Edvaldsson

livivoice

That is sad news. I wasnt that old at that time but just remember thinking it was a bit of a coup us signing an ex Celtic player. With hindsight that may have been because he was past his best, but I still have fond memories of him as a big gentle giant. 

RIP Shuggy 

A decent servant to the club during his time at Fir Park. He played at a time when his lack of touch or genuine footballing skills were made up for by his strength and commitment. By the time he was with us, as others have said, he was past his prime, but still put in a shift and his attitude could not be faulted. Am I correct in thinking that his performances for us got him back into the Icelandic national squad?

RIP and respects to his family and friends.

15 hours ago, numpty said:

Missed the biggest sitter in a 'Well shirt that I've still ever seen anyone miss.

Seem to remember game was against Killie. 

His ' miss' defied physics in that he and the ball where on the opponent's goal line . 'Shuggie' then somehow managed to put the ball over the bar. 

Cue hysterical laughter from both sets of fans.

Motherwell fans consoled themselves with the ' I was there' satisfaction.

3 hours ago, livivoice said:

Seem to remember game was against Killie. 

His ' miss' defied physics in that he and the ball where on the opponent's goal line . 'Shuggie' then somehow managed to put the ball over the bar. 

Cue hysterical laughter from both sets of fans.

Motherwell fans consoled themselves with the ' I was there' satisfaction.

That's right - it was against Killie at Rugby Park. He was so close to the goals, he actually had one hand touching the post. It was quite special.

Running an Icelandic article through Google Translate, there is a brief obituary here.

Jóhannes Eðvaldsson, a former national football team member, has died at the age of seventy. Jóhannes made the park famous with the big team Celtic in Scotland in the seventies and enjoyed great popularity among the team's fans. Jóhannes was born in the Westman Islands in 1950 and broke his football boots with Val. He tried his hand at professionalism in South Africa at the age of 22 with Cape Town City in Cape Town.

After a short stay at Metz in France and then Holbæk in Denmark, Jóhannes joined Celtic in Scotland in 1975. Jóhannes had a very successful five-year career with the Scottish big team and went by the nickname "Big Shuggy" among the team's fans. He scored 36 goals in his career at Celtic in 188 games and was considered a very versatile player who could solve most positions.

John won two Scottish Celtic titles and one Cup title but then went to the United States in 1980. He also played for Hannover 96 in Germany and Motherwell in Scotland before ending his professional career in 1984. Jóhannes played 34 national games for Iceland and scored two goals.

He was the brother of Atli Eðvaldsson, the former national team captain, but Atli died in 2019. Jóhannes leaves behind a wife, Catherine Bradley, and four children.

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Saw a picture of him celebrating a Celtic cup final win, Alfie Conn and Paul Wilson in there too.

Plus Andy Lynch, who scored as many goals for Motherwell in a single night as Seedorf and White combined have managed in their time here.

That was a special night. Celtic needed a draw to win the league. We beat them 3-0 with a spectacular double from Lynch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wishielad said:

Remember it well.

So do I, the minging hordes were crushed into the old Fir Park, barely hanging on to the ash slopes and causing a terrible stink.

I also remember that at least one of Andy Lynch's goals was an eighteen yard thunderbolt. Happy days. :D

On 1/26/2021 at 9:05 PM, grumpy said:

So do I, the minging hordes were crushed into the old Fir Park, barely hanging on to the ash slopes and causing a terrible stink.

I also remember that at least one of Andy Lynch's goals was an eighteen yard thunderbolt. Happy days. :D

If I remember right, he side foot volleyed both of them over his own keeper's head when trying to pass back :lol:

4 hours ago, AllyMax said:

If I remember right, he side foot volleyed both of them over his own keeper's head when trying to pass back :lol:

You're right I think, I thought they were similar but I was worried that my memory was playing tricks with me. I wonder if the highlights exist on youtube somewhere.