2021 Scottish Cup Campaign

Welldaft Mk1

Louis Moult came from non-league Wrexham.

Liam Grimshaw came from Man Utd/Preston.

Sherwin Seedorf came from Wolves.

Tony Watt was a lazy troublemaker.

Hits and misses, wherever you go, whatever you pay, it's down to someone having an eye for a player, then a big slice of luck. Someone at Rangers decided to sign Jake Hastie rather than David Turnbull.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Louis Moult came from non-league Wrexham.

Liam Grimshaw came from Man Utd/Preston.

Sherwin Seedorf came from Wolves.

Tony Watt was a lazy troublemaker.

Hits and misses, wherever you go, whatever you pay, it's down to someone having an eye for a player, then a big slice of luck. Someone at Rangers decided to sign Jake Hastie rather than David Turnbull.

Good post. Its not all about signing the best players ability wise. As St Johnstone will tell you its all about being a team player, preferably with some experience  with a good competitive character. 

12 hours ago, Yodo said:

The "offside goal " that the pundits didn't want to talk about might just have cost us a cup win 

No way were this current Motherwell side winning a cup, we are too inconsistent. Even if the offside goal had been chopped off there is no guarantee we would have went on to win this game. We ultimately lost because two of our players couldn’t score from 12 yards. For what it’s worth I believe Hibernian, St Johnstone and a Lafferty inspired Kilmarnock look far more capable than we currently do to win a trophy. Of the teams currently left in the competition I’m predicting a Hibernian v St Johnstone final.  A St Johnstone double would mean that Callum Davidson has won more trophies in one season than Gerrard has in the three he’s been here. Considering the gulf in wealth that would be quite remarkable. I would go as far as to say he should be named manager of the year if he achieves it. Although the media will probably still give it to Gerrard. 

Perhaps it's because I've been fortunate enough to see us win the Cup but unless we're engaging in my "da's bigger than your da" debates with our peers then I tend not to get too hung up on other fellow diddy sides winning Cups (except St Mirren) and enjoy them for the Old Firm free Finals they are.

What does leave me regretful is reading that the Scottish Cup winner this season will be guaranteed European group competition next season. They are apparently a Play-Off win away from the Europa League group stages or lose that and they go into the Conference League group stage.  Aside from the potential (perhaps limited for obvious reasons) for visits to new places and all you might imagine there's the potential for a  fair bit of finance to made from it all which, if used astutely, has the potential to give that side a great opportunity to build on their Cup win/Euro involvement and give them a greater chance to repeat the feat (Europe if not the Cup win) again hoover European dough and perhaps over time begin to ease away a bit from the rank and file through having that regular additional finance. A kind of Rosenberg in Norway in times past perhaps, but on a much smaller scale.

Would have been nice if it that had been us.

6 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Perhaps it's because I've been fortunate enough to see us win the Cup but unless we're engaging in my "da's bigger than your da" debates with our peers then I tend not to get too hung up on other fellow diddy sides winning Cups (except St Mirren) and enjoy them for the Old Firm free Finals they are.

What does leave me regretful is reading that the Scottish Cup winner this season will be guaranteed European group competition next season. They are apparently a Play-Off win away from the Europa League group stages or lose that and they go into the Conference League group stage.  Aside from the potential (perhaps limited for obvious reasons) for visits to new places and all you might imagine there's the potential for a  fair bit of finance to made from it all which, if used astutely, has the potential to give that side a great opportunity to build on their Cup win/Euro involvement and give them a greater chance to repeat the feat (Europe if not the Cup win) again hoover European dough and perhaps over time begin to ease away a bit from the rank and file through having that regular additional finance. A kind of Rosenberg in Norway in times past perhaps, but on a much smaller scale.

Would have been nice if it that had been us.

Given that the ugly sisters are the only 2 teams ever going to win the premiership,  so even if either of them win the cup and the league the Europa league playoff spot and conference league group stage, will be available to the team finishing 3rd, with 4th and 5th getting the CL places.

So for the 10 other teams a top 5 finish will almost certainly secure a European place, and as we have seen there is very little between the teams from 3rd to 9th this season maybe 2 or 3 wins less for Hibs and more for us etc. So we are more than capable of finishing in the top 5.

We need to ensure a good rebuild in the summer and hit the ground running come August.

Since 1991, I've watched Motherwell win a cup, play in another 4 finals, finish runners-up in the league 3 times, 3rd place 4 times and qualify for Europe on 10 occassions. In my  previous 16 years we never made it past a semi-final and got relegated twice. 

Good luck to the teams that are left in the cup - apart from Hibs and St Mirren - but only one of them will win it, and the rest might spend the next 50 years greetin about the golden opportunity they missed.

• Like 2

Maybe it's nonsense, but over 30 years of watching Motherwell tells me that if we had won on Saturday then Rangers would have gone through last night. 

Could we, in a one off game, have beaten the other teams left in the cup? Sure but we could easily have lost to each of them as well. The thought of losing to St Mirren in a cup final doesn't bear thinking about...

To be honest, this is the one season that I'm not too bothered. The main joy in Motherwell winning a trophy would be the collective joy. With no fans being there, it would be a pretty hollow victory. I'd probably enjoy it on the day but there wouldn't be those memories that you'd be talking about years later. But maybe that's just me...

14 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Since 1991, I've watched Motherwell win a cup, play in another 4 finals, finish runners-up in the league 3 times, 3rd place 4 times and qualify for Europe on 10 occassions. In my  previous 16 years we never made it past a semi-final and got relegated twice. 

Good luck to the teams that are left in the cup - apart from Hibs and St Mirren - but only one of them will win it, and the rest might spend the next 50 years greetin about the golden opportunity they missed.

Spot on but you forgot qualifying for the Champions league,:) for a club our size our record since 91 has been pretty decent , compared with St Johnstone,  St Mirren, Killie etc who my have 1 or 2 decent seasons and 25 seasons of achieving nothing mediocrity.

• Like 1

If Killie hang on to win tonight it means the winner of the cup this year will be on AT LEAST three trophies since 91. 

That makes me want to spew!

We weren’t winning the cup this year anyway. This team has absolutely nothing about it. The cup exits that haunt me are the years we actually had good teams and could’ve/should’ve done something. The 2 exits to Aberdeen under McCall, Dundee in McGhee’s first season and Ayr Utd under Davies. Every single one of them at home by the way! 

If there was ever a year not to win a cup it's this one, albeit would have been better than a kick to ones stones. 

'91 was amazing.  
Semis. We were written off as never beaten Celtic in a replay and we know how that turned out.
Final.  Fans believed that our name was on the cup and sure enough it was.

What made those memories was being there.  Seeing pyscho's 3rd and then Kirkies 4th was amazing to be in the crowd.
In the final I've never seen so many Well fans, the atmosphere was special.
One of the best memories I'll ever have as was the following day in the streets of "Well. 

Watching, shouting at my PC simply isn't the same. My family think I'm a madman and without thousands of like minded guys and girls it wouldn't be the same.

Given StJohnston put out Rangers I'd like to see them go on and lift the cup.  A group of average players but importantly a very decent team.

• Like 2