Season 2020’21: Game 29: St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

We were well beat today 

But if you look at the goals we lost they were all self inflicted 

Jake Carroll shate out of a tackle for the 1st

Amateur defending and offside for the 2nd

Least said about Polworths penalty for the 3rd the better.

Don’t know when Campbell, O’Hara, Smith came down with the illness but if it was last night or this morning not a lot of time to reorganise 

Also noted we were missing 2 subs on the bench and Semple was not there is he injured/ sick also 

2 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

have you heard they dont like him?

just think , even if that was  the case, you want to be earning win bonuses etc....at a club like Motherwell,  that makes  a massive difference to your wage.

No it was just based on a comment Craigan made on BBC Radio Scotland. He was commenting on the lack of fight in the team. I think he was talking in general terms but he did say that not liking he manager is not a reason for a lack of effort. 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

It's all Robinsons fault he left us wae a load of shite which will have to be outed before we can move on . Other question I really would like answered is did GA sign the players in the window or were they already in the pipeline 

If they were in the pipeline they would have been in quicker, these are on Alexander but they were very likely not our first or second choices.

1 minute ago, wellwell91 said:

We were well beat today 

But if you look at the goals we lost they were all self inflicted 

Jake Carroll shate out of a tackle for the 1st

Amateur defending and offside for the 2nd

Least said about Polworths penalty for the 3rd the better.

Don’t know when Campbell, O’Hara, Smith came down with the illness but if it was last night or this morning not a lot of time to reorganise 

Also noted we were missing 2 subs on the bench and Semple was not there is he injured/ sick also 

It’s been known most of the week.

25 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In the last three years we've hardly won a game where Campbell was missing, never mind everyone else.

But let's be honest about it, St Johnstone would probably have beat us anyway.  They have been better than us all season.

With the exception of his 2 recent goals, even Campbell has been very poor for the last 2/3 months.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

If they were in the pipeline they would have been in quicker, these are on Alexander but they were very likely not our first or second choices.

Doubt he was here long evough to identify targets - let alone get them signed up. I'm fairly sure these would have been in the pipeline long before he arrived.

2 minutes ago, star sail said:

No it was just based on a comment Craigan made on BBC Radio Scotland. He was commenting on the lack of fight in the team. I think he was talking in general terms but he did say that not liking he manager is not a reason for a lack of effort. 

hopefully  yheres nothing in it , think a lit of them are just average at best   , its easy to down tools when you're getting runaround. 

49 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In the last three years we've hardly won a game where Campbell was missing, never mind everyone else.

But let's be honest about it, St Johnstone would probably have beat us anyway.  They have been better than us all season.

Exactly its those self same injured players who have put us where we are . We are rank and have been rank all season. Where are all the smug crowing merchants tonight who were giving all the "pantywetters" a hard time .... 

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Good post Iain. I've been going to FP even longer and I've never known such an injury/illness crisis. Is it just bad luck or is there more to it. There seems to be a helluva lot of training/mystery problems. It doesn't feel right. 

26 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Just checked the score as I switched off the stream at HT. Heartened to see it wasn’t anymore than 3-0 as I was fully expecting to see a 5 or 6-0 by full time. It’s batten down the hatches time as we look out on our feet and devoid of ideas on how to get out of this mess. We will be fortunate to come out of this in eleventh or god forbid twelfth place.  

This motherwell team couldnt batten down their flies wie super glue. 

As bad, if not worse than last week, without the excuse of a red-card (and trying use to Barry Maguire being hit with the ball in the face as a factor).

I had been generally impressed with what Alexander had achieved in the short time since his appointment.  I've had my concerns about the way we've tried to shut up shop towards the end of games, but we had made some progress. But last weekend had the alarm bells ringing such as the lack of activity when the game was beginning to get away with us.  That has only been exacerbated after today.

It was an excellent finish for Saints opener granted but you don't have to look too hard to see how it could have been prevented.  The second, the epitome of shooty-in.  The third, further lack of awareness from Polworth on the back of Pittodrie.

But Polworth wasn't alone in seemingly learning nothing from previous matches.  Three isolated forwards again? Especially when you have little or nothing in the way of creativity to give anything remotely resembling a fighting chance and a make-shift defence that desperately requires all the protection it can get.

Still the perseverance with the short kick outs at goal-kicks?  No Jock, it isn't dangerous because of the conditions or the pitch. Its dangerous because of the frequency we try to do it, the signal it sends out to the opposition and the standard of the players trying to carry the manoeuvre.

Alexander is being hamstrung with the sheer number of players that are available to him, that is pretty obvious, but he's not helped himself in several respects and has now presided over back to back results and performances that have been as poor, if not worse, as those that resulted in the change of manager in the first place.

There was absolutely nothing. One attempt to goal to twenty plus from St Johnstone.  That is an absolutely horrendous statistic.  A team that we could actually have overtaken had we won and we are allowing more than twenty efforts at goal from them. Apalling!

That the teams below us have gained no ground and that another game has been ticked off is about as positive a spin as you could put on it.  It says much that its as good as it gets. 

There was some great work undertaken in the early part of this year that put us in a position to really move ourselves clear of bother. We are in danger of completely screwing up all that good work. We have a game in hand that could allow us to put ourselves seven clear of second bottom but do you have any faith that we can go to Paisley in midweek and make that happen. I'm afraid to say that at this moment in time I'm struggling to find it.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

You can't realistically count Dunne as a possible starter, given how long he's been out and the questions over whether he'll ever play for us again. You'd be as well using Tait or Hartley's absences as an excuse.

We're probably missing Donnelly more than anyone, but the club knew how long he'd be out, so why the hell didn't they prioritise finding a replacement long before January's window opened? We managed to bring Kelly in on relatively short notice, so it can be done. Somebody has to answer for the mob we did recruit, because the few who are available are undoubtedly useless in our current situation.

Dunn was starting games before his injury and in my view would have played alongside Gallagher this season if fit, however as you rightly say he has been out for a long time. Donnelly has been a huge miss, more than many probably realise. Regarding the transfer window signings it would be good to know who pulled the trigger, probably a mix of those of interest to Robinson and Alexander.

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Regarding the transfer window signings it would be good to know who pulled the trigger, probably a mix of those of interest to Robinson and Alexander.

Yup, I'd love to know who and what the rationale was, but we never will. If we scrape through this season, that's one thing, but the possibility that recruitment policy was in any way deliberate and could be repeated is horrifying.