Season 2020’21: Game 24: Ross County (A)

Andy_P

On 1/23/2021 at 5:43 PM, Andy_P said:

Deep breath.....

........and relax!!!

Great win and just might represent a turning point in the mentality of the team.

On Alan Campbell, he needs a rest. I read that Callum McGregor at Celtic has played more minutes in the last few seasons than any other outfield player in Europe. His performances have been going backwards as a result. Given Campbell’s U21 commitments, he cannot be far behind.

I have read a few comments about Polworth too. He is a good player. I would rather see him in our team as not. He made a mistake on Saturday. It happens particularly under the circumstances the team finds itself in.

A motivated Polworth is an asset to this team. Hopefully GA can work his magic.

Another huge game next week.

Deep breath...

• Like 2

We didn’t look like doing anything in the first half, and while county weren’t making chances, they looked more likely to score and were winning every second ball. Gallagher was mugged by hylton for the goal, and Kelly didn’t do himself any favors with the attempted save, and at that point it looked like the same old story was going to unfold. We looked devoid of confidence and ideas. I was expecting changes at half time, but obviously Alexander saw something worth persevering with. 

while we were far from perfect in the second half, we stuck to a game plan (as the manager alluded in his interview) and played with a lot more purpose. We then got the bit of luck we needed when maguire was fortunate to retrieve the ball after losing it in a dangerous position, and showed great composure to start off an excellent move for Cole to finish after some great play from O’Donnell, long and watt. We continued to fight in shitty conditions and deservedly went ahead with a great finish from Bevis the Ugandan Prince. I will watch that majestic header on loop until next Wednesday.

We still ended up hanging on at the end, with a couple of close shaves, but it is a huge deal that we were able to turn this one around and finally get a win. We have played better and lost, but I’ll take the points any day. I’m glad there isn’t a game for a week because county kicked the shit out of us. 

This doesn’t suddenly fix all our issues, but I’m going to enjoy it for a week. Campbell desperately needs a rest, and hopefully incoming signings will allow us to do that. Watt’s work rate is phenomenal, and Cole is showing what he can do when played in the right position.

7 hours ago, Shaka said:

Fair do's, I humbly apologize. Glad we managed to do something we havent been able to do for 14 months.

The only thing more predictable than any negative posts are the hindsight crew finally finding their voice. There will be a few wanking themselves into a coma after tonights result

What a nick to get into 

I must admit that feel good feeling has been a long time coming, very sweet now it’s arrived. I didn’t see the game so can’t comment but it has to be a huge confidence boost for the team. The margin between success and failure in most games this season has just been so small, so many teams that are all of a similar standard and even a couple of changes in personnel can swing it in anyone’s  favour. The other massive thing is confidence, we don’t have a terrible squad, we never did but confidence had dropped and you can see that starting to turn around. Maybe Cole is now showing he’s the guy to score those goals alongside the hardworking Watt. I know Carroll is not everyone’s cup of tea but my god it’s good to have him back and thankfully we now have a reliable goalkeeper. I hold my hand up regarding Mugabi who is improving game on game ( who would have thought a professional coaching staff knew more than the likes of me). I like McGuire but have had my doubts about him in midfield, hey maybe I’m also wrong about that but would still like to see another midfield brought in, at least until Donnally returns and I see the signing of Lawless as another positive. I’ve still absolutely no doubt we can get out if this ( but then I still think we would have under Robinson). What I will say is Alexander is coming across really well and I like the amount of support he’s giving to the players in his interviews, yes you can argue he’s talking up the performances but it has to be giving the players a lift.

I really enjoyed that last night. Our heads dropped after conceding a poor goal and the game could easily have drifted away from us. Credit to Alexander and the players, we sorted things out at half time and put in a very spirited, determined and savvy 2nd half performance on a poor pitch. A vital three points.

The test now is to carry this into the United game. Win that and we can maybe start to look up the table. 

10 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Better on the ball than 90% of that squad.

He's not a Turnbull type that single handedly turns the whole thing round, he's got a lot to learn and a lot of mistakes to make but by god he's a better player, with more potential than a lot of dross that's been played over him down the years.  You don't do anything with non players. That shouldn't be something you even have to say but in Scottish football running about like a div is considered a footballing attribute over, say, passing, control, positioning, crossing, shooting....  

I honestly despair at the garbage we give a chance over technically better youngsters.  There is something badly wrong with our game but maybe, just maybe SOMEONE gets it now.

I hope so.

Totally 100% agree ya bezzer it winds me up. I see it all the way down at boys football where a simple 10 yard pass from a player that keeps the ball and opens up pitch doesn't get any reaction but someone charges in and kicks ball out park gets big well done . Its reason campbell gets as much praise on here also but let's be honest his passing and awareness and shooting are miles behind Maguire but as he is busy about pitch he gets a lot of plaudits.  Football is simple in that if you have the ball other team cant score but a lot of players dont want the ball coz they are scared and that is worrying. Top players are always available for the ball as well as always charging about the park.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Let's not get carried away we're still right in this relegation battle.

United, Celtic, Killie and Accies  coming up. We really need at least 5 points from that, if we can get 5 or more points from the next 4 I'll start to relax.

Tell you what, having supported the 'Well nigh on 30 years, seen it so often the quick turnaround in performances.

Granted, it is still a big if, but IF we can take 3 points from United next week, then we're going into the Celtic game on a huge confidence boosting high. It would not surprise me in the slightest then to take 1, if not 3, points off them, which would be absolutely massive for our season.

Last nights result really needs to be a platform to build on.

• Like 1

How pleasant to start the day, any day, on the back of a win the day before. It's been a while.

And it was deserved too.

I thought we started pretty well and were largely dominant before conceding a bit of a howler.  From Campbell losing possession deep in their half, to Gallagher's poor attempt at a challenge to to Kelly allowing the ball to squirm away for a tap in, all could have done better.  And I think everyone saw the effect that had on them.  A Cole save at short range apart, despite a healthy advantage on corners and possession, nothing much to write home about in the first half.

It was encouraging how the second half was opened.  You sensed a real determination to get back into it and County were being hemmed in.  With each chance, or half chance that passes, you become ever more fearful we're not going to get anything but what a relief when the equaliser came and the confidence that brought that they could go on and win it.  A fantastic header for the winner, one or two edgy moments aside as County went for it, we saw it out pretty well.

It was one of those all too rare occasions where you couldn't help but be impressed by the character and desire shown, and given the utter pummelling some of them took from County players, their temperament too.

There will be tired bodies after last night's efforts and a couple of the more lengthy away journeys back-to-back but I can't help feel a little disappointed that we don't have the chance to immediately build some momentum against a team that you might imagine will be in a state of shock after their result last night.

But the immediate, pressing crisis has been averted, for the moment and there is now something tangible for us to build on.  A great night's work by all concerned.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

What a knob end of a reply.  I kind of admit I got it wrong before trying to justify it. 

We won and so your prediction was a mile out. Suck it up instead of your pedantic post. 

Ffs, we won a huge match, doing something we hadnt managed to do for 14 months. Instead of celebrating, the first thing some folk want to do is point score using the power of hindsight and MY post is the bad one? Aye ok

My post was 100% correct, on this message board there are people who make negative/frustrated posts (of which I can be one) but there are just as many absolutely desperate to score points with the "I told you so" / "oh, this aged well" hindsight bollocks. Heres a novel idea, just enjoy the fucking win?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, milo said:

Gallagher and Kelly (Chapman-esque in fact) were pathetic for their goal by the way! Campbell was robbed so easily just before that. 

Difference with Kelly was you could see he was angry with himself and determined not to let it affect his performance in the remainder of the game. Chapman looked like a lost soul who'd wandered onto a football pitch.

It was an awful goal, looked like the culmination of how poor we've been over a long period, and in such a big game. Huge credit to the manager and players for turning it round.

1 hour ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Tell you what, having supported the 'Well nigh on 30 years, seen it so often the quick turnaround in performances.

Granted, it is still a big if, but IF we can take 3 points from United next week, then we're going into the Celtic game on a huge confidence boosting high. It would not surprise me in the slightest then to take 1, if not 3, points off them, which would be absolutely massive for our season.

100%, there's not a lot between everyone outside the old firm so things like confidence and belief are half the battle.

I think if we'd held on against United on boxing day it would have been enough to turn us around. I know a lot here will disagree and say that a turnaround couldn't occur without a change in manager, we'll never know if that's true.

• Like 2

In the position now where its in our own hands and we just need to match results of those below us to stay up. So some comfort there.

Like Maguire in midfield. Composed head and generally retains the ball and finds a pass.

Kelly also massive for us. The difference a safe pair of hands makes is huge.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

100%, there's not a lot between everyone outside the old firm so things like confidence and belief are half the battle.

I think if we'd held on against United on boxing day it would have been enough to turn us around. I know a lot here will disagree and say that a turnaround couldn't occur without a change in manager, we'll never know if that's true.

I would agree with that also.

26 minutes ago, Richie said:

In the position now where its in our own hands and we just need to match results of those below us to stay up. So some comfort there.

Like Maguire in midfield. Composed head and generally retains the ball and finds a pass.

Kelly also massive for us. The difference a safe pair of hands makes is huge.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Kelly has been excellent - he could have done better with the goal but so could MuGabi and Gallagher 

Maguire looks very similar to Donnelly - lots of skill and awareness . Only downside is he can be a bit slow.  We should keep him in until Donnelly fit and can figure out which is the better of the two players.

54 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I know a lot here will disagree and say that a turnaround couldn't occur without a change in manager, we'll never know if that's true.

I was more or less behind robbo till the end, but we do look a lot more organised and less error prone now. OK, the goal last night was riddled with individual errors, but just in general since Alexander came in. Problem has been doing it in the final 3rd.

35 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

I would agree with that also.

Alexander said it himself, the difference in the second half was mental as much as anything. He got them in and got a reaction. Whatever you think of Robinson, it was obvious he wasn't managing to get in the players' heads successfully anymore. Or his own, going by his demeanour at the end.

2 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

take a breather mate, we beat Ross county now you're talking about going to parkhead and taking three points.

6 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Just a wee bit of realism required, that's all.

Fair comment, but since the beginning of December, Celtic have been held at home by St. Johnstone (1-1), Hibs (1-1) and Livingston (0-0).

IF - and I stress the IF part - we beat United and take 6 out of 6, why shouldn't the team be confident in going there and doing so also?

I'd rather that than the alternative and the team rocking up to Celtic Park as we usually do in the hope we can keep it to 1, 2 or 3 to nil against.