Season 2020’21: Game 29: St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

In the space of a week we have been bossed at home by two rank rotten sides (seven conceded), I know we are just as putrid but we had a real opportunity to draw them back into the relegation mix today but we were well off it, I can accept getting beat but when you are fighting near the bottom you would at least think they would care. I think most fans seemed scunnered when they seen the side pre match, obviously we knew we had massive injury problems but its quite ridiculous the numbers that are out, a wee bit of transparency wouldn't go a miss. Least Accies and Killie slipped up but I can't help but worry that we are heading back down the way.

Anyway same again Wednesday then sadly.

See when a manager has watched a formation not work and watches his team get over run and still doesn't change it ?  That's not a good sign.  

The three centre forwards playing with 2 as wingers has never really worked, yet we still persist. Utter shite.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pretzel said:

In the space of a week we have been bossed at home by two rank rotten sides (seven conceded), I know we are just as putrid but we had a real opportunity to draw them back into the relegation mix today but we were well off it, I can accept getting beat but when you are fighting near the bottom you would at least think they would care. I think most fans seemed scunnered when they seen the side pre match, obviously we knew we had massive injury problems but its quite ridiculous the numbers that are out, a wee bit of transparency wouldn't go a miss. Least Accies and Killie slipped up but I can't help but worry that we are heading back down the way.

Until we get players back and fit nothing is going to change, it’s going to be a struggle to stay out of the bottom two with what we have just now. I think with that starting 11 we will struggle to win a single game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Still watching this one unfortunately :) and my point still stands.

You don’t have a point.

Saying they are in a cup final because Celtic and rangers aren’t is both obvious and irrelevant.  They have qualified on merit by winning matches and fair play to them. They have a settled sqaud and a lot of long serving players, younger players like Mccart and McCann who would walk into our side and a couple of decent recent additions also. For a mid level premiership team, they are currently a model of how to do it. They have stability and clearly a vision at the moment for how to conduct themselves - right now, I cannot see that at Motherwell to anywhere near the same degree

• Like 2

Not in the least bit surprised by this result. Given the team we had to field what were folk expecting? If we have to field much the same team next midweek I'll take another 3-0 defeat providing there's no more injuries or red cards. Being realistic, I'm hoping that we're not adrift come the split. That will give us time to regroup. 

Could we have done better today? Yes, I think our 4-3-3 set up was wrong, although options were limited. Very few pass marks, Kelly and the promising Johnston being exceptions.  Not a day on which to judge our strikers. In short the entire midfield and defence, with the exception of Johnston was shocking.

As I said, pre match, there's a danger of going on a downward spiral lets hope that doesn't happen.

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Apparently down south he was a 4-4-2 man so I don't think he is wedded to 4-3-3 it's just that we don't have four midfielders. 

think we need to make one then....long up front is waste of a jersey, got nothing out of watt today , so need to get him into game.

even a draw on Wednesday...just to stop the rot.

3 minutes ago, johnstone said:

This injury crisis will relegate us. Still maintain a fully fit squad would be a top six shout, but as soon as we lose a high number of key players then the backup is miles off. 

This. 

I know people are upset as am I but I am seeing points that are rendered meaningless. Like we would struggle in the championship. Of course we would. We had a 3rd choice defence and 2nd choice midfield. 

No team could cope with the amount of players missing today. 

All that said bewildered that GA thought going with 3 up front and in midfield would help us. 

Also bewildered about the amount and nature of injuries. Have seen nothing like this in 40+ years supporting Motherwell. Something just feels not right. Mystery illnesses all over the place. 

6 minutes ago, pretzel said:

totally agree...it would be good to know when we can expect players back cos until then, it would be better to put 10 men behind ball and rely on breakaways

Just now, Kmac said:

You don’t have a point.

Saying they are in a cup final because Celtic and rangers aren’t is both obvious and irrelevant.  They have qualified on merit by winning matches and fair play to them. They have a settled sqaud and a lot of long serving players, younger players like Mccart and McCann who would walk into our side and a couple of decent recent additions also. For a mid level premiership team, they are currently a model of how to do it. They have stability and clearly a vision at the moment for how to conduct themselves - right now, I cannot see that at Motherwell to anywhere near the same degree

Sorry but that’s just nonsense other than the fact they have a settled squad. They have hardly picked up any more points than we have and don’t have a crippling injury list, how on earth does that make them so much better ? We had Campbell, Dunn, OHara, Gallagher, Carson, O’Donnell, Donnelly all out today and in my view they would all have been playing if fit. That’s 7 out of the starting 11 and all our midfield and 1 out of the back four and goalkeeper. There is no way St Johnstone would have been any better if they lost that many crucial players.

6 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

If Gallagher is trying to renegotiate his contract to avoid an automatic extension, you could argue that he is now in a strong negotiating position. On the other hand, he's hardly been fantastic and if he's not committed, how will he perform..?

leave him in the stand and he can play for scotland at fifa

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not in the least bit surprised by this result. Given the team we had to field what were folk expecting? If we have to field much the same team next midweek I'll take another 3-0 defeat providing there's no more injuries or red cards. Being realistic, I'm hoping that we're not adrift come the split. That will give us time to regroup. 

Could we have done better today? Yes, I think our 4-3-3 set up was wrong, although options were limited. Very few pass marks, Kelly and the promising Johnston being exceptions.  Not a day on which to judge our strikers. In short the entire midfield and defence, with the exception of Johnston was shocking.

As I said, pre match, there's a danger of going on a downward spiral lets hope that doesn't happen.

I accept we have a lot of players out, but if our fringe players and youth players aren’t good enough why are they there, you have to take your chance when presented with it

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

Sorry but that’s just nonsense other than the fact they have a settled squad. They have hardly picked up any more points than we have and don’t have a crippling injury list, how on earth does that make them so much better ? We had Campbell, Dunn, OHara, Gallagher, Carson, O’Donnell, Donnelly all out today and in my view they would all have been playing if fit. That’s 7 out of the starting 11 and all our midfield and 1 out of the back four and goalkeeper. There is no way St Johnstone would have been any better if they lost that many crucial players.

We have a huge/‘injured’ squad made up of loan players, players running down their contracts and short term deals - that is of our own making. Injuries or not, there is 0 appetite or ability to battle for the club in this squad and that is completely self inflicted. 

10 minutes ago, Kmac said:

You don’t have a point.

Totally agree with that kmac. They were miles better than us and Davidson has built a good solid squad

Our recruitment has been poor, but the injury/illness list is killing us. I'm worried about whatever grimshaw has, that's a long time out for an illness. Hopefully Campbell shakes his off soon.

Hard to give anyone pass marks after that. It was good to see Johnstone get a full 90 mins. He was shaky and was one of the worst culprits for giving the ball away, but we hardly set him up to succeed. He did look quick and played the position well, so hopefully he can continue to push for a place.

3 up front doesn't work. Its embarrassing that we played most of the game with 3 strikers and managed one shot. Cole is really frustrating as despite the work he puts in, the ball just bounces off him half of the time. I'm not sure what the solution is, but surely we need to try something else?

Also, I understand that the manager wants to persevere with his ideas, but we clearly do not have the players to play the ball out from the back, and this situation isn't the right time to try and force this onto technically poor players.