Season 2020’21: Game 24: Ross County (A)

Andy_P

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A very important game granted and, one we don't want to lose but it won't be season defining. What could be season defining is our transfer dealings in the next few days.

I think if we lose, it could very well be season defining. Then you're not far away from needing favours in addition to picking up enough points to get out the bottom 2. We look devoid of confidence and we've been easy beat all season. If the new manager bounce doesn't kick in sharpish we'll be relying on a few new signings from the lower leagues to save us. 

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

This team doesn't even rank in my worst top 10.

You are being kinder to this squad of players than they deserve. They are definitely in the top ten of the worst Motherwell teams I’ve witnessed in my 50 + years of watching the Well. And at 58 years of age I’ve seen a fair few in my time. I’ll also be kind to them and rank them at number 10 in my list. However, if they get relegated they will easily be in the top 5 due to poor standard of opposition they have had to face. 

Obviously I would like us to win this game. But while obviously it would be great for player confidence, I'm wondering whether a 4-0 scudding like we gave them in October could be counterproductive. Might lull Alexander and the board into thinking that the squad doesn't need that much surgery. A 1-0 shitfest of a win which still shows up our flaws might be the best outcome...

11 hours ago, numpty said:

I know we haven't had much luck lately, but plenty of folk have been sent off for foul and abusive language before. Our very own Steve Jennings among them...

I might be wrong but are you not thinking of the Hearts game when he was sent off for putting a hand on the referee?
I am not saying that no player has been sent off for foul and abusive language, I think most referees tend to ignore it, but with that novice referee (cannot remember his name) his inexperience came through by sending Polwarth off.

14 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Why would we fancy our chances against Ross County... have you seen our results since October? 

Because if we don't, we may as well give up on our season now.

If we don't fancy our chances against the teams around us, when do we?

4 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I might be wrong but are you not thinking of the Hearts game when he was sent off for putting a hand on the referee?

I don't know as I wasn't there, but that's not what was reported:

During the match Jennings, who had already been booked, was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language aimed at referee Stevie O'Reilly late in the 2-1 home defeat.

11 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Obviously I would like us to win this game. But while obviously it would be great for player confidence, I'm wondering whether a 4-0 scudding like we gave them in October could be counterproductive.

No it wouldn't. I'm being very greedy, I know, but I don't just want us to beat them, I want us to be utterly ruthless and rub their noses in the mud and scud them.

Taking a leaf out of their book from February 2015 to a degree,  we should play the long game and hurt them psychologically for the next few games.  That game will live long in my memory, for the way they treated us.  I have no doubt that they'll be utterly ruthless again under John Hughes - they'll be under instructions to give us a physical battering.

All that said I'd accept a narrow 1-0 win.

If you are 13 games without a win (including cup match) and you are bottom and you then you can't win against the team in 2nd bottom who is it you are actually going to beat?

We have Dundee Utd at home afterwards which I think we have a reasonable chance in (depending on result on Wednesday)  but after that we have four away games, including Celtic and Hibs, and our only home match is against Hamilton who seem to find it pretty easy to get points on our ground.

My fear is if we don't win on Wednesday night or on Saturday our confidence just nose dives going into a tough fixture list.  By the end of Feb the dye may well have been cast. We can't go 19 games without a win and expect to stay up.

Realistically you are looking at 40 points to avoid the play off.  We've got 19 points from 66.  We now need 21 points from 45 points. That's a big step up in performance.

Time is running out rapidly.  In my opinion we need to win against County.  We need to win for ourselves but we also have to take 3 points off a rival.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you are 13 games without a win (including cup match) and you are bottom and you then you can't win against the team in 2nd bottom who is it you are actually going to beat?

We have Dundee Utd at home afterwards which I think we have a reasonable chance in (depending on result on Wednesday)  but after that we have four away games, including Celtic and Hibs, and our only home match is against Hamilton who seem to find it pretty easy to get points on our ground.

My fear is if we don't win on Wednesday night or on Saturday our confidence just nose dives going into a tough fixture list.  By the end of Feb the dye may well have been cast. We can't go 19 games without a win and expect to stay up.

Realistically you are looking at 40 points to avoid the play off.  We've got 19 points from 66.  We now need 21 points from 45 points. That's a big step up in performance.

Time is running out rapidly.  In my opinion we need to win against County.  We need to win for ourselves but we also have to take 3 points off a rival.

Cannae argue with any of that. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You're right, its nit terminal yet, theres a few bad teams down there.

Got a bit of fear that the one season we looked to have a decent outfit, we go down

Think we have the players to get out of it but like someone said, every game is a biggie now.

John Hughes will have them kicking everything on Wednesday,  we will need to be at it.

The players already here have till 8pm tomorrow night to prove they have anything about them. Sitting joint bottom after 23 games, I think that's being generous. Another failure, the board have 4 more days. If neither do the business, I wouldn't fancy being in Graham Alexander's shoes on February 1st.

3 hours ago, Erskine Alpha said:

We need to play this game and every other game after, like its a cup final.  We need to change the formation too potentially 442 with the midfield 4 in a diamond this should at least allow us to get control of the middle of the park.  If we don't do these things then we will be circling the plug hole

I agree. At the moment our wingers are a waste of a shirt with none of them able to keep hold of the ball. 
It’s time to pack the midfield, go 2 up front and fight for your life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nsj said:

I agree. At the moment our wingers are a waste of a shirt with none of them able to keep hold of the ball. 
It’s time to pack the midfield, go 2 up front and fight for your life. 

I agree up to a point but what about Steven Lawless? Maybe being too ambitious but I'd like to see another winger coming in with either Hastie or Seedorf moving on.

10 hours ago, mfc88 said:

Because if we don't, we may as well give up on our season now.

If we don't fancy our chances against the teams around us, when do we?

We fancy our chances when we aint playing like a collective bunch of fannies. They have shown absolutely nothing this season to give the average supporter the slightest reason to believe they won't make an arse of it. Its frankly unimportant whether the fans fancy our chances or not , that attitude is more important in the players heads. They may themselves fancy their chances. I have zero confidence in them to share that view.

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Knickers wringing all over the place...wouldn't have fancied being in the trenches with any of the shitebags on here

Here's the thing: folk commenting on here aren't the shitebags who've put us at the arse end of the league. Would you fancy being in the trenches with that lot?

6 hours ago, Erskine Alpha said:

We need to play this game and every other game after, like its a cup final.  We need to change the formation too potentially 442 with the midfield 4 in a diamond this should at least allow us to get control of the middle of the park.  If we don't do these things then we will be circling the plug hole

no we shouldnt we lose cup finals ..lol