Season 2020’21: Game 21: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

20 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Mugabi getting pelters on here again from the usual suspects. Surprised then to see the stats on BBC report of the game that fans who watched the game gave him the highest score of any of our defensive players. Ffs give the guy a break and get off his back. 

coyw

I thought he was our man of the match to be honest! And I wanted him dropped...

I cannot understand the desperation from a small minority of or fans to criticise and disparage the club at every single opportunity.

Robinson, Burrows, Mugabi,  Grimshaw, the boy Whyte.

That was never a penalty in a million years and yet we have posters like Shaka throwing all sorts of insults at Mugabi.

It is the strangest thing! Totally bizarre.Opposition fans would not be so critical of our club and players.

• Like 3

Never a penalty in my book. If anything Erwin lashes out at Mugabi with his foot. I'd better leave it at that. 

Interesting comment by the boss that when teams defend too deeply you look to the experienced players to push out and drive colleagues on. Thats just not happening.

26 minutes ago, star sail said:

I cannot understand the desperation from a small minority of or fans to criticise and disparage the club at every single opportunity.

Robinson, Burrows, Mugabi,  Grimshaw, the boy Whyte.

That was never a penalty in a million years and yet we have posters like Shaka throwing all sorts of insults at Mugabi.

It is the strangest thing! Totally bizarre.Opposition fans would not be so critical of our club and players.

I agree it was never a penalty, but do you know how it definately wouldnt have been given? Hmmm maybe if Mugabi hadnt dove in and looked like he clipped Erwin!! What was happening if he just stood? Absolutely NOTHING! Even Stevie Wonder can see Madden needs absolutely no excuse to penalize us in the box, so why is he diving in.... AGAIN?!

As I said in other posts, I wouldnt even mind if today was a 1 off, but last week the second goal, a simple clearance for even a pub league centre half, but he rashly and unexplicably tries to swipe at a ball 5 feet in the air with his foot, made a cunt of it and 5 seconds later the ball is in the net. And how many penalties has he given this season, 4? 5?

Not even exaggerating, literally every single time he plays he makes a major fuck up that causes a goal. When we are unable to score goals ourselves, that is suicide! 

Thought today totally encapsulated our season in 90 minutes.

Good first half. Controlled the play,. Played some nice stuff without carving out too many clear cut chances. Took one,  couldnt press home our advantage by converting another and giving ourselves breathing space. Totally allowed the opposition back into it 2nd half. Made some dubious substitutions that didnt improve much. Lost a goal to a really dubious refereeing decision. Failed to win 3 points.

On the plus side, we didnt capitulate. We actually seemed to react a little after the goal and finished strongly.  Mugabi, Carroll, Polworth, O'Hara, Hastie, Cole all put in vastly improved performances. Plenty for the new gaffer to be encouraged about but plenty of scope for further improvement.

8 minutes ago, Shaka said:

I agree it was never a penalty, but do you know how it definately wouldnt have been given? Hmmm maybe if Mugabi hadnt dove in and looked like he clipped Erwin!! What was happening if he just stood? Absolutely NOTHING! Even Stevie Wonder can see Madden needs absolutely no excuse to penalize us in the box, so why is he diving in.... AGAIN?!

As I said in other posts, I wouldnt even mind if today was a 1 off, but last week the second goal, a simple clearance for even a pub league centre half, but he rashly and unexplicably tries to swipe at a ball 5 feet in the air with his foot, made a cunt of it and 5 seconds later the ball is in the net. And how many penalties has he given this season, 4? 5?

Not even exaggerating, literally every single time he plays he makes a major fuck up that causes a goal. When we are unable to score goals ourselves, that is suicide! 

Shaka, I often think that much of what you say makes a lot of sense but the passion with which you say it  detracts sometimes from what can be good points.

Mugabi is far from perfect, a raw talent I think is what you could call it but there is a player in there if he could iron out the mistakes.

I get the frustration. Been there myself shouting and bawling in the stands but at some point you have to cut the players a break.

Mugabi can’t be blamed today for past mistakes. Calling him a c**t  is in my opinion a step to far. 

I think now is a good time to let these boys prove themselves and let the new manager either drop them or turn them into better players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We've played well before and not won - say Dundee Utd.

I think although the first half performance was much better than Accies or Aberdeen and some players upped their performance levels most of the problems are still there and haven't been cured simply by appointing a new manager.

We are 10 without a win and are away at Ibrox next.  Then we face Aberdeen with our stinking home record and have an absolutely crucial tie against Ross County.

We are still deep, deep, deep in the mire. 

No one should be getting complacent and we definitely need a talent injection in this window or it's going to be a long hard slog till the end of the season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We've played well before and not won - say Dundee Utd.

I think although the first half performance was much better than Accies or Aberdeen and some players upped their performance levels most of the problems are still there and haven't been cured simply by appointing a new manager.

We are 10 without a win and are away at Ibrox next.  Then we face Aberdeen with our stinking home record and have an absolutely crucial tie against Ross County.

We are still deep, deep, deep in the mire. 

No one should be getting complacent and we definitely need a talent injection in this window or it's going to be a long hard slog till the end of the season.

I think we are at home to Rangers next weekend. Not that it will make any difference. 

I am sure no one will get complacent on the back of a draw v St Mirren. 

What is obvious is how many goals we concede in the 70-90 minute period. Almost every week. Which means if you are winning you will either draw or lose the game or if you are losing well.....This needs to be addressed ASAP. Not sure if it is fitness or concentration or what but we definitely become a poorer team the longer the games goes on. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wellman said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head the reason we've lost late goals is we lazily defend deeper and deeper. This probably is a lack of fitness and once we get that sorted the mental fitness will follow. 

I think it’s more a lack of confidence, we just don’t trust ourselves to keep a clean sheet and need a leader at the back alongside Gallagher. However a fair amount of positives yesterday with the players again showing they are a match for anyone when they press and show a level of confidence. Nice to see Carroll slightly more up to speed and Kelly is defintly a step up quality wide. Mugabi did have a far better game and I do owe him an apology regarding the pen ( my bad). Even as a minimum if we could bring in another striker and commanding centre half I’m confident we will be fine.

19 minutes ago, wellman said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head the reason we've lost late goals is we lazily defend deeper and deeper. This probably is a lack of fitness and once we get that sorted the mental fitness will follow. 

That's not a recent problem we have been crap at seeing games out for a few years now, as you say defending too deep, our game management is shocking, hopefully GA can improve that aspect soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellman said:

As Spiderpig says, we've been defending too deeply for years, its not a recent thing. As I said above though, Graham Alexander commented on this failing and at 2.14 in his interview he says when a team does this its needs the experienced players to step up and drive things on - ours are simply not doing this. Its not laziness its either tiredness (mental/physical)  or an attitude problem. 

Mugabi still taking it in the neck today although seeing it on you tube I would say Gallagher is the culprit with his arms all over Erwin. I know Mugabi is no Beckenbauer but our new assistant manager was apparently a decent centre half so maybe he will be able to bring out the player who I think is in there. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I think it’s more a lack of confidence, we just don’t trust ourselves to keep a clean sheet and need a leader at the back alongside Gallagher. However a fair amount of positives yesterday with the players again showing they are a match for anyone when they press and show a level of confidence. Nice to see Carroll slightly more up to speed and Kelly is defintly a step up quality wide. Mugabi did have a far better game and I do owe him an apology regarding the pen ( my bad). Even as a minimum if we could bring in another striker and commanding centre half I’m confident we will be fine.

Gave up on McGinley already have you after predicting great things for him 

32 minutes ago, real dosser said:

I would say Gallagher is the culprit with his arms all over Erwin.  

He barely touched him. As far as I can see from the available camera angles he was attempting to stop him from turning before Erwin theatrically conned the officials by throwing himself to the ground. The boy should have been cautioned. 

• Like 1

Much better performance first half, better attitude whole game, at least trying to get the win at the death. Problems persist of a bench that weakens us, whoever comes on, and falling away later in the game. The players just don't look fit enough, which isn't helped by the understandable reluctance to bring subs on. Things that can hopefully be remedied over the next few weeks.