Season 2020’21: Game 29: St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

You don’t have a point.

Saying they are in a cup final because Celtic and rangers aren’t is both obvious and irrelevant.  They have qualified on merit by winning matches and fair play to them. They have a settled sqaud and a lot of long serving players, younger players like Mccart and McCann who would walk into our side and a couple of decent recent additions also. For a mid level premiership team, they are currently a model of how to do it. They have stability and clearly a vision at the moment for how to conduct themselves - right now, I cannot see that at Motherwell to anywhere near the same degree

A model of how to do what, avoid relegation and settle for a bottom 6 finish, they have been as shit as us in recent weeks , a couple of results makes a big difference. 

Compare like for like ie 1st choice players for both teams, not the thrown together shambles we had today,  do they have better players , maybe 1 or 2, in certain positions but overall I would back us to beat them as we have done consistently in recent seasons.

We are a fan owned debt free  top flight club for 30 odd years, multiple European qualifications,  do StJ regularly challenge for a top 6 finish or a European spot, no. So are they miles better than us playing wise..no, how the club is run...no, they are a mid table club just like us.

• Like 3

When your in a situation like this you need players with heart and who are willing to put their bodies on the line 

Any one of the following would do fine at the moment Willie McVie, Peter Miller, Stuart McLaren or Luc Nijholt

None of them great footballers but anyone playing against them new they were in a game.

This mob of spineless chickens are not going to get us out of this mess 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

A model of how to do what, avoid relegation and settle for a bottom 6 finish, they have been as shit as us in recent weeks , a couple of results makes a big difference. 

Compare like for like ie 1st choice players for both teams, not the thrown together shambles we had today,  do they have better players , maybe 1 or 2, in certain positions but overall I would back us to beat them as we have done consistently in recent seasons.

We are a fan owned debt free  top flight club for 30 odd years, multiple European qualifications,  do StJ regularly challenge for a top 6 finish or a European spot, no. So are they miles better than us playing wise..no, how the club is run...no, they are a mid table club just like us.

Have to agree,trying to use st johnstone as some kind of example of how a club should be run is nonsense,aye we're having a shit season but even then I wouldn't swap anything they supposedly have over us.

• Like 2

Winter recruitment as bad if not worse than summer recruitment. Difference is the summer recruitment was into a team that finished third and seen as enhancing it. The winter recruitment was for a team going to be in the mire until at least game 36 of 38 and needed to provide new options and shore it up. Both failed and the winter has proven to be even worse despite being more critical and off the back of no lessons learned.

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

This is a cross purposes argument. Are Gallagher, Campbell, O’Donnell et al. Strong enough to play for St Johnstone or most teams in the league, probably. That’s not the issue and isn’t my point. My point is that we have the perfect storm. Players with no affiliation to the club winding down their deals, short term players and loans. 
Ask yourself how many of those players are committed to Motherwell for the next 2-3 years unless someone comes in with a big bid and bigger salary and the answer is probably fewer than 10% of the squad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Winter recruitment as bad if not worse than summer recruitment. Difference is the summer recruitment was into a team that finished third and seen as enhancing it. The winter recruitment was for a team going to be in the mire until at least game 36 of 38 and needed to provide new options and shore it up. Both failed and the winter has proven to be even worse despite being more critical and off the back of no lessons learned.

So the big question is who is behind the recruitment as they need binned pronto.

3 minutes ago, milo said:

So the big question is who is behind the recruitment as they need binned pronto.

Nay it’s whose behind the 4-3-3 that needs binned and I don’t care who it is.

We stumbled on to this formation with Campbell Gorrin and Turnbull but we’ve never had the players to play that system since Gorrin left, yet we keep this formation.

5 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Nay it’s whose behind the 4-3-3 that needs binned and I don’t care who it is.

Formation really gets on my goat for the following obvious reasons.

The front 3 - don't play well together.  Long is a centre forward not a wide player so it doesn't work.
3 midfield players don't work with our current team  for the can't pass or are slow. 
We get outfought /over run every game in midfield.

We could play
3 -5 -2. and have 2 wing backs 
4-4-2 

Bottom line is If we keep playing the same formation its
1) easy for the opposition
2) madness to expect it to work

This is stuff I'd expect a new manager to change and I'd certainly expect us to change formation mid game when getting humped - it's not good enough.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He'll be in the Scottish Championship in 3 months  -  sadly that's where we could be heading if not very careful

was a one trick pony, which was great when it paid off. Even in his 4 game purple patch, I noticed he couldn't cross a ball, now he cant even get to the by line.

now hes got nothing ...with his pace, he should be demanding ball and tearing by players but diesnt have game intelligence. 

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Could you imagine this shower trying to win a play off 

I was just thinking about this .  In our final 5 matches we'll need to scrap and fight for everything.

Irrespective of talent I'd only back Kelly, Mugabi, Campbell, O'Hara,  Grimmy, Watt  to show any real fight.

From the 826 players on our books that's a huge concern. 

31 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

The front 3 - don't play well together.  Long is a centre forward not a wide player so it doesn't work.
3 midfield players don't work with our current team  for the can't pass or are slow. 
We get outfought /over run every game in midfield.

Lewis Irons made a god point today and last Saturday (with 2 different midfields), and that is that our strikers are too isolated from the midfield. Its been this way all season.

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Lewis Irons made a god point today and last Saturday (with 2 different midfields), and that is that our strikers are too isolated from the midfield. Its been this way all season.

If that is the case, and im not saying its not, then surely the solution is to move Watt back to what should be the tip of the diamond position. Let him play the turnbull role. He is the only one that can take a touch and create, to be honest the only one with vision. He doesnt score anyway so pulling him back a bit doesnt sacrafice anything

• Like 2

Look at the players we let go who would do a far better job in this current squad,  Peter Hartley a born leader and a guy who gave 100%, may have not been technically the best but played for the badge, Richard Tait gave everything every game, Adam Livingstone better than the full backs we have now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Look at the players we let go who would do a far better job in this current squad,  Peter Hartley a born leader and a guy who gave 100%, may have not been technically the best but played for the badge, Richard Tait gave everything every game, Adam Livingstone better than the full backs we have now.

What did Adam Livingston ever do to prove himself as first team level?