Season 2020’21: Game 23: Aberdeen (A)

Andy_P

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

GA saying we may appeal depending whats in the ref's report. He says Polworth did swear but at the Aberdeen player not the ref. Does that make any difference?

If we appeal it will get downgraded to a yellow meaning two yellows and a sending off.  Overall penalty points would be lower though.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

GA saying we may appeal depending whats in the ref's report. He says Polworth did swear but at the Aberdeen player not the ref. Does that make any difference?

No - so it would be stupid having admitted to foul and abusive language, for the player or manager to even consider an appeal if that’s reason in ref’s report

12 minutes ago, Brazilian said:

No - so it would be stupid having admitted to foul and abusive language, for the player or manager to even consider an appeal if that’s reason in red report

So referees dish out yellow/red cards every time the hear players swear at each other, aye OK then., most games would finish 4 a side .

If the alleged language was directed specifically at the ref  then fair enough,  but if Polwarth was giving  the player who had just upended him a mouthful, is that really a booking or a straight red. 

Given the general shite performance of the ref in the game,  I think an appeal might be justified in this case.

The more I see the penalty that should've been, the worse it looks from our point of view. I don't buy that our players missed it - anyone watching the game saw it straight away and Alexander was chirping at the fourth official - so why the feck were they not screaming at the ref? If that's how bothered they are about things, the game's up.

17 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The more I see the penalty that should've been, the worse it looks from our point of view. I don't buy that our players missed it - anyone watching the game saw it straight away and Alexander was chirping at the fourth official - so why the feck were they not screaming at the ref? If that's how bothered they are about things, the game's up.

Said it before, we need VAR in Scotland, its not perfect but it would look at some of the shite decisions we get from refs up here and hopefully highlight their obvious errors.

But given the incompetent arseholes currently running Scottish football I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.

Thought we played reasonably well first half., sloppy defending for the goal aside. Good reaction from the players after the goal and short of some awful refereeing decisions should have been level at the break.

Im not sure why folks think Polworth should have been red carded in the first half. It was clear that Aberdeen had marked him out for some "attention" so I can understand why he reacted the way he did when getting taken from behind again.  Of course we have seen red cards given for less (see 2nd half) but that doesnt mean its right. I thought the ref got that spot on with a yellow card apiece.

Not sure what has happened for the red card itself. Polworth does try to draw the foul but gets clattered from behind yet again, so if something has been said, surely that has to be taken into account? The ref has played advantage to us, so the card cannot be for anything Polworth has done in the tackle. Will be very interesting to see if any explanations are forthcoming.

After that, what happened was kind of inevitible, although I was surprised that no action was taken against Ferguson for a quite blatant elbow on Crawford. If the referee had evened things up there it might have given us some hope. As it was we have Liam Kelly to thank for keeping the score respectable.

I dont think things are totally doom and gloom. Our deficiencies havent changed, but we did respond better to going behind than anything I have seen this season. The manager will also be getting more of a handle on what he needs to do to get us up the table. I would expect one or 2 more signings soon.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

After that, what happened was kind of inevitible, although I was surprised that no action was taken against Ferguson for a quite blatant elbow on Crawford. If the referee had evened things up there it might have given us some hope.

He also had one in the first half on, I think, cole - more clumsy than blatant that one though. Still an easy couple yellows if you ask me.

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

If the alleged language was directed specifically at the ref  then fair enough,  but if Polwarth was giving  the player who had just upended him a mouthful, is that really a booking or a straight red. 

Given the general shite performance of the ref in the game,  I think an appeal might be justified in this case.

I don't believe we have a hope of over turning the red and frankly don't believe we should appeal.  

Polworth got knocked over and the ref played advantage - perhaps the Aberdeen player should have been booked.

After advantage was played the ref came back to Polworth - in what looked to see if he was OK. Polworth was on his knees but facing the ref and must have said something. His fault, total idiot for mouthing off, he's clearly someone who's unhappy in life. I think he's the most creative player we have but his attitude is poor - if he wants to move back up North then we should let him go now.

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Said it before, we need VAR in Scotland, its not perfect but it would look at some of the shite decisions we get from refs up here and hopefully highlight their obvious errors.

But given the incompetent arseholes currently running Scottish football I won't be holding my breath waiting for it.

We will never, ever get VAR in Scotland. The excuse will be "reported" as cost, but the reality is VAR will disproportionately affect the Old Firm and so will never be allowed! Everyone gets affected by shite refs, some teams (like us Now) more than others at times, but the constant is always that the Old Firm get every 50/50 their way, and some even more blatant decisions too. VAR would even out a lot of those decisions and Lawwell will never allow that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

After advantage was played the ref came back to Polworth - in what looked to see if he was OK. Polworth was on his knees but facing the ref and must have said something. His fault, total idiot for mouthing off, he's clearly someone who's unhappy in life. I think he's the most creative player we have but his attitude is poor - if he wants to move back up North then we should let him go now.

There in one little sentence is our problem. "He is our most creative player", and he is shite. We create very little from midfield to assist the forwards, hence we don't score a lot of goals. His form has fallen of a cliff, and he needs to be dropped. 

5 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

There in one little sentence is our problem. "He is our most creative player", and he is shite. We create very little from midfield to assist the forwards, hence we don't score a lot of goals. His form has fallen of a cliff, and he needs to be dropped. 

Exactly been screaming it for months, middle to front we are utter piss and continue to be so.  All it generally takes is one goal to beat us because we are so ineffective up front and frankly no permutation of forwards is going to change that on the supply they get.

21 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Exactly been screaming it for months, middle to front we are utter piss and continue to be so.  All it generally takes is one goal to beat us because we are so ineffective up front and frankly no permutation of forwards is going to change that on the supply they get.

This issue was mentioned on P & B, a  variable site in the extreme.  We pretty much knew last summer that David Turnbull would leave, so that only left Polworth as his sole successor in the midfield creative role, unless you include Jamie Semple, who was punted out on loan. What if Polworth was injured? What if he lost form......? Again a failure of recruitment last summer.

48 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

we need  replacement asap - meanwhile I'd drop him /let him leave.  Watt could play that role in the interim.

7 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

we need  replacement asap - meanwhile I'd drop him /let him leave.  Watt could play that role in the interim.

The problem is the whole midfield, name one midfield players that’s had a good season ? We badly miss Donnelly who is far more of an influence than he’s given credit for. We were fine last season when he played even without Turnbull.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

The problem is the whole midfield, name one midfield players that’s had a good season ? We badly miss Donnelly who is far more of an influence than he’s given credit for. We were fine last season when he played even without Turnbull.

agree about the midfield - I think O'Hara has been pretty decent and adaptive but that's about it.

18 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Looked in the park to me

So another potentially game changing decision...we are due a few dodgy calls.

Alexander must be wondering about the standard of reffing up here.

Last weeks v Rangers was touch and go but the pen v st Mirren and the non pen yesterday plus seedorf cut back....

• Like 1