Season 2020’21: Game 28: Hamilton (H)

Andy_P

At first glance the timing of this does seem suspicious but then again it might just be a coincidence,not much has gone our way this season,from poor signings,changing manager,injuries and some dubious refereeing decisions so gallagher being injured would just add to that.as soon as the talk of a contract extension came up speculation was always going to happen,I'm certain he won't be with us next season,the main thing is we can get him back in the team and we stay up this season.

9 hours ago, smiddy said:

injured ,,,,, happened at the right time with one game to go before he triggers an extension

how do they do a lot of things,, agents advice, toys out the pram, head turned ,who knows

one more game triggers his extension then another team would need to buy him as heez our player for another 12 months, if he doesnt play again due to injury etc he fecks up his euro chances

so heez in a dilema, answer ,get your agent to look at the small print and see if there is any way out of the situation, while he gets FIT again, 

time will tell if / when he gets back to playing and what happens with the contract he was happy to sign for us

image.jpeg.61e010ddd96112b7af93cc48cc5b05e1.jpeg

WHERES DECLAN?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I don't know what's going on with Gallagher , but talking about scans...

Gareth Bale didn't feature in Spurs squad the other night. He, or someone representing him, posted on Twitter about having a good training session that day, so the media started asking questions. Mourinho said Bale had been for a scan, which came back clear. Despite that, and the advice of physios etc, Mourinho said he can't play a guy who feels/says he's injured. 

If Burrows doesn't want to talk about the trigger and the papers didn't just invent it, where do we imagine it came from? And why would it be disclosed for absolutely no reason?

Gallagher's scan came back showing a grade one muscle injury and  the papers invent things all the time - they probably read it on here after someone who is pals with Gallagher's neighbours old window cleaner mentioned it to a dog. 

What you and a few others are speculating is the biggest fuck you this club will have probably ever had from a player. The club captain feigning injury during a relegation fight and jeopardising his place the Euros so he can leave on a free. 

I get why a few folk are asking the question - and to be honest, after the abuse the guy got after the Hapoel game I wouldn't blame him if his affinity to the club was damaged - but it all just seems a bit far fetched. 

53 minutes ago, CoF said:

Gallagher's scan came back showing a grade one muscle injury and  the papers invent things all the time - they probably read it on here after someone who is pals with Gallagher's neighbours old window cleaner mentioned it to a dog. 

What you and a few others are speculating is the biggest fuck you this club will have probably ever had from a player. The club captain feigning injury during a relegation fight and jeopardising his place the Euros so he can leave on a free. 

I get why a few folk are asking the question - and to be honest, after the abuse the guy got after the Hapoel game I wouldn't blame him if his affinity to the club was damaged - but it all just seems a bit far fetched. 

To be clear, I don't doubt Gallagher's injured. 

Here's what I'm speculating about: someone shared his confidential contract details with the press, and it wisnae a window cleaning dog's neighbour. Everybody knows they're no shy about printing fairy stories, but this wee snippet has led to prolonged speculation about Gallagher's professionalism, which has now amplified because he's picked up an injury at precisely the point most folk assumed the supposed contract extension was about to be triggered. Bad timing for us, unfortunate timing for him.

You said it yourself, any player behaving in such a manner would be delivering a huge fuck you to their club, and even a whiff of a possibility could seriously affect their future employment prospects. So, under the circumstances, if the contract story wasn't true, I wouldn't be sitting with my mouth shut. Though I'm shutting it about this from now on.

It's not really much of a conspiracy theory (which I cannae be arsed with anyway), mibbe a cautionary tale about people imagining they can use the press.

As I said in a later comment, injury permitting, I'm sure he'll be back in the team asap, hopefully make the Euros squad  and off to bigger money in the summer, which will suit him and us, as long as we stay up. And I expect him to give 100%, same as the rest, whatever they think of the fans.

11 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I'll go with Gallagher being back in the team soonish and the trigger disappearing.

Needs must: He needs to play before the Euros. We know he's off and need him in the team now more than we need the transfer fee next season.

what would the big deal be to any prospective club anyway, e g Celtic. The transfer fee involved would be buttons.

I also dont think the guy would jeopardise his Scotland chances, especially at the age of 30.

Maybe I am very naive but give someone the benefit until proven otherwise,  especially someone who has served us  well. 

Interesting to hear GA saying that he might have got the team selection wrong, I would love to know how he would have changed it, as the previous game we were singing the praises of the defence and the only change from the Killie game was to bring in O’Hara for Crawford which I suspect 99% of us would have agreed to that change!!

2 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Interesting to hear GA saying that he might have got the team selection wrong, I would love to know how he would have changed it, as the previous game we were singing the praises of the defence and the only change from the Killie game was to bring in O’Hara for Crawford which I suspect 99% of us would have agreed to that change!!

Crawford is very much a poundshop Allan Campbell but collectively if you intend playing three alongside Maguire and Campbell (without having seen Foley) his inclusion offers the best balance of seeking to protect the defence whilst offering some kind of support to the attack.  At least with Crawford in there you very much know what the role is and what you are going to get. He's going to do his share of hustling, breaking things up and being something of a nuisance. It's much less clear what O'Hara's intended role is.

When O'Hara is in there the mix just doesn't seem right.  He doesn't appear to offer anything more than the oft slated Polworth creative wise, he seems to impinge on Campbell's freedom to get forward and in defensive terms I've always thought he's looked a lot more comfortable at centre-half with the full pitch in front of him rather compared to when in midfield.  I'm not saying Crawford is a better player, but the mix seems that bit better.

A trio of Maguire, Campbell and Crawford is a midfield that doesn't strike you as suggesting it offers wonderful creativity or goalscoring threat  but let's not forget that our last two goals from open play have been scored by a midfielder.

29 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

what would the big deal be to any prospective club anyway, e g Celtic. The transfer fee involved would be buttons.

I also dont think the guy would jeopardise his Scotland chances, especially at the age of 30.

Maybe I am very naive but give someone the benefit until proven otherwise,  especially someone who has served us  well. 

Yeah, I get that Scotland caps won't feed a family, but playing (hopefully well) at an international tournament isn't a bad way to sell yourself to a bigger club. Even at 20 you might never get the chance again. 

Gallagher might no have been at his best this season, but if more of our signings worked out like he has, we'd be doing OK. Still comes back to the contract details being made public. That doesn't happen, we wouldn't be having this particular conversation. 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I wonder if he meant formation rather than personnel. 

18 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

I'll go with Gallagher being back in the team soonish and the trigger disappearing.

Needs must: He needs to play before the Euros. We know he's off and need him in the team now more than we need the transfer fee next season.

I believe that Gallagher does have this part in his contract about triggering an extension, and what is actually happening, is that he and his agent are in discussions with Motherwell about having this removed. Only once this is agreed will we see him back playing for Motherwell. It just seems too much of a coincidence that the "injury" came when it did.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I believe that Gallagher does have this part in his contract about triggering an extension, and what is actually happening, is that he and his agent are in discussions with Motherwell about having this removed. Only once this is agreed will we see him back playing for Motherwell. It just seems too much of a coincidence that the "injury" came when it did.

I'm not really buying the conspiracy nonsense, and actually think that even if the trigger is activated he'll get his move if the club receive a suitable sum in return. We've never been the type who hold players to ransom, and I think we'd be realistic in agreeing a fee with the player and his agent that we'd allow him to leave for.

I'd certainly hope the club wouldn't be removing any trigger. He signed that contract, and as such we're entitled to retain his services or make a small profit off his departure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not really buying the conspiracy nonsense, and actually think that even if the trigger is activated he'll get his move if the club receive a suitable sum in return. 

Or  as we've done before with others,  give him a cut of the transfer fee.

53 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I’d be going to the papers with that, that’s a hell of a scoop.

You can see why people ask questions though. In regards to Premiership games (not sure on cup games) he's been an ever present since he joined but when he's rumored to have reached the activation point in his contract he picks up an injury. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out as I'm sure Alan Burrows mentioned something about not believing what you read in the papers in regards to the extension.

I wonder how common these automatic extension clauses are, I always remember Giles Coke having one but the ball was in his court whether he took the extra year or not.

1 hour ago, yosemite sam said:

Thats the best conspiracy theory so far,  your a Donald Trump fan aren't you, don't be shy :nod:

2 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

Do you have personal knowledge of the situation? What is your belief based on?

3 hours ago, MearnsWell said:

Interesting article from Modern  Fitba on SPFL midfielders.  Mark O Hara a one-trick defensive pony, Alan Campbell very similar to Polworth *and* ideal for Celtic...

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2021/2/13/using-machine-learning-to-find-players-in-similar-roles-in-scotland

I don't see how Campbell is anything like Polworth.  Campbell is more defensively minded who isn't very good at passing/linking play.  In all honesty his strengths are Polworths weaknesses and vice a versa.   If they were one player we'd have an absolute gem who could play at a much higher level. In reality I don't think Campbell is likely to go to any top tier club.

Stayed away from reading anything about Saturday, a really hard one to take, performance was miles off it. I must admit I thought we would turn up, get the three points and move on, which in hindsight was very naive giving how Hamilton played against Rangers the previous week.

We started the game terribly but I still thought once we get going we will be fine, the red card and penalty killed it as a contest, and that is pretty much how our entire season has went, nothing has really went out way, some things you can control, some things are in the hands of the officials. I am not sure we have had a dodgy penalty all season, or a marginal offside call go in our favour but we have had plenty the other way.  Saying that, the Ref got the penalty and red card spot on this time so I have no complaints, you need to make your own luck, and we don't.

Don't think anyone comes out of Saturday with any credit, players and management will know that.

We are all well aware that anyone can beat anyone in this league out with the top two at any given point and 9 times out of 10 could just about to accept it, what makes this result worse is the fact we have now dropped 9 points out of 9 this season, and not beat them in 5 now. 

anyway, we move on, suspect we will see a few changes to the team on Saturday.

On 2/15/2021 at 3:17 PM, MearnsWell said:

Interesting article from Modern  Fitba on SPFL midfielders.  Mark O Hara a one-trick defensive pony, Alan Campbell very similar to Polworth *and* ideal for Celtic...

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2021/2/13/using-machine-learning-to-find-players-in-similar-roles-in-scotland

Alan Campbell for Celtic is why it's impossible to take those advanced stats guys seriously.