2021 Scottish Cup Campaign

Welldaft Mk1

16 minutes ago, well_said said:

We really were playing against 12 men that day. That cheating barsteward really hated us.

To be honest I don't think Thomson's performance that day materially influenced the outcome. We never really threatened and once they went 1-0 up that was that. The penalty and the sending off was ridiculous but we had to score first if we were to have any chance in that final.

Personally I thought the same referee sending off Kipre for a nothing clash with Scott Brown in the 0-0 game later that season was a far worse decision. Brown milked it and Thomson completely bought it, as he very often did. 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure if it’s just me so I’d be interested in comments from some of the older folks on here about cup ties. My recollection is that you could easily tell the difference between a cup game and a league game. Cup games were much more intense but nowadays, for me anyway, they just seem like another game. 

I don't know if you could call them intense, I didn't see the Aberdeen game, but the three other Scottish Cup ties were pretty absorbing viewing.

I think the intensity in part comes from players taking something from an atmosphere and crowd and I think since Cup games were removed from season tickets in many cases (not all) home supports have suffered a bit for it.  I think of our Quarter Final against Hearts the other year where there were probably more Hearts fans there than Motherwell fans, or at Dundee last season where despite it being on TV, on a Saturday night and 80 odd miles up the road the 'Well support probably doubled that of Dundee's crowd.

7 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

To be honest I don't think Thomson's performance that day materially influenced the outcome. We never really threatened and once they went 1-0 up that was that. The penalty and the sending off was ridiculous but we had to score first if we were to have any chance in that final.

While I agree to an extent that you really need to score first against them, the League Cup Final was probably our best chance of lifting silverware that season, we limited them to only a powderpuff header as the only real effort they could muster up on target in the first half, while a glorious opening fell to Richard Tait who skewed the ball well wide. Its like James Forrest admitted for his goal he had never scored a long range goal with his left foot, he repeated this move a few days later in the league fixture then ended up kicking his standing foot and falling over. After they scored Moult brought out a tremendous save from Gordon with a point blank header and while we enjoyed our best phase of play thats when the penalty incident occurred we were then hit by the triple whammy, goal, player sent off then game over. Out with Celtic, I don't think I've seen as much arse slapping and that when a side wins a penalty and gets a player sent off. Despite Moult hitting the post with a free kick with the last kick of the ball, Carson did however have a few magnificent saves late on.

On another note I see Premier Sports have got the rights to the League Cup as well.

21 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure if it’s just me so I’d be interested in comments from some of the older folks on here about cup ties. My recollection is that you could easily tell the difference between a cup game and a league game. Cup games were much more intense but nowadays, for me anyway, they just seem like another game. 

Absolutely. In the past, cup ties had atmosphere and tended to be real battles with players hyped up and teams going hammer and tongs. Not the same these days.  Why is that? Maybe in part due to lack of crowds this season. I think the introduction of penalties has also affected games. Nowadays some teams are happy to sit in and go for extra time and penalties, knowing that thier best chance. perhaps also, players' attitudes. with more emphasis on hard cash these days, maybe a win bonus is the same for both league and cup?

I certainly wouldn't judge the league or the cup performances of any team this season as being typical.

However, in prior years it wasn't unusual for "lesser" teams to sit in and park the bus. Sometimes to try and get a lucrative replay at the bigger team's ground or, conversely, bring them back to their own small, tight ground where they felt they had a chance of an upset.