Season 2020’21: Game 21: St Mirren (A)

Andy_P

I think the fact we are all debating who was penalised says it all really. It honestly gets more annoying each time you watch it, he sees an infringement in that but against Rangers he feels Campbell getting wiped out merited no penalty.

Totally random I know but thinking back, Paisley has been one of those places where they have been given some mad decisions over the years, I think it was Stephen McManus that was hit in the coupon and a penalty was given and I know Collum gave one after Lasley fouled someone well out the box but thankfully the linesman stepped up on that occasion. Also the last day of Love Street I think it was Klimpl that was barged down as he was about to hit home but the ref clearly didn't want to spoil their day, it's weird the things you remember.

I was impressed by the performance in the first half, if we can build on that going forward I would be confident of getting out of trouble, it was a shame we went more defensive i the second half as I felt all the efforts they could muster up was from distance. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kat said:

I think the fact we are all debating who was penalised says it all really. It honestly gets more annoying each time you watch it, he sees an infringement in that but against Rangers he feels Campbell getting wiped out merited no penalty.

Totally random I know but thinking back, Paisley has been one of those places where they have been given some mad decisions over the years, I think it was Stephen McManus that was hit in the coupon and a penalty was given and I know Collum gave one after Lasley fouled someone well out the box but thankfully the linesman stepped up on that occasion. Also the last day of Love Street I think it was Klimpl that was barged down as he was about to hit home but the ref clearly didn't want to spoil their day, it's weird the things you remember.

I was impressed by the performance in the first half, if we can build on that going forward I would be confident of getting out of trouble, it was a shame we went more defensive i the second half as I felt all the efforts they could muster up was from distance. 

Fair to say we've had a number of howlers at our own accord in Paisley. Scottish cup knockout one year, Craigan stepping up and scoring one of his obligatory own goals that evening. 

The first half yesterday was, credit where due, one of the better performances this season. We passed well and moved forward with a reasonable confidence. Our ability to finish though is still a hairpuller and Tony Watt should've absolutely burst the net. As has been said, it was never a penalty but it was a bit chaotic in the box at that point. I just think any contact in the box nowadays is totally fraught with danger. The new goalie certainly gave us a lift, and St Mirren's keeper made a couple of cracking saves himself  on what was a few good shots on target. I felt from the offset in the second half though we seemed to be a fair bit deeper. Which is bloody frustrating to watch and costs. 

The most frustrating part though was the St Mirren commentary, you'd think they were Barcelona taking on Stenhousemuir. We could learn a thing or two though from the setup, the studio/interview thing they had going on pre match and at half time is something we could get on with and enhance our own online TV offering.  

30 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Problems persist of a bench that weakens us, whoever comes on

Remember the "strengthening 12-18" pish from not so very long ago? 

I really liked Robinson, and I certainly wouldn't lay all of the blame for all of our current woes at his door, but the more I look at the position we're in, the gladder I become that he resigned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

Gave up on McGinley already have you after predicting great things for him 

Not at all, I think McGinley could still come through, not sure  I ever “ predicted great things for him though” don’t think I’ve said that about any player other than Turnbull. I really don’t know why it seems to annoy you so much when I back Motherwell players or Motherwell managers, we are after all Motherwell supporters. I’m never going to be one to call players or managers “cunts” and the like, not my way I’m afraid. I actually look back and thing I’ve probably been unfair with my comments on Mugabi, he’s still young and I don’t remember any player improving due to taking abuse. Look you and I are always going to be different individuals, I’m a positive person In general and try and see the best in everyone, you are clearly nothing like me.

7 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Even as a minimum if we could bring in another striker and commanding centre half I’m confident we will be fine.

We definitely need a striker, actually let me re-phrase that, we definitely need a goal scorer.

If we'd had one yesterday we could have had the game put away at half time but if you can't score or at best get 1 then you are always going to drop points.

Can you imagine if all the chances that have dropped to Tony Watt this season had fallen to Louis Moult or Tommy Coyne?

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We definitely need a striker, actually let me re-phrase that, we definitely need a goal scorer.

If we'd had one yesterday we could have had the game put away at half time but if you can't score or at best get 1 then you are always going to drop points.

Can you imagine if all the chances that have dropped to Tony Watt this season had fallen to Louis Moult or Tommy Coyne?

We’d be top four/five.

I’ve not been impressed by White very much. Perhaps he would be a much better asset if we were playing him more like an old fashioned center forward and hitting cross balls into him inside the box. However, we don’t play like that and so I’m not sure why we bought him as he doesn’t fit well into our mode of play and so bringing him on as a sub always weakens us. He just doesn’t chase and harass as the first line of defense and doesn’t seem able to hold up the ball and bring others into play. He’s not the only problem and as mentioned, to be fair, parts of his issue may be how we use him. 

50 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

He just doesn’t chase and harass as the first line of defense and doesn’t seem able to hold up the ball and bring others into play. He’s not the only problem and as mentioned, to be fair, parts of his issue may be how we use him. 

To be fair to him, he said on arrival, that he wasn't an old fashioned target man. We haven't had a "main striker" for some time now. 

13 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

by 'old fashioned' he meant someone who would score goals.

Yes. Of the Era where 7 was outside right and 11 was outside left and they would sling balls into the box for centre forward 9 who would push his granny out of the way to get to ball and steer it goalward.  Pretty sad that I’m old enough now to where there are multiple old fashions to consider. :wacko:

Now that we have all seen Sportscene, can we agree that it wasnt a penalty, Mugabi did nothing wrong and actually played the ball? Still doesnt change the fact that St Mirren probably deserved their point, just not like that!

Just watched the, admittedly very  limited, highlights on BBC. Quick assessment is that our defence is still shambolic at times, allowing Saints space and time in and around our box.  A better team would have punished us for these errors.  The penalty? Whatever it was given for, Mugabi did nothing wrong whatsoever. I doubt that Gallagher did much either.  If referees are giving penalties for that kind of thing, then we're going to see 7 or 8 per game.  It'll be interesting if Madden explains his decision to the club, I don't think he is obliged to.

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the, admittedly very  limited, highlights on BBC. Quick assessment is that our defence is still shambolic at times, allowing Saints space and time in and around our box.  A better team would have punished us for these errors.  The penalty? Whatever it was given for, Mugabi did nothing wrong whatsoever. I doubt that Gallagher did much either.  If referees are giving penalties for that kind of thing, then we're going to see 7 or 8 per game.  It'll be interesting if Madden explains his decision to the club, I don't think he is obliged to.

Looked like Erwin made contact with Mugabi which wasn’t what I thought I saw on the stream.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Now that we have all seen Sportscene, can we agree that it wasnt a penalty, Mugabi did nothing wrong and actually played the ball? Still doesnt change the fact that St Mirren probably deserved their point, just not like that!

it shouldn't have been a pen - don't blame the ref on this one though- pretty sure it was down to the linesman .

Still believe we need a centre half though

52 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

it shouldn't have been a pen - don't blame the ref on this one though- pretty sure it was down to the linesman .

Still believe we need a centre half though

Never a pen , a feckin disgraceful decision, no contact by any Motherwell player, Erwin should have been booked for diving.

As for "don't blame the ref" why not, he's in charge no where near play, the linesman is even further away, so even if madden gets a call from the assistant, can he be 100% sure and award it, I think not.

Simple fact is Madden and the linesman made a rip roaring James hunt of it,  but he's in charge so he takes the full blame, sooner we get VAR the better.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Never a pen , a feckin disgraceful decision, no contact by any Motherwell player, Erwin should have been booked for diving.

As for "don't blame the ref" why not, he's in charge no where near play, the linesman is even further away, so even if madden gets a call from the assistant, can he be 100% sure and award it, I think not.

Simple fact is Madden and the linesman made a rip roaring James hunt of it,  but he's in charge so he takes the full blame, sooner we get VAR the better.

Have to say I hate VAR, the players and supporters don’t know whether to celebrate or just wait for the inevitable check. 

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Two chances/ headers come to mind for me .........opening game of the season  that Lang had at Ross County  and Watts yesterday.......It’s beyond me how they failed to score.........goals change games

Tin hat on here ...........would the boo boys favourite White have scored ??? 
Only asking;)

43 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Two chances/ headers come to mind for me .........opening game of the season  that Lang had at Ross County  and Watts yesterday.......It’s beyond me how they failed to score.........goals change games

Only asking;)

No

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

How did they deserve a point? Cant think of any saves bar the free kick that Kelly had to make. 

Hopefully we get a few dodgy pens along the way and we can say " we deserved a point or three"

48 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

How did they deserve a point? Cant think of any saves bar the free kick that Kelly had to make. 

Hopefully we get a few dodgy pens along the way and we can say " we deserved a point or three"

On the balance of play, St Mirren were the better team in the 2nd half, just as we were in the first. 

3 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Only asking;)

They would have been disallowed 

13 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

VAR would have backed the referee up I think...there was contact from Gallagher on Erwin at the very least