Season 2020’21: Game 25: Dundee Utd (H)

Andy_P

There's times when we could have played all night and not scored.  Tonight we could have score 5, 6 easy.

We've got a goalkeeper, we defended OK, we created and scored goals.

We're not going to dominate for 90 minutes most weeks but all the signs are there that we are going forward again. 

Hopefully we go to Celtic Park now with a St.Mirren/Livingston type attitude.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Relief! Had United equalised we couldn't have complained, but we were denied a stonewall penalty. Great first half very poor second. The main thing is though the 3 points are ours! 

I agree with you a lot of the time, Dave, but that's nonsense. They had a lot of the ball particularly in the second half but we created all of the chances. To suggest they deserved a point is a bit much...

Lamie & Kelly our stand out performers in the second half. Not even kidding about Lamie either, much more competent at CB. 

The most worrying thing is how our midfield naturally just sit in as games go on. This happened under Robbo and is continuing under GA. It's almost entirely linked to Watt being subbed too, he's the only player we have that can relieve pressure.

I can't remember the last time Watt lost the ball. Even when he's clearly blowing out his arse he can still take the ball for a run or win a free kick. 

• Like 1

Kelly certainly earned his wages tonight, that one save very late on was the difference between 3 points and 1.

At the back, we were pretty solid, but we can't do it for 90 mins, we always make enough errors that one of them eventually costs us. I was actually thinking that Mugabi had a MoM performance tonight, but then he let his man run off him for the goal. Lambie and Carroll were solid enough, but I was disappointed by O'Donnell. Very poor distribution tonight.

In midfield, Campbell and Crawford were willing workers, disrupting play when they could, but were easily by-passed by United in the second half. Maguire had a very good first 45, but faded badly in the second.

Up front, Cole really was on his game and is certainly a handful on that form. Long looked to be in the mood to score more and Watt was very composed and cultured, except in front of goal where he really needs a break.

We made it far harder than it needed to be. Had we taken our chances United would have been dead and buried. Midfield went awol in the second half and we lacked width. To my surprise Crawford was the pick of the midfield. With his experience Foley should be able to secure a starting slot. Maguire had a few dodgy moments. Campbell wasn't himself. 

On the plus side, Kelly had a great game, as did Watt, Long and Cole. Smith has his limitations but will allow us to play the long ball and hold it up. I'd also like to see him get on the end of crosses in a packed box. Central defence got little help but held firm.

3 points now we can kick on.

3 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

almost entirely linked to Watt being subbed too, he's the only player we have that can relieve pressure.

Exactly, Watt is so composed in possession. He takes the ball up field while inviting others to get involved and move forward as a team. Nobody else in the side does that. 

14 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

Lamie & Kelly our stand out performers in the second half. Not even kidding about Lamie either, much more competent at CB. 

The most worrying thing is how our midfield naturally just sit in as games go on. This happened under Robbo and is continuing under GA. It's almost entirely linked to Watt being subbed too, he's the only player we have that can relieve pressure.

I can't remember the last time Watt lost the ball. Even when he's clearly blowing out his arse he can still take the ball for a run or win a free kick. 

Said earlier that Lamie played in his natural position is no a bad player. One wee slip in the first half apart he was excellent

Thoroughly enjoyed that, in a perverse masochistic type of way!

First and foremost its a great 3 points. Took us 10-15 mins to get to grips with Uniteds press and it certainly caused us problems, but even then, they didnt create many clear cut chances. After that we dominated the first half and really shoulda been outta site by half time. Siegrists save from Mugabi really was top drawer.

2nd half United had a lot of the ball but again we defended it very well and created the much better chances and shouldve extended our lead.  They did have a decent shout for a pen when Cole barged into their player on the edge of the box but it wouldve soft compared to the challenge on McGinley that wasnt given.

All in all we probably deserved the win over the piece albeit we made ourselves work hard for it at the end.

Great performances all over the park. Mugabi played very well, the goal aside, Lamie surprised me how solid he was in the middle. Carroll was excellent tonight and showed the player he can be. Much better from Alan Campbell. Maguire had a few slack passes and the odd poor corner but you can see his quality and he will benefit from a run of games. The front 3 looked great. Seem to he getting a good understanding. Chris Long, where has that guy been hiding all season? Tony Watt was brilliant again, more so 2nd half. He holds the ball up so well and gets us up the pitch. Cole is starting to look a real handful as well and good to see him get another goal. Kelly though, again was a matchwinner. He will be disappointed that we conceed from the corner after such an exceptional save. However, his one on one just after that was as good as a goal. Would be great if there was any chance of us keeping him at the end of the season.

Still plenty room for improvement. We will need to see some more for Saturday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Jeez!!!! Just went to put stuff in bins outside and just found Mcginley's nose!!!

Remove the utd players boot first before you attempt to give him his nose back grizzly,absolutely shocking we didn't get a penalty,just glad it didn't cost us in the end.

• Haha 1

That was a proper game tonight. We could easily have been out of sight but given how mundane much of this season has been, I actually enjoyed riding the nerves for the last 10/15 mins. 

There’s obviously a few areas that need improving but there’s so many positives to cherish tonight, from our very assured keeper to the incisive interplay of our front three. Miles better that where we were for much of 2020. 

• Like 1

Yes it was scary at end and the subs like robinsons were so negative and invited them to come at us. But and it's a big but if it wasnt for utd keeper we would have scored 5/6 or more. Kelly has made 2 great saves and we are praising him to high heavens so let's not forget our forward play which was best wev been all season. Cole outstanding with watt not far behind and even long with his best game in a year. I dont know where that performance came from and other than last 15 mins it was very good and another step forward from county game. We are improving rapidly and thank god for that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

Great performance first half after a shaky start. Second half we looked like there was no movement, though to be fair that could have been cause the fecking stream was freezing every 2 minutes.

Still, happy with 3 points.

Need to upgrade your equipment for the run in

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If decisions even themselves out we must be due about 10 penalties !!

Getting six of them against Celtic would be good :lol:

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, 'WellMagic! said:

Should we play Watt deeper, he is never going to score a goal but he can take the ball for a run and get us up the park

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ropy said:

Should we play Watt deeper, he is never going to score a goal but he can take the ball for a run and get us up the park

I wouldn't be against playing watt slightly deeper,he's definitely intelligent and hard working enough to play in there,mind we did similar with scott mcdonald when we were struggling under barraclough,a wee bit of know how linking the midfield and strikers would be a good thing and I think watt could be the man for the job.

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Watt is a forward not a midfielder,   let's not go back to Robbo square pegs in round holes.  Tony doing a great job where he is

I wouldn't have him in say the midfield three but in between there and the strikers could work and allow us to play two strikers closer together,I agree he is doing a good job where he is,it might just be another option for certain games.

• Like 1