2021 Scottish Cup Campaign

Welldaft Mk1

7 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Dundee Utd, St Johnstone, Hibs and either St Mirren or Killie.

What a chance to be involved and yet another "wee team" gonna get it outside us.

Makes Lawless' outstretched leg even more hard to watch.

TBF: Same as the league cup

Gutted tonight

Said it before lucky teams win cups, which in Scotland means the uglies have lost out in earlier rounds, we have never had that fortune in our last 4 finals, Hibs must be the favourites  now., although given their performance tonight would not rule out a St J double. 

• Like 2

Go on the Saints, they’ve been very refreshing to watch under Callum Davidson and went about that impeccably tonight. I celebrated Zander’s heroics as much as Watt’s equaliser. And yesterday’s subscription to Premier Sports was worth it to see McInnes, McCall, Weir and Craigan devastated. 

From a Motherwell perspective, it’s a case of what could have been when you think of both the League and Scottish cup semi final line-ups. In truth though, I’d much rather see a Motherwell squad I have genuine affection for win the cup. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That result gives us all hope. It just goes to show what a team comprised solid, experienced  mentally tough individuals can achieve if they're well organised and hard working. 

Yep, I really don’t think it mattered who the other teams were, I just don’t think this squad were a cup winning team. In the other semis we had leaders, this team does not I’m afraid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That result gives us all hope. It just goes to show what a team comprised solid, experienced  mentally tough individuals can achieve if they're well organised and hard working. 

In a way it does Dave. But imagine St Johnstone winning a cup double when we have won one cup in the last 80 years. That would be galling as a Well fan. Taking nothing away from St J. I watched the game tonight and whilst they carried some luck they were so well organised and did not give Rangers a minutes peace. Whereas last few months we have sat back and allowed teams to attack at will and put in crosses at will.

We don’t seem to have the luck of the draw. We beat Rangers in league cup and play Celtic in final. 

Not sour grapes just jealousy that a team who are arguably smaller than us could win two cups. Albeit it would be gutting not to be there to see either victory. 

Lets hope GA makes us tougher to beat next year and who knows. 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Spot on,there all the things we were under robinson when we reached the two cup finals.out of all the teams left i hope st johnstone go on and win it,which would be some achievement.

• Like 2

St johnstone an example of what can be achieved,  5 players through youth academy (tanser, clark..Gordon.. kerr...mccann), 2 signings from championship,   rooney and McCart (we signed white), and good experienced pro's,..Craig...Bryson.. Conway.    Maybe the non league model needs to change 

:)

33 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

In a way it does Dave. But imagine St Johnstone winning a cup double when we have won one cup in the last 80 years.

Sorry to sound pedantic but,  we are a lot better than you think its 2 cups in 69 years, but I take your point.:)

1 minute ago, Spiderpig said:

:)

Sorry to sound pedantic but,  we are a lot better than you think its 2 cups in 69 years, but I take your point.:)

Arithmetic was never my strong point. I realised I had added 10 years. Still point stands. 

Sadly you need all the moving parts in terms of a poor Celtic or a Rangers that have won what they most coveted. That said St Johnstone were good value tonight. There is no way this current team could have kept Rangers at bay at Ibrox for near enough two hours. 

No doubt next year we will reach the semis of one of the cup competitions where we will play Rangers or Celtic.....

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

St johnstone an example of what can be achieved,  5 players through youth academy (tanser, clark..Gordon.. kerr...mccann), 2 signings from championship,   rooney and McCart (we signed white), and good experienced pro's,..Craig...Bryson.. Conway.    Maybe the non league model needs to change 

Not sure about that Grizzly. Gordon started out with Hearts. Clark was with Accies and Tanser came from Rochdale.

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

From the listed twenty on Saturday evening there was one player signed from a non-league side.