2021 Scottish Cup Campaign

Welldaft Mk1

On the subject of Hampden,  it was 30 years ago tonight we were there watching the Well pump Celtic 4-2 in the semi final replay, still can't believe O'Neill scored that goal, what a night that was,  happy days :nod:

Wonderful night and memories. Had to call in sick the following morning and I’m sure I wouldn’t be the only one. All the sweeter as my boss was a rabid tim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Epic night. I was right behind the goals and Bonner's body obscured my view of Psycho hitting that ball. Just remember Bonner looking as if he was struggling to dive and the ball nestling in the back of the net.  Scenes of mentalness. Even my da' who was getting on a bit at the time, was jumping about like a nutter, hugging random cunts :-) Kirk's goal seemed to me to take an age to get given after the ball went round the staunchion. Crazy moments when it was given. Like Bobbybingo, you just knew then there was no way back for them, but even after Psycho's goal, it looked like someone had stuck a fork in Celtic, the players shoulders went down, we started winning the 50/50s that we'd been losing, the ball started to run for us. Best night ever. Enjoyed it much more than the final, which was just toooooo tense for me.

On a side note, the first semi I ever went to (at Hampden) was 75/76 when the h**s and a corrupt ref put us out 3-2.  I went to every one from then on and we lost every one until '91. Was a tremendous moment in the life of any Motherwell fan.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

On a side note, the first semi I ever went to (at Hampden) was 75/76 when the h**s and a corrupt ref put us out 3-2.  I went to every one from then on and we lost every one until '91. Was a tremendous moment in the life of any Motherwell fan.

The previous year's semi-final against Airdrie was my first ever Motherwell game. Every semi between then and 91 was against the Old Firm, felt like we'd never get over that hurdle. 16 years seemed like forever then, and like the blink of an eye now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The previous year's semi-final against Airdrie was my first ever Motherwell game. Every semi between then and 91 was against the Old Firm, felt like we'd never get over that hurdle. 16 years seemed like forever then, and like the blink of an eye now.

That was the season my old man started taking me to games regularly and he flat out refused to take me to Hampden for the Airdrie Semi(s). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AllyMax said:

That was the season my old man started taking me to games regularly and he flat out refused to take me to Hampden for the Airdrie Semi(s). 

Lucky you. I was at the Saturday game but the replay was too late for me. Or my constant "who/what/why's that?" was too bloody annoying for my dad.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Lucky you. I was at the Saturday game but the replay was too late for me. Or my constant "who/what/why's that?" was too bloody annoying for my dad.

Imagine him trying to explain the goalie/steps rule to you at the replay.......

• Haha 1

Imagine him trying to explain the goalie/steps rule to you at the replay.......

And of course it was the one and only time it was ever enforced I think.

Went to school in A.....e and had to endure torture in the weeks after. Gave and took a few “fat lips” during that time. Derek Whiteford was my PE teacher and was the worst of the lot - not at giving “fat lips” I might add.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

And of course it was the one and only time it was ever enforced I think.

Went to school in A.....e and had to endure torture in the weeks after. Gave and took a few “fat lips” during that time. Derek Whiteford was my PE teacher and was the worst of the lot emoji23.pngemoji23.png - not at giving “fat lips” I might add.

I know that rule doesn't apply any more but from going to the fitba' every week pretty much from early 70's to whenever that rule was removed (same time as introduction of the passback rule maybe ?) I don't think I've ever seen it being given. Much rarer than other natural phenomena, e.g. getting a penalty at Ibrox.

• Like 1

Games probably off due to some funeral taking place at 3pm. Absolute nonsense. This burial should be a private affair for the 30 people attending and let the rest of us get on with our life. By all means show it on the telly and give people the choice of what to watch, however, for me it’s the football every time. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Games probably off due to some funeral taking place at 3pm. Absolute nonsense. This burial should be a private affair for the 30 people attending and let the rest of us get on with our life. By all means show it on the telly and give people the choice of what to watch, however, for me it’s the football every time. 

Well said , people are dying every day so no need to rearrange the world, and probably half the country don't give a shit Anyway,  a private family funeral is all that's needed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Well said , people are dying every day so no need to rearrange the world, and probably half the country don't give a shit Anyway,  a private family funeral is all that's needed.

I was reading today the BBC had to set up a special complaints form on its website to deal with the huge volume of complaints regarding the cancellation of Friday night's telly and radio programmes.

The SFA might be wise to take note. (Spoiler Alert: they won't take note).

On 4/10/2021 at 11:03 PM, weeyin said:

I was reading today the BBC had to set up a special complaints form on its website to deal with the huge volume of complaints regarding the cancellation of Friday night's telly and radio programmes.

The SFA might be wise to take note. (Spoiler Alert: they won't take note).

They got it in the neck from the usual suspects for having a complaints form, as this encouraged people to complain. Well, when you're at a loose end cos there's nothing decent on telly....

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

It does not matter that much this season as there are no fans in the grounds ,but moving the whole weekend fixture list around to accommodate a televised funeral that probably 75% of the country won't watch or give a shit about is fekin nonsense.

But given its the SFA organising it it does not surprise me. Given the pandemic and the ongoing problems facing the country there are far more important issues to sort out, the whole response to this has been way over the top.

• Like 1

I don’t think we can have a go at the SFA in this instance. While there may not be a written protocol, there will be an understanding of what is the ‘done thing’ in such circumstances. English football, rugby, cricket and horse racing have altered their fixtures while the decision on the snooker world champs is pending. Had the SFA not done likewise, they’d be open to staunch criticism.

With no crowds, the inconvenience is minimal so we might as well take this on the chin and give royalists one less thing to greet about.