2021 Scottish Cup Campaign

Welldaft Mk1

13 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Time to question the manager on bloody awful negative tactics. Positive play only came when his hand was forced. Our defeat today lies squarely at his door. 

Never heard such pish in all my life, we were 2 down with 11 mins left, he changed our line up and we got back to 2-2, we then went on to boss the game, had a great chance in extra time to win it.  

Was it GA's fault O'Hara and Lawless made a mess of both their pens, I think not, if you need to blame anybody blame Magloire for giving Doidge a free header, or the linesman for not spotting an obvious offside, but blaming GA is feckin nonsense.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Never heard such pish in all my life, we were 2 down with 11 mins left, he changed our line up and we got back to 2-2, we then went on to boss the game, had a great chance in extra time to win it.  

Was it GA's fault O'Hara and Lawless made a mess of both their pens, I think not, if you need to blame anybody blame Magloire for giving Doidge a free header, or the linesman for not spotting an obvious offside, but blaming GA is feckin nonsense.

Oh I find that hard to believe I've read some of your posts. We were fuckin dreadful for 70 mins we set out not to concede a goal,  we never went out to win that game until our arse was half way out the cup.

30 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Time to question the manager on bloody awful negative tactics. Positive play only came when his hand was forced. Our defeat today lies squarely at his door. 

The biggest criticism of Alexander from Salford fans was that he is too negative tactically particularly when his teams go in front. This was evident at Accies. 

It has been a very strange season in so many ways. The season started with high hopes. The opinion was that our squad of players was strong and I think the fact that we have pretty much matched the 3rd best team in Scotland over 390 mins of football suggests that the initial optimism was not without foundation. 

This team have underachieved this season and something about the teams mental approach to the season as a whole has to be questioned. 

Alexander has brought league safety, a reasonable cup showing and what seems to be more resilience to the side. For now, I am happy with that. I think as Motherwell fans we tend to forget about the dross we watch year in and year out under every manager. The optimists in us remember the good performances like it is the norm. 

Let's see what Alexander can do with his own team next year. As far as this term goes, I would have biten a hand off to be in the position we see ourselves in this evening back in February. Still feel a bit gutted tonight all the same! 

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Oh I find that hard to believe I've read some of your posts. We were fuckin dreadful for 70 mins we set out not to concede a goal,  we never went out to win that game until our arse was half way out the cup.

99% of Well fans would not give a toss if we were dross for 89 mins and go on to win it in the last minute,  it's a cup game all that counts is getting through, but you knock yourself out blaming GA, every forum needs a troll or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

There’s a reason why we released him many years ago. Re-signing him now was akin to Alex Burns re-signing after a good season at Partick Thistle, ie. totally pointless. And Burns probably contributed more during his two spells.

absolutely - Partick Thistle is the right level for him.   Hopefully there's no extension to his contract. 

33 minutes ago, well_said said:

I think the time to judge Alexander is when he has his own players in and not the dross that Robinson and Foyle have left him.

Agree he needs more time.

Equally he can be judged on his time so far.  He's guided us to safety but leaves doubt with his tactics. 

I'd also question how personable he is as a manager - his pre/post match conferences are dull dull dull. As are our performances. 

19 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

....if you need to blame anybody blame Magloire for giving Doidge a free header....but blaming GA is feckin nonsense.

As with Lawless, Magloire didn't wander onto that park uninvited. I'm not laying it all at Alexander's door, but he had alternatives to both players, so if anyone thinks they're to blame,  some of that has to fall on the manager too. 

• Like 1

We can certainly debate some of his decisions and tactics since his arrival but credit where it's due he pulled us out of a tailspin . Don't think many on this forum thought we could win today but it was good to see a bit of spirit on show . Yes he will need to perform major surgery on that team we have no quality in midfield and I wish Alan Campbell well wherever he ends up because he has to leave us to progress we really have burnt him out . The transfer window will be interesting for us fans ,let's see what GA can produce on the pitch next season it's got to be better than we have watched recently or rightly so he will be criticised 

• Like 2

It was a great end to the 90 minutes, one of those moments that would have been tremendous experience live as Hibs Hibsed it. Despite doing well on the penalty front this season you can't help but be disappointed in the manner that some were taken, it was all to reminiscent of the game last year against St Mirren leaving us thinking what might have been.  Fair play to Hibs, outwith the Old Firm the quality with the other 10 sides is so marginal its amazing they have done so well with the likes of Gogic and McGinn this season. That's three out of four fixtures against Hibs that they have had a major decision go their way, in the next three games we must be due some amount of decisions for all this to balance out, I think most fans now just want to see this season concealed to the history books and hopefully come the start of the new campaign we can all head along to see a much better side in action.

• Like 1

I am more gutted losing on pens than I was at 2-0 and resigned to defeat.  The ohara and lawless pens were terrible.  Starting magloire and bringing on lawless weren't good decisions from GA but I like him and will give him summer to see what he brings in and clears out.  The biggest plus of a poor season has been Tony Watt, a guy who has proved a lot wrong and shown a great attitude (and is a great co commentator). I would like to see a few youngsters blooded in next few games,  gives them experience and they will be up for it.  COYW

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I am more gutted losing on pens than I was at 2-0 and resigned to defeat.  The ohara and lawless pens were terrible.  Starting magloire and bringing on lawless weren't good decisions from GA but I like him and will give him summer to see what he brings in and clears out.  The biggest plus of a poor season has been Tony Watt, a guy who has proved a lot wrong and shown a great attitude (and is a great co commentator). I would like to see a few youngsters blooded in next few games,  gives them experience and they will be up for it.  COYW

Totally agree when we signed Watt I was like wtf is he going to bring to us but how wrong have I been.Been outstanding think he has improved since Alexander came in aswell seems to have settled with us and is enjoying his football.

So let's see out these games get a three wins and a decent summer transfer window behind us.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Given our recent penalty shootout form I honestly thought we would go through,  Kelly Is always good for at least one save, as he proved today, but O'Hara and Lawless's efforts were shocking, so after doing all the hard work to equalise and take it to pens we blew it, a big chance missed.

This season was always going to be unpredictable with the whole covid situation,add in we had two poor transfer windows and had to change manager,all things considered were in fairly decent shape as there was a couple of points this season where I really thought we were in  danger of going down.as for alexander it was job done in keeping us up,let's be honest he inherited a bit of a mess,a bloated squad that didn't look comfortable no matter what formation we tried,I think even better managers than alexander couldn't have done much better than he has,granted some of the performances have been poor and the approach to the second half against accies was frustrating but he's made us more organized with a bit more character about us,two traits that hopefully we see more of next season when we're there to witness it in person.we badly need a good summer transfer window whatever way we decide to approach it,fingers crossed alexander has seen enough of what we have already at the club and the league in general to try and make us better next season.im gutted about today I really thought we were going to go on and win it when we equalised but it wasn't to be but the thought of hopefully being back at the new look east stand soon in the sunshine watching us play again is enough to quickly get over today :D.

55 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Given our recent penalty shootout form I honestly thought we would go through,  Kelly Is always good for at least one save, as he proved today, but O'Hara and Lawless's efforts were shocking, so after doing all the hard work to equalise and take it to pens we blew it, a big chance missed.

To be fair I did not think either penalty miss was shocking. Lawless hitting the post shows his thoughts that with a 6ft 7 keeper u need to put it in the corner.  Probably more disappointed with OHara as he is usually quite good. As someone said elsewhere - hit them hard and low v a man mountain keeper. 

Disappointed but to be fair to Hibs their penalties were perfect especially the two tucked away in the corner. 

3 hours ago, mfc said:

Gutted,atleast we showed a bit of character to get back into the game,something that's been lacking all season.its just another game that shows some aren't up to the job,I'm not mugabis biggest fan but why is magloire playing in front of him when we know mugabi will be here next season,lawless is rotten,it's about time we sent a player livingston's way,get him out the door in the summer.

martindale said somewhere i read      forrest was a better option   , thats why he wasnt to bothered he left ( when martindale was ass mang )

I did not watch the game today but have just watched the highlights and I am absolutely raging. The incompetence of  officials in this country is beyond  belief.  What is worse do they not even know the rules? Two  players should be between the goal and the attacker and when the goalie steps out they should be well aware of this situation. On Sportscene they glossed over it by saying it was a great  move as if that made it alright and then excused the officials as it was an unusual situation.  Imagine the meltdown if the same move sees the bigots knocked out tomorrow .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

There’s a reason why we released him many years ago. Re-signing him now was akin to Alex Burns re-signing after a good season at Partick Thistle, ie. totally pointless. And Burns probably contributed more during his two spells.

the scout that hunted was right       the scout (cant ) that then resigned  him was wrong          he is proper SHITE     bye bye cunt 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

We can certainly debate some of his decisions and tactics since his arrival but credit where it's due he pulled us out of a tailspin . Don't think many on this forum thought we could win today but it was good to see a bit of spirit on show . Yes he will need to perform major surgery on that team we have no quality in midfield and I wish Alan Campbell well wherever he ends up because he has to leave us to progress we really have burnt him out . The transfer window will be interesting for us fans ,let's see what GA can produce on the pitch next season it's got to be better than we have watched recently or rightly so he will be criticised 

hi ya yoda ma big pal      when does the GA oot thread start ??? just askin for somebody  :D

18 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

To be fair I did not think either penalty miss was shocking. Lawless hitting the post shows his thoughts that with a 6ft 7 keeper u need to put it in the corner.  Probably more disappointed with OHara as he is usually quite good. As someone said elsewhere - hit them hard and low v a man mountain keeper. 

Disappointed but to be fair to Hibs their penalties were perfect especially the two tucked away in the corner. 

a blind guy running for the bus knew the way he shaped his body and being a left footer where he was hitting it 

a big fecking tommy gemmell toe poke beats aw the fancy goalies