Season 2020’21: Game 21: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

Turned over to the St Mirren stream at FT to hear what they were saying about the penalty. It was shown two or three times and was never a pen. Their ex player said they had got away with one but these thing even out over the season. ^_^

I thought Mugabi had an excellent game and thought the pen was against Gallagher.

For me the difference was, they brought  on subs who could alter the game. We brought  on Jordan White and Barry Maguire for Hastie and Cole. That was not going to improve us. 

Left feeling a bit irked after that. There's positives of course but right now it feels like another missed opportunity.

First half was largely excellent.  Should have been a couple of goals to the good by half-time.  Some good individual performances. Collectively really good and barely gave St Mirren a sniff, Fraser's sclaffed effort aside.  Bit more clinical and the points could have been ours by quarter to four.

Quite a drop off in performance in the second half and St Mirren increasingly became more offensively minded but yet for all that until they were gifted the penalty I can't recollect St Mirren forcing Kelly to make a save of note.  There's surely some confirmation bias at play with Madden when it comes decisions in the Motherwell box.  You can argue we don't do ourselves any favours at times but history proves him to be remarkably adept at finding offending challenges, handballs and shirt-pulls in our penalty box.

It's a fair starting point for Alexander but I can't help but feel given the level of control we had in the first half, and that our concession came as it did, that we've left two points behind that we really should have taken.

Gallagher was all over him, and that's what the ref seemed to indicate. However, mugabi did swipe erwins foot just after that.

For the last year we have shown a tendency to buckle under pressure, and with st Mirren playing 4 up top, you just knew it was coming. The should have scored earlier,  with erahahaon missing a sitter.

Thankfully though, we finished the game on the ascendency with a good free kick from ohara, then testing them with corners. 

Overall it wasn't much of a difference from how we've played this season. Some good play in the first half, not taking chances, shitting it when the pressure is on.

Polworth was more involved, and Cole looked sharper. Carroll also did well. I thought we took a risk by keeping ohara on, but we must rate him. Campbell nearly sold the jerseys twice with poor passes. Thought mugabi was fine.

It was definitely gallagher who had his arms  around irwin's neck, I'm a big DG fan but he has a habit of putting his arms around the neck / shoulders of his opponent, I'm surprised he hasn't given more penalties away to be honest.

Mugabi was very good in the first half but he still gives me the fear everytime the ball is at his feet near his own goal.

All things considered, a point away against a side on a good run is not too bad, but it could easily have been three

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSR said:

All things considered, a point away against a side on a good run is not too bad, but it could easily have been three

It could also have been zero. If Saints had scored an equaliser earlier it really would have been squeaky bum time.

On another tack, Gallagher is one less game away from activating his extension clause.

12 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Left feeling a bit irked after that. There's positives of course but right now it feels like another missed opportunity.

First half was largely excellent.  Should have been a couple of goals to the good by half-time.  Some good individual performances. Collectively really good and barely gave St Mirren a sniff, Fraser's sclaffed effort aside.  Bit more clinical and the points could have been ours by quarter to four.

Quite a drop off in performance in the second half and St Mirren increasingly became more offensively minded but yet for all that until they were gifted the penalty I can't recollect St Mirren forcing Kelly to make a save of note.  There's surely some confirmation bias at play with Madden when it comes decisions in the Motherwell box.  You can argue we don't do ourselves any favours at times but history proves him to be remarkably adept at finding offending challenges, handballs and shirt-pulls in our penalty box.

It's a fair starting point for Alexander but I can't help but feel given the level of control we had in the first half, and that our concession came as it did, that we've left two points behind that we really should have taken.

and his decision on carson at tannadice ,,,, feckin pathetic baldy kno@end

Have been a huge critic of Hastie this season, but today was encouraging signs from him and the rest of the team. For the life of me can we stop bringing on Jordan White when we are winning it’s bad luck and he’s p1sh. Was pleased with that first showing and at least we are out of the bottom 2, definitely still need some new players in though. 

I'd rather look at the positives today without being full blown happy clappy...

...the 90mins proved to me that we have more than enough to stay out of bother. Ok, we didn't get the three points but we we deserved to.

If Tony Watt was better at finishing he would be playing at a far higher level than us.

Mr Alexander should make a centre back signing his highest priority 

It seems like a strange thing to say but I’m almost glad about today’s result. It doesn’t paper over any cracks and it lets Alexander see exactly what the rest of us have been viewing all year. 
He can see from that, that we quite often are a 45 minute team, we don’t shoot enough when a half chance is there and we have players who can perform but lack the confidence to see out a game. 
There were some good performances in the first half especially so I have faith. He doesn’t have an easy task however. 

• Like 1

Looked much better in the first half than of late, polwarth in particular looked like a different player. Disappointing second half but didn't think their penalty should have been given.

Erwin was backing in so much that he lost possession of the ball and threw himself to the ground once he realised the chance was gone. Thats how I saw it anyway, didn't see enough contact from mugabi and gallagher was only holding his ground. Story of the season in terms of not making the most of chances when on top though.

So a disappointing point in the circumstances but some definite positives there. A few reinforcements this month should hopefully see us fine.

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

Very similar to dundee utd game

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Never a penalty. Gallagher is completely fine, Erwin miscontrols then stretches then dives as Mugabi goes for the ball. 

It’s a shocker of a decision. If it’s given against Gallagher for pulling then we should be seeing a penalty at every corner in every game. 

Mugabi getting pelters on here again from the usual suspects. Surprised then to see the stats on BBC report of the game that fans who watched the game gave him the highest score of any of our defensive players. Ffs give the guy a break and get off his back. 

coyw

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Can’t believe some on here were saying it’s a penalty. An absolute joke of a decision. Probably maddens worst against us this season and that’s saying something

I only saw it on the shitty St Mirren stream one time and it looked like it was given for Mugabi tackling rashly.