Season 2020’21: Game 29: St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not in the least bit surprised by this result. Given the team we had to field what were folk expecting?

In the last three years we've hardly won a game where Campbell was missing, never mind everyone else.

But let's be honest about it, St Johnstone would probably have beat us anyway.  They have been better than us all season.

4 minutes ago, Kmac said:

We have a huge/‘injured’ squad made up of loan players, players running down their contracts and short term deals - that is of our own making. Injuries or not, there is 0 appetite or ability to battle for the club in this squad and that is completely self inflicted. 

Not one of the players I mentioned is a loan or on short term deal.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In the last three years we've hardly won a game where Campbell was missing, never mind everyone else.

But let's be honest about it, St Johnstone would probably have beat us anyway.  They have been better than us all season.

yep, agree they're a tidy team but I thought the

1 each game ip there, we were better.

I usually can take something out of any game but that's just left me flat, cant wait for this season to end, hopefully we manage to stay in league

think ga has got to learn really quickly.

8 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

I accept we have a lot of players out, but if our fringe players and youth players aren’t good enough why are they there, you have to take your chance when presented with it

Well the youth player, just turned 17 did ok and kept plugging on till the end. 
Same can’t be said for Polworth and those to jokers at centre half 

Young boy showed more commitment and guts than those 3 put together 

• Like 3

Just now, Kmac said:

Dunne hasn’t kicked a ball in 2 years, Campbell isn’t signing a new deal and Gallagher is trying to get away - scenarios covered by post

Not really though is it. You can’t force players to sign new contracts, not one player who would start is a loan player, you can also include Lawless in that. You’re simply choosing to ignore the fact that just about all our first choice starting 11 are under contract ( not short term deals or loans).

Thankfully I missed this game, but reading the comments one sticks out a mile. If there are 18 players out injured surely there's something wrong with fitness, training, or our physio, perhaps a combination. Either way that has to be a major concern on how the injury list gets to this stage. Given that, surely the current results can't be much better if we have to go so far down the order to put a team on the field. I've been a supporter since about 1955, even earlier actually since I heard the cup final on the wireless, and I can't remember being so depressed, not even when we had been relegated. This is really bad stuff. How can you win if most of your players don't really care?

just need to hope GA has learned that if we are not strong enough to go for a win on wed then at least he packs the defence / midfield and makes us hard to beat, cause another  bad defeat and any crumbs of hope  weve got will be blew oot the water  and i dont fancy our chances in a bottom of the league scrap with these bunch of fuckwits

20 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Sorry but that’s just nonsense other than the fact they have a settled squad. They have hardly picked up any more points than we have and don’t have a crippling injury list, how on earth does that make them so much better ? We had Campbell, Dunn, OHara, Gallagher, Carson, O’Donnell, Donnelly all out today and in my view they would all have been playing if fit. That’s 7 out of the starting 11 and all our midfield and 1 out of the back four and goalkeeper. There is no way St Johnstone would have been any better if they lost that many crucial players.

You can't realistically count Dunne as a possible starter, given how long he's been out and the questions over whether he'll ever play for us again. You'd be as well using Tait or Hartley's absences as an excuse.

We're probably missing Donnelly more than anyone, but the club knew how long he'd be out, so why the hell didn't they prioritise finding a replacement long before January's window opened? We managed to bring Kelly in on relatively short notice, so it can be done. Somebody has to answer for the mob we did recruit, because the few who are available are undoubtedly useless in our current situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

No team could cope with the amount of players missing today. 

All that said bewildered that GA thought going with 3 up front and in midfield would help us. 

Also bewildered about the amount and nature of injuries. Have seen nothing like this in 40+ years supporting Motherwell. Something just feels not right. Mystery illnesses all over the place. 

Good post Iain. I've been going to FP even longer and I've never known such an injury/illness crisis. Is it just bad luck or is there more to it. There seems to be a helluva lot of training/mystery problems. It doesn't feel right. 

7 minutes ago, smiddy said:

just need to hope GA has learned that if we are not strong enough to go for a win on wed then at least he packs the defence / midfield and makes us hard to beat, cause another  bad defeat and any crumbs of hope  weve got will be blew oot the water  and i dont fancy our chances in a bottom of the league scrap with these bunch of fuckwits

agree with this, be hard to beat, forget about 3 up front

Alexander post match interview. Rues the amount of players injured but points out that we didn't get the basics right. Best players were the youngsters..etc. States he thought he thought he had enough players to maybe get something from the game if not a win. I think he is being kind to the players and trying to nurse us to the end of the season. I  think once we are secure he will be holding the front door open for a fair few of those players to exit.

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

Alexander post match interview. Rues the amount of players injured but points out that we didn't get the basics right. Best players were the youngsters..etc. States he thought he thought he had enough players to maybe get something from the game if not a win.

well i think most on here didnt think that when we seen the team

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

Alexander post match interview. Rues the amount of players injured but points out that we didn't get the basics right. Best players were the youngsters..etc. States he thought he thought he had enough players to maybe get something from the game if not a win.

Don't know how he thought that. When I saw the team I couldn't see us getting anything from the game. I would have rather he had put another two players in midfield, and hope for a breakaway goal, or a draw.

• Like 1

7 nil in 2 home games is pathetic at any time, but when it's under new management...

Don't care which players he picks or what formation he goes with, it's his job to make sure we don't get annihilated, no matter how crap we are. If the groundsmen had masterminded today it could hardly have gone worse.

2 hours ago, star sail said:

Sounds like we are beat before we kick a ball?

Another way to look at it is that it gives the fringe players a chance to stake a claim. You don't get paid as a professional football player if you are a total dud!! These players should be capable of stepping in. 

Campbell needs a rest so whether enforced or by choice it is maybe no bad thing in the longer term that he is getting a chance to rest. 

Somebody said we have not won on a Saturday since October, well get the beers chilling in the fridge cause I think we are winning this one. 

2-1 Motherwell. 

Well blind optimism did not work. 

It is the lack of fight that is the biggest concern. Craigen said on the radio 'you don't need to like the manager but you still have to try' or words to that affect. 

I hope he was speaking in general terms and not specifically about the players feelings towards GA. 

Very difficult to find the positives right now.  I suppose it is only football so I hope everyone can enjoy there Sat eve just the same. 

Wednesday now becomes another huge game. 

Just checked the score as I switched off the stream at HT. Heartened to see it wasn’t anymore than 3-0 as I was fully expecting to see a 5 or 6-0 by full time. It’s batten down the hatches time as we look out on our feet and devoid of ideas on how to get out of this mess. We will be fortunate to come out of this in eleventh or god forbid twelfth place.  

1 minute ago, star sail said:

Well blind optimism did not work. 

It is the lack of fight that is the biggest concern. Craigen said on the radio 'you don't need to like the manager but you still have to try' or words to that affect. 

I hope he was speaking in general terms and not specifically about the players feelings towards GA. 

Very difficult to find the positives right now.  I suppose it is only football so I hope everyone can enjoy there Sat eve just the same. 

Wednesday now becomes another huge game. 

have you heard they dont like him?

just think , even if that was  the case, you want to be earning win bonuses etc....at a club like Motherwell,  that makes  a massive difference to your wage.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, Liam Polworth is an utter fucking dick.

Got dropped for David Tunrbull two years ago and still can't get over it. He couldn't give any less of a fuck if he tried.

It was literally  7 months ago 

• Like 1