polworth

Watt Cole/White

• Like 1

Interesting to see folk discussing whether we have actually signed bad players, or they're no that bad, it's just Stephen Robinson couldn't do anything to get a decent performance out of them. Either way, he doesn't leave smelling of roses.

Hopefully it's the latter for a few of them. 

1 hour ago, spudmfc said:

Ive given reasons as too why ive picked that team..you've given us a"god help us"feel free too shuffle the team about n see wot u can come up with,the system may change,but i doubt the players will 

Where do I start? SOD on the right of a back three? Lamie in the starting 11, mark o'hara at rwb is that? I know grimmy has played in the middle as a youth and last week, but i wouldn't have him in there over crawford or maguire. Not really sure what position you have watt and cole playing, CAM?  With jordan white up top? Don't need to explain that surely?

Kelly

SOD Gallagher  o'hara carroll

Campbell polworth crawford/maguire

Hastie     watt     cole

58 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I wonder if Alexander might try something totally different? Play 4-4-2 in a diamond? Both Carroll and O'Donnell have the legs to get forward and can deliver a cross. We have the defensive midfielders to make it work. Maybe having 2 up top not having to track back would give us more of a threat? Worth thinking about until we can get bodies in and out. Maybe too big a change for one training session right enough.

Kelly

SOD Deccy OHara Carroll

Maguire

Crawford Campbell

Polworth

Watt Cole/White

Like the look of us this well.

36 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Where do I start? SOD on the right of a back three? Lamie in the starting 11, mark o'hara at rwb is that? I know grimmy has played in the middle as a youth and last week, but i wouldn't have him in there over crawford or maguire. Not really sure what position you have watt and cole playing, CAM?  With jordan white up top? Don't need to explain that surely?

Kelly

SOD Gallagher  o'hara carroll

Campbell polworth crawford/maguire

Hastie     watt     cole

I defo cant have polworth in on current form in a game like this..same too b said of hastie(though we know from his time with us previously there's a player in there) 

Is crawford better than grimmy for the reason ive picked him..i dint think so

Tony watt is in there t link midfield n attack,i think hes wasted as an out and out front man and putting him in there might get him even more involved

SOD is only there on paper the whole midfield n back line is flexible to go from a 3 too a 4 or switch him with ohara..i really dont think it makes that much of a difference both can rotate positions 

Ill try and defend white here,he does score goals though his chances have been limited..we really dont know how good/bad he is,he has had 2 goals chalked off(wrongly IMO)but i would say that

We're 20 games in and still discussing players and formations all i can say is good luck too GA with this squad

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Ouch....just got to Q which one of a red card, penalty or goal he will give away this week. Still I suspect GA would rather have OHara in midfield. 

GA might have seen the Bevis cameo up front against Livingston and is going with that with O’Hara at the back?

• Like 1

Looks like a 4-4-2 (as we were tipped off on).

Players all in natural positions is a start.

There is one player in particular that I wouldn't have started but I think we need to approach this in the same way as the manager - a new start and we start judging players again from today on.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Looks like a 4-4-2 (as we were tipped off on).

Players all in natural positions is a start.

There is one player in particular that I wouldn't have started but I think we need to approach this in the same way as the manager - a new start and we start judging players again from today on.

looks like exactly the same line up as last week - only with O'Hara back.

Reckon Las picked the team to be honest. Too early for the new mgr as he's only had 1 training session