Season 2020’21: Game 25: Dundee Utd (H)

Andy_P

9 hours ago, ropy said:

It’s not bad 

Yep. 

I don't often go to reserve / unders games (whatever they're called now) but any time I have done Maguire stands out an absolute mile. Looks like a man against boys. I think he's still got potential to show that in the first team - great to see him finally getting his chances and putting in good performances. 

9 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Shankland is indeed pish. Siegrist is their MVP.

Lamie did a decent job, but he did have his customary brain farts, and I can't imagine he'll start against Celtic.  The rest of the defence had a pretty good game, and it's great to see Carroll settle into a run of games.

The midfield was overrun, but all three put in good performances, with Maguire sticking out in the first half. Hopefully he can get a few more games and solidify a place in the side. As said above, not all youngsters need to be saleable assets, we also need reliable long-term players. It will be interesting to see who makes way when players return from injury.

The forwards all had excellent games and ran themselves into the ground. Long showed again what he is capable of when it comes to finishing, and Cole is deadly from 6 yards. Watt is indispensable at the moment as he links well and gets us up the park, but he really needs to improve his finishing. 

It's a travesty that Shankland has caps for Scotland 

• Like 1

Not quite getting the full on admiration for Maguire just now. Sure, he brings some good things to the side - set pieces and crossing but he's prone to making a few blunders during games as he did last night. Once almost cost us a goal. He's still a young player and will learn but he'll have to iron out these mistakes. Due his chance though and I hope coaching will bring some solidity to his game.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Jock Brown made a similar comment in the first half. Even with Polworth there is too big a gap between the midfield and strikers. When Smith won a few knock downs,for example, there was no one near enough to take advantage.The midfield as is, is unbalanced. We need a good holding midfielder, a box to box runner and a creative type. Given GA's comments post Paisley, I suspect he'll bring in Foley fairly soon to give us more experience and to prevent us from sitting too deep, when not in possession.

When we didnt get that penalty I was crying out for Jock to say the refs decision was 'an act of sheer folly'  lol

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It's a travesty that Shankland has caps for Scotland 

And yet a few months ago there were people on here questioning why we weren't trying to sign him.

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not quite getting the full on admiration for Maguire just now. Sure, he brings some good things to the side - set pieces and crossing but he's prone to making a few blunders during games as he did last night. Once almost cost us a goal. He's still a young player and will learn but he'll have to iron out these mistakes. Due his chance though and I hope coaching will bring some solidity to his game.

The full on admiration is because his talent his obvious and we're willing to accept the mistakes as he develops. It's part of the enjoyment of watching players come through the system.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Out for 5 to 6 weeks. Knee.

Gaffer says a couple of weeks.

Alexander, whose team travel to Celtic Park on Saturday, said: “Steven Lawless felt his knee in training. He has had a scan and it’s not going to be too long, a couple of weeks.

“Dec has had a scan on a muscle injury and we are waiting on the results. Touch wood, it doesn’t seem too serious so we are hoping that will be pretty soon as well.

Good to see Faddy calling out Pawlett in particulars diving last night in Utds “throw yourself to the ground in quick succession” game. 

Lamie might’ve been much improved at tines but he struggles to even clear his lines at times and is still all over the place. If Gallagher is going to be out for even one more game then surely one of the new boys replaces him?

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Kelly really is a fantastic keeper. His shot stopping, communication and handling of crosses are great.

Also I've gone from thinking Maguire will never make it to hoping we extend his contract ASAP in a matter of a few games. A very tidy player indeed.

he's the only midfield player we have who can both win the ball and then find a well player with a pass.  

36 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Right now I’d rather have McGuire on the park instead of Polworth 

100% - different types of players in many ways.

To be honest with 3 up front I'm not sure we can afford a polworth type player as we'd simply have no bite in midfield.

Short term Maguire/Campbell/O'Hara feels like the way forward. 

4 hours ago, livivoice said:

Any news available on length of time out for O'Hara and what was it that happened to him?

Did he not suffer a concussion a few weeks back? I presumed thats what they meant by "illness".....