Season 2020’21: Game 23: Aberdeen (A)

Andy_P

A largely self-inflicted loss but one that brings a growing sense of annoyance at our governing bodies.

I thought the starting eleven deserved another go based on their performance last weekend but it was a worryingly sluggish start,  The defending for their goal was really poor but I thought it did spark us to life and if anything we were the better team for much of the remainder of the half with Watt being particularly unfortunate with his effort off the post.  I thought we were very unlucky not to have got a penalty too.

A positive change from the manager at the interval although I might have been inclined to go with Hastie rather than Long but the task became all the more difficult with Polworth's red. It remains to be seen what was said and it isn't the first time he's shown himself to be unnecessarily argumentative and niggly but what I will say is if that I see games week in, week out where players are snarling at other players and officials without being reprimanded for it.  On the back of the messing about with the St Mirren/Killie appeal, Madden's penalty at St Mirren, the offside last week and now this, patience with our esteemed FA is growing somewhat thin.

Commendable that Alexander showed ambition to try to rescue the game but at some risk as the repeated saves (some excellent ones at that) from Kelly showed. And all ultimately for nothing with further poor defending for the second.

Ultimately a defeat somewhat in keeping with many this season. Far from being outclassed by the opposition but sooner or later shooting ourselves in the foot and suffering for it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ohwulliewullie said:

May I add leadership, character and resilience.... with a bit of concentration to cut out the daft mistakes 

I would add a lack of confidence, Campbell and Gallagher have hardly got started this season, they are both living on previous seasons in my view, let’s be honest on this seasons form Campbell would get little interest from anyone.

25 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I don't think anyone is blaming Alexander for our predicament but the New Manager Bounce has amounted to 2 points from 9.  We've also blown 2 leads in 3 matches.  It's 13 months since we came back from losing a goal, 1 clean sheet in 12 and we've scored 19 goals in 23 matches (only 4 in the last 10).  There are only so many excuses for not winning that you can come up with.  

An overview of the season....

form6.png

Yeah, we've been absolutely awful this season for multiple reasons. But you can't argue that we actually look like we have more of a clue than we did 3 weeks ago. 

I think you can ignore the St Mirren game given Alexander had been in the door two days. Really, he's had 180 minutes against the 1st and 3rd best teams in the country and our performances have been far better than most of what had gone before. That bodes well for games against the teams around us and is surely cause for some optimism? 

3 minutes ago, CoF said:

Yeah, we've been absolutely awful this season for multiple reasons. But you can't argue that we actually look like we have more of a clue than we did 3 weeks ago. 

I think you can ignore the St Mirren game given Alexander had been in the door two days. Really, he's had 180 minutes against the 1st and 3rd best teams in the country and our performances have been far better than most of what had gone before. That bodes well for games against the teams around us and is surely cause for some optimism? 

We shall find out soon. Between now and end of Feb we play 5 of the 6 teams round about us plus Hibs and Celtic. 5 cup finals!!!

9 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I know the manager isn't going to come out and slate the players in interviews, and there's always a degree of posturing, but we were far from "fantastic" today.  Far too positive a summary in my opinion. 

Agree completely 

Summary

We started terribly , didn't defend set piece - going 1-0 down is always a tough to come back from. Aberdeen cut us open several times
After their goal we were the better team and could have equalised maybe even taken the lead.
Started the second half quite poorly, got a man sent off. Which was game over.
Our defending at short corners was a disgrace.

24 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The thing is anyone can state that a team did better against another team, they did better against Aberdeen, we did better against Rangers, just the way it is. People say it’s a relegation team, I just think with a couple of addition it’s not. Results would back that up but I don’t think results will remain that bad.

hibs also said that 6 year ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoF said:

That bodes well for games against the teams around us and is surely cause for some optimism? 

I'm optimistic for Wednesday, but in the event we lose, some folk are gonnae need to be realistic. 

It's a cliche because it's generally true, the table doesn't lie. How good we think we are or how bad our luck's been means nothing if there's no upward movement. Alexander will know this and if any players are in denial about our predicament, they need wised up, sharpish.

Wherever our next win comes from, it'll be a surprise. Might as well get started this week.

38 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah he won't bother, a poor trolling subject,we will all agree with him that Seedorf is brutal, no fun there.

I was going to say if Yodo had looked after his body we could play him instead of Seedorf but hell, even if he hasn’t he could probably still do better than Seedorf

Denied a stonewall penalty today right  right. I mean, a genuinely scandalous decision that should’ve had everyone in claret and amber going ballistic. The fact that none of our players even looked like claiming for it for me shows a real lack of desire or fight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, milo said:

Denied a stonewall penalty today right  right. I mean, a genuinely scandalous decision that should’ve had everyone in claret and amber going ballistic. The fact that none of our players even looked like claiming for it for me shows a real lack of desire or fight.

6 minutes ago, milo said:

im not sure they saw it - think thats part of the problem - if they had there would have been claims and made it more difficult for the ref.

Personal view is ref's get an easy ride without fans in the stadium or lack of VAR.

For example I'm not clear why Polworth got sent off - the Aberdeen player should have been booked for taking him out - the ref played advantage and then set Polworth off - there was nothing to suggest Polworth had foul/abusive language to the ref.

And it cost us this game - there needs to be clarity from the ref on this one 

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

For example I'm not clear why Polworth got sent off - the Aberdeen player should have been booked for taking him out - the ref played advantage and then set Polworth off - there was nothing to suggest Polworth had foul/abusive language to the ref.

And it cost us this game - there needs to be clarity from the ref on this one 

GA saying we may appeal depending whats in the ref's report. He says Polworth did swear but at the Aberdeen player not the ref. Does that make any difference?