Season 2020’21: Game 23: Aberdeen (A)

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

In the scheme of things 1 point from Rangers and Aberdeen is about all I seen us getting so from a league position we are where I thought we would be. But by end of February we need to be in a better position. Playing a few teams around us so we have to start picking up wins in those games. Draws are not going to cut it. 

I didn't think we'd get a point from either game, so we're a point better off than I'd anticipated. Some more winnable games coming up but I'll be happy with a point at Dingwall; three would be better of course. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

I didn't think we'd get a point from either game, so we're a point better off than I'd anticipated. Some more winnable games coming up but I'll be happy with a point at Dingwall; three would be better of course. 

it needs to be 3 even just for moral ,  ffs we badly need a win 

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

How did we ?

Haha, this could go on a while. We got a doing off Hamilton, picked up points in the next two, lost today. I doubt Ross County's scudding at Ibrox will help us on Wednesday. They can't possibly be any less confident of winning than we are right now.

30 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

Slightly worried about Watt being subbed early two weeks in a row, Alexander's arm was possibly forced with the sending off but Watt isn't the player I'd of taken off. Literally every piece of promising attacking play comes from Tony Watt. 

I like Watt as he's a grafter and offers IMO a lot more than any other striker in terms of all round play. 

But he has 4 goals to his name this season - that's simply not good enough for a centre forward. 

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Haha, this could go on a while. We got a doing off Hamilton, picked up points in the next two, lost today. I doubt Ross County's scudding at Ibrox will help us on Wednesday. They can't possibly be any less confident of winning than we are right now.

The thing is anyone can state that a team did better against another team, they did better against Aberdeen, we did better against Rangers, just the way it is. People say it’s a relegation team, I just think with a couple of addition it’s not. Results would back that up but I don’t think results will remain that bad, I just think we’ve hugely underperformed. The defence and goalkeeper  should be about the best in the division outside the old firm for a start, of course we lost half of that for most of the season up to this point. We have also lost a very influential midfield all season who I believe  would have made a difference. Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We shouldve won there on first game of season  , it kind of set the tone for what's been a shitfest if a season.

So bring it on......

Jeeso man, has lockdown sent some folk a bit mental? 

Alexander has realistically had two games in charge. He got a great point against Rangers, and today we created more chances in the first 45 than we did in the last 5 or 6 games under Robinson. We've been undone by a moment of absolute stupidity from a player who should know that there are options coming back into midfield, so Alexander doesn't need to tolerate shite like that. He's made what looks like three decent signings so far and we already look like a more cohesive team than we did for most of 2020. 

I'm definitely feeling more positive after today than I did a fortnight ago. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

I like Watt as he's a grafter and offers IMO a lot more than any other striker in terms of all round play. 

But he has 4 goals to his name this season - that's simply not good enough for a centre forward. 

but is he an out n out centre forward ??   imo   i think he possibly sets up more for others   

1 minute ago, CoF said:

Alexander has realistically had two games in charge. He got a great point against Rangers, and today we created more chances in the first 45 than we did in the last 5 or 6 games under Robinson. We've been undone by a moment of absolute stupidity from a player who should know that there are options coming back into midfield, so Alexander doesn't need to tolerate shite like that. He's made what looks like two decent signings so far and we already look like a more cohesive team than we did for most of 2020. 

I appreciate you talking me down from my current state of being highly pissed off.

1 minute ago, CoF said:

Alexander has realistically had two games in charge. He got a great point against Rangers, and today we created more chances in the first 45 than we did in the last 5 or 6 games under Robinson. We've been undone by a moment of absolute stupidity from a player who should know that there are options coming back into midfield, so Alexander doesn't need to tolerate shite like that. He's made what looks like two decent signings so far and we already look like a more cohesive team than we did for most of 2020. 

That's the spirit, chief...but I cant help being a bit apprehensive re Wednesday...balls are required.

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The thing is anyone can state that a team did better against another team, they did better against Aberdeen, we did better against Rangers, just the way it is. People say it’s a relegation team, I just think with a couple of addition it’s not. Results would back that up but I don’t think results will remain that bad.

hibs also said that 6 year ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, CoF said:

Alexander has realistically had two games in charge. He got a great point against Rangers, and today we created more chances in the first 45 than we did in the last 5 or 6 games under Robinson. We've been undone by a moment of absolute stupidity from a player who should know that there are options coming back into midfield, so Alexander doesn't need to tolerate shite like that. He's made what looks like three decent signings so far and we already look like a more cohesive team than we did for most of 2020. 

I don't think anyone is blaming Alexander for our predicament but the New Manager Bounce has amounted to 2 points from 9.  We've also blown 2 leads in 3 matches.  It's 13 months since we came back from losing a goal, 1 clean sheet in 12 and we've scored 19 goals in 23 matches (only 4 in the last 10).  There are only so many excuses for not winning that you can come up with.  

An overview of the season....

form6.png

58 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Pish, we will be nowhere near the relegation places come  May, the wins are coming, keep the faith.

For the very first time, I am starting to have my doubts. This team should not be in a relegation fight and yet it is and every week we talk about bad luck and poor decision making. 

Today was a big game, Wednesday is now massive. I am just not sure this team have the wherewithal to get themselves out of this.  I don't think ability has ever been the issue. There is something else missing. Determination, guile, intelligence? I don't know but it is the same every week. 

I was reasonably confident about today. I thought a draw would be likely and that we might just sneak a win. Aberdeen are not a great side. It was the same story again however. No goals and a game changing mistake on our part. I can't see what it going to change it. 

Polworth reminds me of Vigurs. Full of ability with a very questionable temperament. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The thing is anyone can state that a team did better against another team, they did better against Aberdeen, we did better against Rangers, just the way it is. People say it’s a relegation team, I just think with a couple of addition it’s not. Results would back that up but I don’t think results will remain that bad.

I'll be ultra positive. All games are winnable, and other than the Old Firm, nobody's THAT much better than us on any given day. But it's up to the manager and players to change the trajectory of our season, because right now we are a play-off team at best. Decent additions will help, players up for a fight will help (Kelly ticks both boxes), the new manager will hopefully help (though the repeated fiasco at short corners today is concerning) - and getting shot of certain hopeless or gutless wonders will definitely help. Wednesday will be huge, given the psychological effect defeat could inflict. 

7 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Surely Seedorfs last game in a Well shirt 

Well he seems to keep proving everyone wrong. Sadly it’s been obvious for a long time that he’s way out of his depth, pure speed can only get you so far, he’s simply not got a footballing  brain I’m afraid.