Season 2020’21: Game 26: Celtic (A)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

See if that was Jordan White missing that header in the last minute...

Maybe because it could still have gone in but that was an awful miss. I am not saying it would have been deserved but I don’t really care. You have a header at goal from a few yards out and hit it into the ground. On target and it would have been 2-2. 

So far so meh for H Smith. A Jordan White clone it would appear. 

The only positive is we only lost 2-1 where after 2 minutes and the ensuing pressure it looked like it could be a heavy loss. 

St Mirren and St Johnstone will be safe especially after their games today. A massive game midweek. Sadly Killie will probably have a new Manager In by then. They need it. Will make things that bit tougher. 

Let’s hope it’s Elvis that takes over the Killie job and I cannot see anything but 3 points for us .

40 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I don’t give a f#ck. I am normally all over people who judge a player too early.

But that miss was appalling. And again if it was JW he would have been slaughtered. 

Without even having seen a replay, I'm gonna confidently say it was nowhere near as bad as you are making it out to be.

41 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I don’t give a f#ck. I am normally all over people who judge a player too early.

But that miss was appalling. And again if it was JW he would have been slaughtered. 

To be fair though I think at this stage it’s probably too early to call him a Jordan White clone. The new guys are going to take awhile to get up to speed and need the minutes.

20 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

To be fair though I think at this stage it’s probably too early to call him a Jordan White clone. The new guys are going to take awhile to get up to speed and need the minutes.

Be interesting to see how he plays when we have someone on the wing.  I don't really see hime working well as a three as part of Watt/Cole/Long/Him but if we have balls coming in from the wing it could be different story.

25 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Be interesting to see how he plays when we have someone on the wing.  I don't really see hime working well as a three as part of Watt/Cole/Long/Him but if we have balls coming in from the wing it could be different story.

Yes and it would also help if we had a strong running midfielder to support him.

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Without even having seen a replay, I'm gonna confidently say it was nowhere near as bad as you are making it out to be.

Well that is clever 

Edit to add - I have seen the highlights and it was as bad.

Not only that he has a free header straight after which had as much power as a 80 yr old asthmatic. 

I would love the guy to be a success but on the evidence so far he is no better than Jordan White. 

• Like 1

Its never easy at Parkhead when you lose an early goal and we took a while to settle after it. However, after 20 mins we eventually regained our composure and shape and were unlucky not to get a penalty when Long went down in the box. It was probably just about the correct decision but it was very close.

I do think we got our team selection wrong from the outset. I dont think the 4-3-3 did us any favours. The midfield got overun time after time and we defended very narrowly basically giving up the wings to their fullbacks to cross at will. I think we shouldve matched their 3-5-2 which may have given us a better platform to play from.

2nd half was another slow start and losing the 2nd goal looked game over. However, it was good to see the team repsond to adversity yet again and after we scored we seemed to take a lot of confidence from it and may have sneaked it at the end. We probably didnt deserve a point over the piece but it would have been welcome nonetheless.

I think it was an opportunity missed again as Celtic crumbled a little under pressure. On the plus side we finished strongly and didnt take a tanking.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I do think we got our team selection wrong feom the outset. I dont think the 4-3-3 didnus any favours. The midfield got overun time after time and we defended very narrowly basically giving up the wings to their fullbacks to cross at will.

Agree 100%. A 4-3-3 set up means that our strikers have to run themselves done for 90 minutes and retreat deep into midfield when we are under pressure as the midfield, in turn, retreats into our own box. It also means our midfield is quite narrow. In our last 2 games alone our midfield has gone missing for about 60% of gametime. According to BBC stats, our posession in both of our last 2 games has been about 35%. That puts the defence under great strain. Over the summer I'd like to see our our midfield completely revamped. Donnelly's return, whenever that is, will help, but not solve the problem. 

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

That puts the defence under great strain. Over the summer I'd like to see our our midfield completely revamped. Donnelly's return, whenever that is, will help, but not solve the problem. 

agree -the three man defence has been a problem for us all season.  Whether it's been Polworth being lazy, our our lack of passing ability or being simply out numbered.  

Short term Maguire, Campbell, O'Hara are likely our strongest midfield. Perhaps Foley adds something extra

I'm not quite sure whether to be satisfied or disappointed with yesterday.

The start was awful.  I might imagine that post Dundee Utd there would have been a lot of emphasis on not conceding early, being tight, growing into the game and trying to sneak the lead and see how they react.  Not for the first time this season against Celtic we've conceded early and not taken advantage of any pre-game vulnerability.

But then we did begin to do what I think Alexander had asked of them.  There wasn't a collapse.  We didn't retreat to the 18 yard line and wait for an onslaught and what in so many cases in the past would have been the killer second.  Ok, they still had chances, but I would expect them to have chances.  But then, so did we, albeit not so many.

I thought from the angle behind the goals it seemed to suggest he'd been fouled outside and fell inside the box.  I only caught that angle once so it may be from that with further views it has become apparent it should have been a penalty. Certainly they referred back to it in the commentary a few times.

When the second went in I thought that would be that but evidently not so.  The goal saw the belief build and without doubt Celtic rode their luck a little before the end with the chance at the death leaving a real sense of frustration.

Whilst unfortunately not a point there was certainly plenty to be encouraged about that can be taken forward.  Hopefully a thumping loss for Accies will mean that one of the trickier away days will have been negotiated with no ground gained by those underneath us.

• Like 3

we need to make teams work harder to get their goals.

First goal - Lamie was the player we opted to mark the zone and go fo the ball.  Big mistake - he's not aggressive enough. Big Bevis is the man for that job.
Second Goal - Crawford gave his man far too much space.

No harm to either Lamie or Crawford but they're not good enough for SPL.

Plenty of reasons for optimism , hopefully Gallagher, O'Hara and a few of the new boys can get up to speed. 

55 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

First goal - Lamie was the player we opted to mark the zone and go fo the ball.  Big mistake - he's not aggressive enough. Big Bevis is the man for that job.

Plenty of reasons for optimism , hopefully Gallagher, O'Hara and a few of the new boys can get up to speed. 

The second goal wasn’t Lamie’s man but he made himself smaller as the ball whizzed past his shins.  Stick a leg out man.

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Our manager was a decent right back and the assistant a centre half surly between them they can coach us to defend corner kicks !!! 

5 hours ago, ropy said:

The second goal wasn’t Lamie’s man but he made himself smaller as the ball whizzed past his shins.  Stick a leg out man.

Interestingly I was taking to a keeper about that type of situation a couple of months ago and his view was that he would rather the defender left it for him to save rather than risk a deflection which would send it in another direction as he started his dive. 
Basically, if he can’t guarantee to block it, leave it. 

I don't like to spend too much time on the root cause analysis for every goal we concede, because on one side we have us blaming someone for losing their man and other the other side the attacker is praised for finding space. Attackers will always have the advantage when it comes to movement on and off the ball.  Lamie isn't a great player, and is a liability with the ball at his feet, but it's a bit much to attribute the 2 goals we lost to Celtic to him alone. 

There's plenty of positives to take from the game, particularly how we had them on the ropes at the end. It's good to see a settled front 3 too, and hopefully Cole isn't cited for his kick. It will be interesting to see how we set up if we do lose him. My guess would be a straight swap for Smith. 

I enjoyed watching carrol and o'donnell pull down those pinged balls out to the touchline with ease, and their form will be key if we want to go on a decent run. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I agree with your first point.

For the first goal  Carroll gives his opponent too much room to concede the corner although he should feel hard done by as there was no midfield back up to him. When the corner comes in Carroll gets on the wrong side of Welsh and fails to put in a challenge at the header.

For the second  I agree that Crawford gives the scorer far too much room. Whether that was down to lack of confidence, laziness, disorganisation or lack of aggression I don't know.

I've been critical of Campbell for the last few months and there must be questionmarks over his off the ball play yesterday once again, but he really took his goal well. A cracking finish and the best of the 3 goals by a country mile. More of that please.

46 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I've been critical of Campbell for the last few months and there must be questionmarks over his off the ball play yesterday once again, but he really took his goal well. A cracking finish and the best of the 3 goals by a country mile. More of that please.

Campbell's shot took a deflection that lifted it over the keeper. 

On 2/6/2021 at 4:20 PM, steelboy said:

Thats dinosaur stuff. It's a squad game now and you need a different set up for Celtic away than scraping by Ross County and Dundee United. 

Dinosaur stuff? sticking with a team that will be getting some confidence back over guys who are just in the door and haven't kicked a ball in months isn't dinosaur stuff. Far from it.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:23 AM, ropy said:

Totally agree.  Fling yourself in front of the ball. Reminds me of the shit keeper you get at 5s, who turns sideways to avoid getting hit.

Think he’s lost in the team. If Gallagher unfit for Wed, give one of the young guys a go.