Season 2020’21: Game 28: Hamilton (H)

Andy_P

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

In that case he'll be disappointed. Certainly we played better after the break but quite a few players, Watt and Cole excepted , were still poor. Our midfield was far too static before and after the break and failed to compete. It also helped that Accies took their foot off the gas.

midfield all too similar 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

. Our midfield was far too static before and after the break 

Issue with all three of the midfield is their first option is to turn backwards to pass to a man - rarely do they make a forward pass and it gives the opposition far too much time to get into position.  Polworth has many flaws but at least he's a forward thinking player

Time will tell just how costly this shocker today will be but it really could be pivotal. Losing such a massive 6 pointer in such a manner at home is unacceptable and the ramifications could be huge. I for one can’t wait to see the back of the many many wage thieves we currently are having to suffer.

The run of games coming up are all crucial and also difficult to see where the wins are going to come from. to keep us up St Johnstone away? Hibs? Livingston? 

1 minute ago, milo said:

Time will tell just how costly this shocker today will be but it really could be pivotal. Losing such a massive 6 pointer in such a manner at home is unacceptable and the ramifications could be huge. I for one can’t wait to see the back of the many many wage thieves we currently are having to suffer.

The run of games coming up are all crucial and also difficult to see where the wins are going to come from. to keep us up St Johnstone away? Hibs? Livingston? 

Shut the fuck up. We have just taken 9 points in the last 17 days.

Clown

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

before this block of 4 games I was hoping 9 points would be our reward.  if we can beat both St J/St M we'll achieve it.

There's something wrong with the mentality of our team - we don't have players who look that hungry. We get a few decent results and get very complacent v's an Accies team who won't almost every 2nd ball. 

33 minutes ago, milo said:

It’s worth remembering we have won three games under Alexander. Today was very poor but we have clearly shown we are more than able to pick up points. We can’t have the players thinking they can’t win games, that WILL have us relegated. At least it’s given Alexander a chance to see what happens when this group of players step off the gas, we’ve seen it before, it’s not the ability at times it’s the attitude.

25 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Shut the fuck up. We have just taken 9 points in the last 17 days.

Clown

Ha ha!

Feel free to disagree that today won’t be pivotal. Time will tell. The defence and midfield are a riot and a quick glance at our bench today should raise many questions about January’s business.

Something extremely fishy about Gallaghers situation also. 

50 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Issue with all three of the midfield is their first option is to turn backwards to pass to a man - rarely do they make a forward pass and it gives the opposition far too much time to get into position. 9

You're right but I was thinking more about when we're not in possession. There were several instances in the second half when Accies were passing the ball about at will on the edge of our box. Our midfield 3 just stood bemused as they spectated. No energy, no movement, no aggression. No effort was made to close attackers down. That made life very hard for an admittedly poor defence.

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You're right but I was thinking more about when we're not in possession. There were several instances in the second half when Accies were passing the ball about at will on the edge of our box. Our midfield 3 just stood bemused as they spectated. No energy, no movement, no aggression. No effort was made to close attackers down. That made life very hard for an admittedly poor defence.

And that’s the problem when we step off the gas. Our best performances have always been when everyone has been up for the fight, that’s often been missing this season. I know Campbell gets a bit of a free ride next to the likes of Polworth  but he’s been just as guilty as anyone at times.

Burrows never answered question at AGM about Gallagher contract re playing another game and contract automatically extended . He said don’t believe everything you read in papers and that contracts are private ,but as it stands Gallagher is out of contract in the summer . Well obviously as it stands as he needs to play 1 more game he is out of contract in summer but if that story is rubbish why not say that ,sounds to me there is some truth in there . Also good to hear Alexander not blaming midweek fir our absolute dreadful performance . He has a big job on his hands as we are  terrible and I just hope he can keep us up and gets the opportunity to rebuild this team as there is so much dead wood in that team . If you lose 3  0 to your local rivals and are desperate for revenge and play just as bad if not worse god  help us . I am not giving up but we are in a real relegation fight and I really do worry if the players we currently have are up for the fight . That’s 3 times  we have lost a derby this season and been absolute howling with no fight and to me that is so worrying . Need to bin today and move on but hope the players are hurting as much as me and rest of Motherwell fans but unfortunately I doubt it going by their effort today. Glad no midweek game and really hope we can improve for next week as can’t be any worse .

20 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I know Campbell gets a bit of a free ride next to the likes of Polworth  but he’s been just as guilty as anyone at times.

Absolutely Yorky I like Allan Campbell but with one or two exceptions he's hardly kicked a ball for us in the past 2/3 months and its not down to burnout.

Where to begin...

I didn't see it coming.  Results of late have been half decent, even with the much maligned central defensive pairing of Mugabi and Lamie.  Performances have been half decent (in spells of games at least). The noises beforehand seemed to strike the right note of being confident but appreciative of the fixture and what it has generally entailed. I felt positive we could keep things going.

Firstly the start.  Again, another lacklustre opening.  This time there would be no opportunity provided by the opposition to build our way into the game. Three goals and a man down, the game finished before most of them looked like they'd brushed away the sleep from their eyes.  Ridiculously bad.  The first was bad enough but for a player who has played however many times for his country, who has been handed the armband in a fairly obvious attempt at tempting him with a long term contract Stephen O'Donnell has an incredible lack of awareness at times.  From that shot at Tannadice in injury time to whatever it was he felt he was going to achieve in the box today,  Red card, penalty. Out for the next game too. Well played Stephen!

And then we wait for the obvious substitution from Alexander to attempt to shore things up and prevent a confidence sapping pummelling. And wait. And wait. And..... fucking hell we're now 3-0 down before we decide to take off one of three strikers moping around the pitch whilst Accies are now cutting through us like a hot knife through butter. It was a ridiculous decision not to react. Take the sting out of the game. Slow their momentum. Who knows you might sneak a goal and then be able to chase it in the latter stage. They are hardly the most attack minded of sides at the best of times. Instead we invited them to kill us off and are now looking back on the end of a potentially confidence sapping hammering.

The second half was pretty much a write off. A  training exercise for them in trying to pick off a beaten team and for us with debut for Johnston and some messing about with positions.

You would have been hard pressed to believe that a derby game this season could be any worse than the pathetic performance over there at New Year, but there you go, Motherwell never cease to amaze.

Thee deficiencies and weaknesses in that team, if they had been hidden or disguised in any way in the weeks following Alexander's appointment have been laid bare for all to see. In the longer term that might well be a good thing but for now its concerning how easily and quickly they were again exposed.  The faith, belief and confidence that many had built up in Alexander has taken a considerable dent today.  This wasn't just a smash and grab.  This was an embarrassing hammering.  He has a job to raise spirits/kick arses/do whatever he feels requires to be done to ensure that, at least in terms of the period since he took over, today will come to be seen as a blip - a fucking horrible blip, but ultimately a blip.  Over to you Graham...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Where to begin...

I didn't see it coming.  Results of late have been half decent, even with the much maligned central defensive pairing of Mugabi and Lamie.  Performances have been half decent (in spells of games at least). The noises beforehand seemed to strike the right note of being confident but appreciative of the fixture and what it has generally entailed. I felt positive we could keep things going.

Firstly the start.  Again, another lacklustre opening.  This time there would be no opportunity provided by the opposition to build our way into the game. Three goals and a man down, the game finished before most of them looked like they'd brushed away the sleep from their eyes.  Ridiculously bad.  The first was bad enough but for a player who has played however many times for his country, who has been handed the armband in a fairly obvious attempt at tempting him with a long term contract Stephen O'Donnell has an incredible lack of awareness at times.  From that shot at Tannadice in injury time to whatever it was he felt he was going to achieve in the box today,  Red card, penalty. Out for the next game too. Well played Stephen!

And then we wait for the obvious substitution from Alexander to attempt to shore things up and prevent a confidence sapping pummelling. And wait. And wait. And..... fucking hell we're now 3-0 down before we decide to take off one of three strikers moping around the pitch whilst Accies are now cutting through us like a hot knife through butter. It was a ridiculous decision not to react. Take the sting out of the game. Slow their momentum. Who knows you might sneak a goal and then be able to chase it in the latter stage. They are hardly the most attack minded of sides at the best of times. Instead we invited them to kill us off and are now looking back on the end of a potentially confidence sapping hammering.

The second half was pretty much a write off. A  training exercise for them in trying to pick off a beaten team and for us with debut for Johnston and some messing about with positions.

You would have been hard pressed to believe that a derby game this season could be any worse than the pathetic performance over there at New Year, but there you go, Motherwell never cease to amaze.

Thee deficiencies and weaknesses in that team, if they had been hidden or disguised in any way in the weeks following Alexander's appointment have been laid bare for all to see. In the longer term that might well be a good thing but for now its concerning how easily and quickly they were again exposed.  The faith, belief and confidence that many had built up in Alexander has taken a considerable dent today.  This wasn't just a smash and grab.  This was an embarrassing hammering.  He has a job to raise spirits/kick arses/do whatever he feels requires to be done to ensure that, at least in terms of the period since he took over, today will come to be seen as a blip - a fucking horrible blip, but ultimately a blip.  Over to you Graham...

good and straight to the point post,  we will c grahams reply next sat after a weeks feckin hard double sessions n if there not up to it then GTTF

Embarrassing display out fought/thought by a team who have now taken 9 points from us this season......6 of them thoroughly deserved.

For me Accies bring nothing to the SPL table, poor support/plastic pitch/shite day out etc etc............and we still have to go there again this season, and on today’s form the top 6 is LA LA land........from the bbc

Hamilton have had the better of this fixture in recent times, winning three of the last four matches, and it could not have started any better for them during a nightmare opening 31 minutes for Motherwell.

Ryan Fulton in the Hamilton goal rarely touched the ball never mind being forced into a save as his forwards made the three points a certainty with a clinical display.

38 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Where to begin...

Pretty much as above. 

No one can argue that results have improved since GA came in but that performance and result raises quite a few question marks...

We have brought in more players in Jan than any other team but they came here on the Mary Celeste. Where are they. Lawless injured but others appear to be unfit or god knows what. It is worrying that Kelly aside not one of the new recruits is a starter or can affect a game going south. 

What did the players think would happen today ? Hamilton would allow us the time and space to grow into the game. It was an awful start. That worries me greatly. I am sure all teams are missing home fans but the players would have known from the off it was unacceptable. For us there was no noticeable improvement after the 1st or 2nd goal

A 3 man midfield is not working. The tactic of letting other teams have the freedom of the wings is not working.

GA is already under immense scrutiny after that today.  

Our home  form is the stuff of horror movies. 

St Johnstone next week is must not lose with 3 points a real requirement or else we could be once again odds on to finish bottom 2. 

The manager said "up until the first goal there wasn't much in it". That is an absolutely ridiculous comment. The first goal was at 7 minutes.

I turned it off after the third goal.   What a waste of 12 quid at a time when like everyone I'm scraping the barrel. The squad will be fine. They'll go home, chill and roll into training next week. Then move onto new clubs or jobs while leaving our club in a mess feeling nothing because they are nothing but a spineless shower. Not seeing anyone in the squad who truly has this club at heart at the moment. In past years we had the Lasleys, Craigans and Hammells of this world to name a few who so clearly loved this club. There is noone in this team who I get that vibe from and it shows. 

Even down to 10 men I'd expect more. There is a batch of individuals at this club who need to go. Managers are hounded out, why can't players be run out the same...?

• Like 6

The lack of fight and heart as well as ability has been a problem since day one this season and is a major factor in why we are where we are. 

That’s before you get onto the players who don’t want to be here and are merely going through the motions.

Then you’ve got the injury list which we added to in January.

Them you’ve got the bench which contains not a single player who can affect the game positively in our favour when coming on.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely Yorky I like Allan Campbell but with one or two exceptions he's hardly kicked a ball for us in the past 2/3 months and its not down to burnout.

Yes we like him coz hes one of our own and I like him due to this also but if we are honest midfielders in my day  I am (49) were the best players on the park with the no 9 a greedy fucker who could win you games.  It's still same now but our midfield there are none who are really good football players. Maguire is best of them all imo but if you compare him to gorrin Rodriguez  for instance he is miles behind. Our forwards are good and have potential but due to midfield limitations we are going to struggle.  Polworth who I rate will be getting better by the week by not playing.