Season 2020’21: Game 26: Celtic (A)

Andy_P

I would have liked to have seen polworth rather than Smith on for Maguire. Long and Cole ran their arses off and polworth may have been better placed to exploit their movement. I wasnt at all impressed by Roberts, he's fast but looked very rusty. 

Lamie avoided major blunders, and overall the defence was pretty comfortable after they sussed Turnbull out in the first half. We were pretty composed throughout the game and had some good passages of play when we did have the ball. I thought the fullbacks were excellent. 

We lacked a killer touch throughout the game. We so often made a good interception, or created an opening, to then screw it up with a lazy pass. Both Maguire and Crawford were guilty on a few occasions of being careless when we just needed them to take the extra touch.

Overall I can't complain. I expected us to struggle, and I thought it was going to be embarrassing after that early goal, but we stayed organized and stuck to our plan, and in the end it was luck that saved Celtic. 

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

If nothing else there's encouragement in terms of mentality etc.

We would have folded in the last few games a month or two ago.

There has been a positive change in our approach to these games. I suspect Robbo’s team would have lost this one by a bigger margin. 

I've said it a few times but as soon as that Edouard goal went in (quality finish btw) we would have crumbled under Robinson and lost 4 or 5. 

We were unlucky in the end not to take a point as we made some really good chances. Credit to the team for hanging in for the 1st hour as Celtic were playing really well and we couldn't find a way through their press at all. It would have been good to get stuck in a bit more earlier in the game but sometimes you need to remember problems or not they have excellent players. Some good things to take forward and nice to not be totally dejected after the recent games against the Old Firm.

Edited by Walker86

21 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I would have liked to have seen polworth rather than Smith on for Maguire. Long and Cole ran their arses off and polworth may have been better placed to exploit their movement. 

Polworth doesn’t want to be at Motherwell and would have played his usual hiding act. Further he is away from the park the better as far as I’m concerned. 

7 minutes ago, milo said:

After today Utd and St Mirren look to be safe. Could’ve done with St Johnstone not winning. Need to hope we win at least one of our games in hand lest it  is a party of four at the bottom and everyone else well out of it.

St Mirren, probably. I still think Utd will be in the mix. Win our 2 games in hand and we'll be above them.

See if that was Jordan White missing that header in the last minute...

Maybe because it could still have gone in but that was an awful miss. I am not saying it would have been deserved but I don’t really care. You have a header at goal from a few yards out and hit it into the ground. On target and it would have been 2-2. 

So far so meh for H Smith. A Jordan White clone it would appear. 

The only positive is we only lost 2-1 where after 2 minutes and the ensuing pressure it looked like it could be a heavy loss. 

St Mirren and St Johnstone will be safe especially after their games today. A massive game midweek. Sadly Killie will probably have a new Manager In by then. They need it. Will make things that bit tougher.