Season 2020’21: Game 26: Celtic (A)

Andy_P

What the headline says (and pretends is an actual quote).

'We can heap more misery on Celtic' reckons Motherwell hitman Devante Cole

What he says in the article

“It's always a hard test going to Celtic but coming off the back of two wins I think we can go there and just play like we have been doing and see what happens,” said Cole.

57 minutes ago, weeyin said:

No reason why not, they are on a poor run of form, unhappy players,  a manager who knows he will be unemployed soon, all contribute to make this a winnable game.

Our record  against them in recent seasons has been decent, if our attitude is right from the start and we get right into them as their defence is brutal then we can get a result .

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

No reason why not, they are on a poor run of form, unhappy players,  a manager who knows he will be unemployed soon, all contribute to make this a winnable game.

Our record  against them in recent seasons has been decent, if our attitude is right from the start and we get right into them as their defence is brutal then we can get a result .

My point was that the "quote" in the headline was pure fabrication written as click-bait to draw in the OF leaning punters. Devante never mentions "heaping more misery on Celtic". 

To call it misleading would be generous.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, weeyin said:

My point was that the "quote" in the headline was pure fabrication written as click-bait to draw in the OF leaning punters. Devante never mentions "heaping more misery on Celtic". 

To call it misleading would be generous.

It's a local newspaper, why are you surprised they are making stuff up, that's standard operating procedure for them, especially when the ugly sisters are involved.

The back to back wins takes the pressure off for this game, and I wouldn't be surprised if we go with the same lineup as Wednesday, save any injuries. I don't think that would be a particularly good idea, but can see it happening. I'd like to see us keep the same formation though, rather than try to be too clever, I think that's our best chance of getting anything. 

My biggest worry in that regard is the center backs, we still look shaky there and the clumsiness of Lamie and Mugabi terrifies me since Celtic will get those marginal penalty shouts.

Either way, St. Mirren have shown it can be done, so I'm looking forward to it. 

I used to not mind Lennon too much (I never 'liked' him, but I disliked him far less than cunts like Rodgers in previous years). This year though he's shown himself to be a petulant wee dick and I'd really quite like it if we could put the final nail in the cunt's coffin on Saturday.

3-2 to us.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

My biggest worry in that regard is the center backs, we still look shaky there and the clumsiness of Lamie and Mugabi terrifies me since Celtic will get those marginal penalty shouts.

Either way, St. Mirren have shown it can be done, so I'm looking forward to it. 

Be tempted to move to a 4-1-3-2 formation

Put Maguire in front of defence and bring back O'Hara.

If we go 4-3-3 then I'd replace Crawford with O'Hara.  

Regarding penalty shouts, it makes a difference when there aren't crowds screaming at the ref. It also helps that Celtic are well out of contention for the title, so refs feel less pressure to avoid "robbing" them.

Saying that, I have zero expectations in this game. The main thing is we keep our performance levels high and see what happens.

We are terrible at keeping clean sheets at the moment, so I expect we need at least 2 goals to get anything from this game.

As much as Celtic are a bit of a shambles just now the omens for the game are not good,  was just reading we have lost our previous 7 games  against Celtic with an aggregate score of 25-4 so it will be a tough ask, but not beyond us if our approach and attitude is good from the start.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

I immediately thought the same thing myself. Some Celtic fan with a  laptop hoping to give Lennon something to stick on to the dressing room wall as motivation? Devante was quite clever NOT to give the journo an incriminating quote.

All the more reason to pump them tomorrow.

Lesson for all MSM readers: never believe the headline.

You have the hope we might be able to do something like St Mirren did but no doubt it’ll be a routine home win with Turnbull on the scoresheet. The Killie game is probably more important but not to the extent that we don’t bother here, which I’m sure won’t be the case.

Hopefully with some training and squad integration with the new defenders we won’t have to see Lamie feature again. 

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

4-3-3 at Parkhead is bold, especially given the intensity we played with on Saturday night, and a big game coming up on Wednesday.

Hopefully we press like fuck and can nick a result.

Press them and be prepared to use 5 subs from the bench to keep the pressure on 

This is an ideal situation to avoid rushing people into the lineup before they're fully fit, plus it rewards those responsible for the last two wins. We're telling players they are in control of keeping their spot, which is healthy. 

Now, that does mean lamie and mugabi against Celtic at parkhead and little likelihood of a clean sheet, but the pressure is off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

This is an ideal situation to avoid rushing people into the lineup before they're fully fit, plus it rewards those responsible for the last two wins. We're telling players they are in control of keeping their spot, which is healthy. 

Now, that does mean lamie and mugabi against Celtic at parkhead and little likelihood of a clean sheet, but the pressure is off. 

Yep, I would say absolutely Zero chance of a clean sheet, can we keep it down to 3 ? They are not at their best but a centre half pairing of Mugabi and Lamie is pretty frightening in truth.

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Hopefully we can take any chances we get in front of goal today.  Would be. Great day for Tony to find his scoring touch again. 

And more than a touch poetic! :P