Season 2020’21: Game 22: Rangers (H)

Andy_P

34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think it was offside but it's very difficult to tell. Tavernier was definitely offside for the one he headed across but that ginger linesman always seems to favour Rangers. They were putting extra men into the box and pulling Morelos wide to try and disrupt our marking at crosses and the presence of Balogun definitely confused Carroll. 

The problem area of the team at the moment is centre midfield especially in the second half of games. Allan Campbell has been so poor recently and Crawford is limited. Polworth has been better the past two games but still needs to improve more. Cole and Watt are looking sharp and hopefully they can get some service from Lawless in the coming fixtures. 

100pc agree with this

• Like 1

Credit where it’s due today. We looked much more organized and less like a team that was about to crumble (especially against the old firm). It’s the very starting blocks of any side however we have been so rudderless this season that it was a welcome development.  It doesn’t hide the fact that we need 3-4 players brought in over the next 2 weeks. Central midfield is a big problem for all the reasons that steelboy mentioned. A striker, centre half, central midfielder and a winger with real quality are a must. Our bench today was so weak. I’m loathed to criticize our younger players however I’m yet to see anything of Maciver to suggest he has a future at the club, Crawford is a squad player at best and it would be best for everyone if Lamie,  white and seedorf never wear a Motherwell shirt again. Definite signs of improvement however we’re going to need to win 30% of our remaining fixtures to finish above 11th. 

• Like 1

its ok getting a point of rangurs while all the players are up for it on sky tv    BUT  how will they perform up north on a cold day vs  dons and county then on killie yaccies n livis plastic pitchs  also  kick fest shit fest games vs st midden and  the dross round about us                         we shall see shortly whos got BIG BALLS

• Haha 1

The team did really well today. Defensively solid throughout, just one lapse in 90 mins cost us a couple of points. Only to be expected given the amount of pressure that the back line was under. Rangers had very few clear chances.

We do sit far too deep for me, and relinquishing the corner areas in our third, inviting crosses is a dangerous game of percentages. Big Dec and Bevis were excellent in the centre, mopping up pretty much everything, but it is asking a lot for them to win everything for 90 mins.

In midfield, I thought that Campbell and Crawford battled well in the first half, but fell away as we got deeper in the second half.  It wasn't really a game for Polworth. There was very little opportunity to create, but he was involved in the goal.

Up top, Watt and Cole put in a shift, with a well worked goal as a reward. Could be ok with them if they get some service.

So, in summary, an excellent point. A much improved performance with some hope for the coming fixtures. Things to work on; I'd like to see us play a bit further up the pitch when under pressure and be much better with ball retention when we get the chance to come out of a pressure situation.

• Like 1

That was a great point. The manager's game plan worked and hopefully the players will gain confidence in him and buy into his ideas. He seems to want to see the fringe players in action thus Seedorf got a start and McIvor a run out. He won't have seen much of them if he has been watching videos.  I don't think either of them did themselves any favours. The criticism that we defended deeper and deeper is a sign that we lack confidence and if results improve this will stop.

26 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

In fairness to McIvor he's been out for a long time and its a hard game to come back in to after not kicking a ball in anger for so long.

I'm not saying he's going to kick on but its unfair to write him off after today.

I thought he was just back from loan at Morton? No idea how he got on though.

Well pleased with that today, as I really did fear the worst! 

Not just the point but the heart and desire to keep Rangers out after the equaliser.  We've all seen us repeatedly fold after losing an equalising goal to one of the old firm.

2 or 3 point from the next 2 games and a couple of new faces in and I think we'll be ok.

Credit to the management team and players for gaining an unexpected point today. Robinsons shift to 433 coincided with some very expansive, naive and ultimately inept performances against Rangers and Celtic at Fir Park. Today, we resorted to basics and got our rewards with organisation, effort and determination. It was great to watch. 

The much maligned Mugabi was outstanding for the 2nd week in a row, pipping the impressive Cole and tireless Watt to motm. Ultimately though, the lack of quality on the bench prevented us having a right good go for the win in the last 20 mins but we held out for a fairly comfortable point. One or two decent additions middle to front and/or the return of a motivated Long could make the world of difference for the remainder of the season. 

What a great result and totally unexpected. 

I don't understand the thinking amongst some regarding the quality of the squad.  Given that the standard in our league is poor I think we have a squad that is more than capable of getting us out of this situation. 

Watt, Gallagher, O Donnell, Polworth, Campbell, O Hara are all players that could steak a claim in any Spfl team ourhwith the OF. 

If Alexander can sort Long's head out there is a player there. Mugabi showed today the potential is there. Carroll, Lawless, Cole are all players that deserve to be playing at his level. Lang could have been added to that list too. 

Losing Turnbull was really the tipping point between a decent Spfl squad and a mediocre one. This is the first window since Turnbull left so let's see what happens. 

The quality from the bench needs addressed but  if you look at the benches of Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Ross County, Livingston there is nothing much to inspire. 

I don't think anyone could say that we matched Rangers today, they are much the better side but we have matched Aberdeen an Hibs this season. 

It has been small margins all season. It is not going to take much to get this team heading back up the table. 

A decent goalscorer this window may be all we need if we can keep the better players till the summer. 

16 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Credit to the management team and players for gaining an unexpected point today. Robinsons shift to 433 coincided with some very expansive, naive and ultimately inept performances against Rangers and Celtic at Fir Park. Today, we resorted to basics and got our rewards with organisation, effort and determination. It was great to watch. 

The much maligned Mugabi was outstanding for the 2nd week in a row, pipping the impressive Cole and tireless Watt to motm. Ultimately though, the lack of quality on the bench prevented us having a right good go for the win in the last 20 mins but we held out for a fairly comfortable point. One or two decent additions middle to front and/or the return of a motivated Long could make the world of difference for the remainder of the season. 

Id hunt long a petulant wee waster. We need to sharpen up our possession football. Even when not pressurised we give the ball away far too easily. We don't lay it off with the easy ball , instead we piss about trying to beat 3 or 4 men an invariably give the ball away. Campbell and Crawford particularly bad for that.. The service from midfield to the forwards is piss poor and something we need to remedy soon. Its frightening to think we are only 10 games from the split and we are still in the mire. Sure great defensively today but we need to win at least 5 or 6 out the next 15 or we are going down.

To be fair in the second half I think everyone knew they were going to score sooner or later. And the latter stages were a nail biting siege. But still. Only the third time any team has taken any points from them this season. Have to be happy with that. The sheep are nothing in comparison to them so we might go there with some confidence.

47 minutes ago, star sail said:

I don't understand the thinking amongst some regarding the quality of the squad.  Given that the standard in our league is poor I think we have a squad that is more than capable of getting us out of this situation. 

Watt, Gallagher, O Donnell, Polworth, Campbell, O Hara are all players that could steak a claim in any Spfl team ourhwith the OF.

We have the core of a decent team but badly need some fresh blood in the form of 3/4 players, assuming no-one leaves. I'd like to see another central defender and a main striker up front. However its the midfield thats badly lacking. We need someone with pace there perhaps on the wing and need a bit more power in the centre.  Campbell has gone right off the boil in the last month or two and Polworth, talented though he is, is contributing little. Bringing in fresh faces is all very well of course but we also need to ship some deadwood out to balance the books. 

The next 2 games will tell us and the new management team a lot.  Has the "envigorated" team got the bottle to go up to Aberdeen and Dingwall and avoid defeat or better still collect a win? 

Much of what I thought about the game has already been said on here. But one thing hasn't...

I know he's not Andy Robertson or Kieran Tierney, and not even Stevie Hammell, but the difference I feel having Carroll back makes is huge. A proper left back makes the defence look much more balanced, and also helps with the attacks as we now don't have a right footer cutting inside or a centre half playing there. 

Was Carroll fantastic today? No but by simply being a proper left back and knowing how to play the position, he improves us. 

Sad indictment that simply knowing how to play your position improves our team...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Much of what I thought about the game has already been said on here. But one thing hasn't...

I know he's not Andy Robertson or Kieran Tierney, and not even Stevie Hammell, but the difference I feel having Carroll back makes is huge. A proper left back makes the defence look much more balanced, and also helps with the attacks as we now don't have a right footer cutting inside or a centre half playing there. 

Was Carroll fantastic today? No but by simply being a proper left back and knowing how to play the position, he improves us. 

Sad indictment that simply knowing how to play your position improves our team...

Agree. BFS was saying about WBA that all he is asking is for each player (hence position) to improve a little. If everyone can improve a little then the team will improve a lot. I have total confidence that Campbell will come good again. He has the talent, he has the attitude and he has the strength to get through a rough patch. I think we judge him by his standards and on our expectations of him.  He is no worse than many of the others but certainly is not as good as we know he can be.  But for sure, he never hides, so merits our support and encouragement till he gets back to the player we know he really is. COYW. 

14 hours ago, Blue3 said:

Don't get to see many Motherwell games down he in the South of England but really enjoyed that nice to see a couple of ex Brighton players but that's not the reason I watched the game from what I have seen we have tightened up the defence and look a lot tougher to break down but a great point from the team that has almost won the league, we should not be one off the bottom  but we can use the last two results as a springboard for the rest of the season

Are you enjoying the Motherwell rollercoaster?  Any regrets?

7 hours ago, star sail said:

What a great result and totally unexpected. 

If Alexander can sort Long's head out there is a player there. Mugabi showed today the potential is there. Carroll, Lawless, Cole are all players that deserve to be playing at his level. Lang could have been added to that list too. 

Losing Turnbull was really the tipping point between a decent Spfl squad and a mediocre one. This is the first window since Turnbull left so let's see what happens. 

The quality from the bench needs addressed but  if you look at the benches of Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Ross County, Livingston there is nothing much to inspire. 

I don't think anyone could say that we matched Rangers today, they are much the better side but we have matched Aberdeen an Hibs this season. 

It has been small margins all season. It is not going to take much to get this team heading back up the table. 

A decent goalscorer this window may be all we need if we can keep the better players till the summer. 

What you have named are 11 players when we realistically need a squad of 18. From the 11 you’ve mentioned, Polworth has gone missing for months (To a lesser extent, Campbell). I don’t believe either fans, management nor the player actually know which position Ohara is most suitable to, Long looks to be finished with Motherwell and lalwess is just in the door. Mugabe isn’t as bad as made out but he isn’t a a leader and we have been crying out for one at centre half all season - like it or not, Hartley talked the entire game and organised those around him. There’s a real lack of maturity and savvy in the middle of the park and we need a quality striker that can hit the back of the net.
We’re bereft of real quality.  Yes, others in the league aren’t great but it doesn’t mean we need to be dragged down. 3/4 quality bodies in this side would be the difference between 10/11th and 4th/5th which has kick back in prize money and European football. Let’s have a wee bit of ambition rather than trying to edge out accies, st mirren and county for league places.

• Like 1