2021 Scottish Cup Campaign

Welldaft Mk1

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

seasons over

time to play some of the young guns and see if they're ready.

It would be nice to see some of the players he signed/loaned in January,  but that sums up our season, I can’t remember a season where we had as many injuries as we had,  I take it that Donnelly and Carson are also out for the rest of the season?

Three games left, 7th to play for. I see all this “we gotta go with our best team” stuff all the time. Yes £120k from 9th to 7th can’t be grumbled at but  these games should keep be used for players signed for us in the long term or youth. Playing journeymen who have no future here or we can’t make anything out of should be bench warming from now on. Unless part of the agreement with their parent club included appearance caveats.

Watt, O’Donnell, Bevis, Lamie, Crawford, Lawless etc. should be starting.

Cole and Campbell at decent servants got the club and we owe it to let them to shop window themselves and get a move.

Dec, as while I’m not thrilled with his behaviour in January we stand to make money on him if selected for the Euro’s.

The rest should be contracted fringe players and kids. All with something to prove and hunger which has been missing. 

What better time to do it than at the tail end of the season against 2 teams worse and one slightly better than us.

I don’t see any merit in playing Long or Magliore again unless Alexander wants their signature.

The "Motherwell rollercoaster" chat grinds my gears a bit but I guess it's a perfect description of events yesterday evening. Quite the mixture of emotions.

It wasn't a surprise how we lined up nor the aim of attempting to keep the game as tight and restrict Hibs as much as possible.  The surprises came later at the point we went two behind.  One nil you always have an opportunity.  When you go two down that's altogether different.  Cole's opportunity and the shot straight at the keeper apart from Allan Campbell I was thinking what a bland, nothing way to exit the competition having struggled to lay a glove on them. 

And then...

I suspect Lamie was simply trying to put the ball back in a dangerous area but it looked the part and suddenly the switch was flicked and it was all Motherwell.  I'm trying to imagine what the scenes would have been like had we all been behind that goal, a day on the sauce in the capital and grabbing an 88th minute equaliser in front of us.  That would have been carnage! 

The chance to seal it was the one that just fell out of reach of Lawless and then Cole. That was the moment.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be.  Kelly continues to impress when facing penalties with another save but when our own players don't make their keeper make a save well... 

You're left with a mixture of emotions from the despair of the exit, the pride at the recovery from looking totally out of it to taking it virtually the last kick of the ball and what if's about adopting that more positive outlook earlier in the game.

We can take credit for sticking with it, feel a bit more encouraged at what we can do when let off the leash but ultimately we're out and that's still a bit of a pisser to wake up to today.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Kat said:

That's three out of four fixtures against Hibs that they have had a major decision go their way, in the next three games we must be due some amount of decisions for all this to balance out, I think most fans now just want to see this season concealed to the history books and hopefully come the start of the new campaign we can all head along to see a much better side in action.

This. In our last 2 cup ties we've been denied a stonewall penalty and conceded a wrongly awarded goal. I'm not saying these decisions cost us wins over 90 minutes but they certainly didn't help. To win the cup you have to have an element of luck on your side and in that respect we failed miserably.

I just want this season done and dusted now but don't want it to end with a whimper against sides fighting for their lives.

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

The "Motherwell rollercoaster" chat grinds my gears a bit but I guess it's a perfect description of events yesterday evening. Quite the mixture of emotions.

It grinds my gears too, because pretty much every fan in Scotland outside of the OF goes through what we go through. Ditto for every other league in the world. The expectations may be different depending on the size of the club, but the vagaries of the game are what keep us coming back.

You just need to watch a handful of games across the leagues on any given weekend to see that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

What a nightmare that was!!,  had a horrible dream,  we were 2-0 down with 7 mins to go and then had the almighty comeback to take it into extra time,  but then 2 honking penalty attempts put us out........aw nawwww so it actually happened? BAWS

To rub salt into the wounds, St Johnstone will knock Rangers out leaving the cup wide open. 

if you happen to be watching the abdn/dundee utd game, Utd's second goal was something that would have had our fans frothing at the mouth over and calling for the central defenders to be lined up and shot. As weeyin said, there's very little between the SPL teams, outside the gruesome twosome.  All capable of being OK and also capable of looking proper shite. Dundee utd got themselves ripped a new one by Killie the other night, all over the park for almost the full 90 mins. Today they're dominating a side well above them in the league. The football being played today is almost non existent.  It's an error fest of misplaced passes and miskicks.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

if you happen to be watching the abdn/dundee utd game, Utd's second goal was something that would have had our fans frothing at the mouth over and calling for the central defenders to be lined up and shot. As weeyin said, there's very little between the SPL teams, outside the gruesome twosome.  All capable of being OK and also capable of looking proper shite. Dundee utd got themselves ripped a new one by Killie the other night, all over the park for almost the full 90 mins. Today they're dominating a side well above them in the league. The football being played today is almost non existent.  It's an error fest of misplaced passes and miskicks.

If anyone wants to see something truly terrifying, take a look at Stephen Glass' managerial record, such as it is. If we'd appointed him, I'd be raging.

6 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If anyone wants to see something truly terrifying, take a look at Stephen Glass' managerial record, such as it is. If we'd appointed him, I'd be raging.

And his team are performing to his managerial standard perfectly !

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Pity we didn't get drawn against Aberdeen. They have been beyond woeful today. Nothing up front and defensively awful.

I'm sure we could have been woefuler......

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Jeez, jut looked it up. How the fuck did he get that job ??????

4 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Did he not manage some team in the US who Dave Cormack owned or had some kind of interest in?

Aye, both the top team and the '2' team. His win rate is less than 25%. Managed 8 games in ireland (4 wins 4 losses) and 5 here (2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses) so as well as being really inexperienced at any level. he also has a shit record. If we'd employed someone with that record, this forum would be in meltdown !!

19 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Aye, both the top team and the '2' team. His win rate is less than 25%. Managed 8 games in ireland (4 wins 4 losses) and 5 here (2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses) so as well as being really inexperienced at any level. he also has a shit record. If we'd employed someone with that record, this forum would be in meltdown !!

His 9 wins out of 38 with the Atlanta 2 in the USL is particularly unimpressive.

I have no problems with teams taking a chance on up and coming managers, but he doesn't seem to be more than a below average reserve team coach who happened to have played for Aberdeen. You have to imagine he was the cheap option.

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

This. In our last 2 cup ties we've been denied a stonewall penalty and conceded a wrongly awarded goal. I'm not saying these decisions cost us wins over 90 minutes but they certainly didn't help. To win the cup you have to have an element of luck on your side and in that respect we failed miserably.

I just want this season done and dusted now but don't want it to end with a whimper against sides fighting for their lives.

was there a pen denied v Hibs,,?

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

Did he not manage some team in the US who Dave Cormack owned or had some kind of interest in?

Yeah, Aberdeen and Atlanta have a 'strategic partnership'. The strategy seems to be, jobs for the boys + much cheapness = meet your new manager. He'll no see the year out.

19 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'd like to beat Killie first, and then give the youngsters a run out.

Highly unlikely. Alexander was on sportsound the other night and he addressed that very point, can't remember his exact words but it was along the lines of only picking youngsters on merit rather than giving them game time because it's the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Highly unlikely. Alexander was on sportsound the other night and he addressed that very point, can't remember his exact words but it was along the lines of only picking youngsters on merit rather than giving them game time because it's the end of the season. 

That's the way it should be, never had time for all this give the youngsters a chance chat, if they are good enough they will get their chance.

We have an opportunity to finish the season in 7th, more prize money etc, so it should be strongest available team at all times.

What people don't realise is that the majority of the reserve team / colts won't be good enough to make the step up we will be doing well to get 1 or 2 players stepping up to the 1st team. We have had more than a decent return over recent years with Turnbull,  Hastie, Campbell, Erwin, Cadden etc but that us not guaranteed. 

GA sees these players daily so I assume he knows who might be ready to step up and who is not, so a chance in the 1st team should be on merit not because we are safe in the league. 

• Like 1