Jump to content

Andy_P

Season 2020’21: Game 21: St Mirren (A)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

How did they deserve a point? Cant think of any saves bar the free kick that Kelly had to make. 

Hopefully we get a few dodgy pens along the way and we can say " we deserved a point or three"

Agree...we dominated the 1st half and created chances...St Madden had possession in the 2nd half but created very little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

VAR would have backed the referee up I think...there was contact from Gallagher on Erwin at the very least

I don’t think Gallagher was involved in the penalty incident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ropy said:

I don’t think Gallagher was involved in the penalty incident.

My guess is that he wasn't but due to the secrecy of refereeing no-one seems to know for certain. This is a classic case where the referee could clear up the confusion instantly by explaining why he gave St Mirren the penalty. That however may involve him in admitting he was wrong. Thats not going to happen. Referees should not award a penalty if they think a foul has been committed  they have to be almost certain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

On the balance of play, St Mirren were the better team in the 2nd half, just as we were in the first. 

So you deserve a point for having a lot of the ball and not creating chances, we should be top half of league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

My guess is that he wasn't but due to the secrecy of refereeing no-one seems to know for certain. This is a classic case where the referee could clear up the confusion instantly by explaining why he gave St Mirren the penalty. That however may involve him in admitting he was wrong. Thats not going to happen. Referees should not award a penalty if they think a foul has been committed  they have to be almost certain.

He wouldn't even have to admit he was wrong. He'd just need to say that from where he was standing it looked like there was illegal contact (or whatever). Nobody can argue with that, and even if video after the fact shows it wasn't a penalty, nobody can dispute what he thought he saw from his vantage point.

That way, fans at least get to hear his reasoning, and no admission of error needs to be made.

Unfortunately, given we operate in a footballing world where sections of fans vandalise houses and send live bullets through the mail, the chances of level-headed conversation is slim to none.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

He wouldn't even have to admit he was wrong. He'd just need to say that from where he was standing it looked like there was illegal contact (or whatever). Nobody can argue with that, and even if video after the fact shows it wasn't a penalty, nobody can dispute what he thought he saw from his vantage point.

That's why Scottish football needs VAR to be implemented,  then for situations like Saturday it can be looked at by another referee or how many there are in the VAR booth.

Then hopefully the very poor refereeing we see week in week out in Scotland will  improve, and the likes of Madden, Dallas and Collum etc would finally be in some way answerable for their dodgy decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

That's why Scottish football needs VAR to be implemented,  then for situations like Saturday it can be looked at by another referee or how many there are in the VAR booth.

Then hopefully the very poor refereeing we see week in week out in Scotland will  improve, and the likes of Madden, Dallas and Collum etc would finally be in some way answerable for their dodgy decisions. 

I thought the ref had a decent game - the pen was given by the assistant .  Not sold that VAR would have given a different decision, every week MoTD complains about VAR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

So you deserve a point for having a lot of the ball and not creating chances, we should be top half of league.

I generally feel that the team that plays the best deserves to win the game. You dont always get what you deserve but thats fitba'.

St Mirren had a gilt edged chance in the first half and another in the second as well as the free kick. 

We had the goal, Watts header and O'Hara's free kick. So if you want to ignore the balance of play and go on chances alone a draw probably was still the correct result.

Not sure why that part of my post seems to have irked you.  I talk enough shite to find fault with without focussing on a minor matter of opinion.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I generally feel that the team that plays the best deserves to win the game. You dont always get what you deserve but thats fitba'.

St Mirren had a gilt edged chance in the first half and another in the second as well as the free kick. 

We had the goal, Watts header and O'Hara's free kick. So if you want to ignore the balance of play and go on chances alone a draw probably was still the correct result.

Not sure why that part of my post seems to have irked you.  I talk enough shite to find fault with without focussing on a minor matter of opinion.

 

 

Cole had probably the 2nd best chance of the game behind Watt's header when he pulled his shot. We should have been well out of sight in the first half 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That's why Scottish football needs VAR to be implemented,  then for situations like Saturday it can be looked at by another referee or how many there are in the VAR booth.

Then hopefully the very poor refereeing we see week in week out in Scotland will  improve, and the likes of Madden, Dallas and Collum etc would finally be in some way answerable for their dodgy decisions. 

Up here you would probably get 15 mins of football and 75 mins of referees looking at tv screens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

That's why Scottish football needs VAR to be implemented,  then for situations like Saturday it can be looked at by another referee or how many there are in the VAR booth.

Then hopefully the very poor refereeing we see week in week out in Scotland will  improve, and the likes of Madden, Dallas and Collum etc would finally be in some way answerable for their dodgy decisions. 

It'll be Madden, Dalls and Collum etc in the VAR booth, so I wouldn't hold your breath that they'll all of a sudden start getting things wrong less often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pepper said:

Cole had probably the 2nd best chance of the game behind Watt's header when he pulled his shot. We should have been well out of sight in the first half 

Coles chance was a good one. But not any better than the St Mirren chance at the other end that met with the same fate. Or the one that Erhahon missed in the second half. The debate here is whether St Mirren deserved a point or not regardless of the penalty that should never have been given. I would contest that they were deserving of a point. Others may differ.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Seeing the mess that the EPL have made of implementing var, the thought of letting the SPFL loose on it gives me the fear. 

Should only use it for stuff like penalties, with offsides it should be ones where they are unsure and the player has to be completely offside, not an armpit hair offside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would just implement it the same way they do in England which ruins the game for me. The average supporter down south can’t stand it and would rather go back to the way it was and accept the referee mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me thinks the English are trying their best to make it look bad so they get to drop it!

Europe works perfectly fine in the main. I believe it doesnt get used for marginal offsides. A foot is offside, but a lace or a pube isnt counted

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Should only use it for stuff like penalties, with offsides it should be ones where they are unsure and the player has to be completely offside, not an armpit hair offside.

If you're offside you're offside a mile off or a bawhair off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officials in Scotland would use VAR in the same way they officiate other aspects of the game. You could have the identical 'ball to arm' situations at both ends in the space of 2 minutes, one will be deemed a penalty and the other denied. It all depends on the team involved.  As usual our expert pundits will contradict themselves to justify both decisions with differing versions of what a natural silhouette is.

Its the same with challenges in the box. "Kipre did touch Sinclair so it was a penalty and a red", happens in another game the same weekend and "there is a touch but not enough for him to go down".

End of the day the clubs who are normally the beneficiary of the big decisions will still get them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, supermarv said:

Should only use it for stuff like penalties, with offsides it should be ones where they are unsure and the player has to be completely offside, not an armpit hair offside.

Don't disagree, but i suspect the spfl would copy what they do down south and interrogate everything. I could be wrong on that.

For me the var ref should get a time, say 15 seconds to make a call. If it is "clear and obvious" then you should be able to make that call in the given time. If you need to get the ruler out and start drawing lines and all this carry on, then its not a clear enough error to overturn.

I think we all know how these decisions would go in certain circumstances though...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shaka said:

Part of me thinks the English are trying their best to make it look bad so they get to drop it!

Europe works perfectly fine in the main. I believe it doesnt get used for marginal offsides. A foot is offside, but a lace or a pube isnt counted

That’s what it should be everywhere and what I’d think is personally the best solution 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

Officials in Scotland would use VAR in the same way they officiate other aspects of the game. You could have the identical 'ball to arm' situations at both ends in the space of 2 minutes, one will be deemed a penalty and the other denied. It all depends on the team involved.  As usual our expert pundits will contradict themselves to justify both decisions with differing versions of what a natural silhouette is.

Its the same with challenges in the box. "Kipre did touch Sinclair so it was a penalty and a red", happens in another game the same weekend and "there is a touch but not enough for him to go down".

End of the day the clubs who are normally the beneficiary of the big decisions will still get them.

Neither a penalty or a red card would have been given if a motherwell player had collapsed in the box that day.. On a side note I saw a picture of Polaris Sinclair at the weekend walking in the snow with his kids, given that he found it difficult to keep on his feet on grass I found it astonishing that he managed to stay upright in the snow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone that wants VAR should be watching the Burnley/Man Utd game tonight. More time spent with the players standing around waiting for a decision than actually playing football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Anyone that wants VAR should be watching the Burnley/Man Utd game tonight. More time spent with the players standing around waiting for a decision than actually playing football.

But when fans get back into stadiums, that'll equate to more time to visit the kiosk! Revenue generation at its finest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×