Run in to the split - Predictions

Goggles & Flippers

On 2/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, couttsy said:

All depends on injuries and illness. If we get O’Donnell, Gallagher, Ohara and Campbell back pronto, then I think we’ll stumble to safety. Without them the 25/1 on us finishing bottom looks a good bet, sadly.

dont see the rush to get Odonnell back...suspect defensively and the lad Johnstone did well.

the other 3 would help and..mugabe too.

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Devastating is exactly what it is. It's in our own hands, but you'd expect Celtic to pump Ross County every time.

The fact they've taken 3 points from a game they should be taking 0 from is pretty devastating, especially given how pish we are. If teams around us start pulling out wins like that and we are managing one shot on goal at home to St Johnstone it's time to start worrying.

worrying wont help us.

weve got to remember we pulled 9 points from killie, ross co and dundee utd...not brilliant for 90 mins in all of those games but did enough. 

12 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

not a world beater but he was never the donkey portrayed on here ...I would suggest offered more than Long and didn't go about like he was doing us a favour playing 

No matter what Jordan White did or didn't offer, we replaced him with Harry Smith. That sums up why we are where we are.

11 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

No matter what Jordan White did or didn't offer, we replaced him with Harry Smith. That sums up why we are where we are.

again smith is in danger of being labelled a donkey...haven't seen enough if him to say one way or other...his height should be a problem for defences at least, if teams defend like Celtic did for white goal.

49 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

dont see the rush to get Odonnell back...suspect defensively and the lad Johnstone did well.

the other 3 would help and..mugabe too.

Agree that O’Donnell has been far from great and the young lad did ok at the weekend. However facing a relegation battle I’d rather play the vastly experienced Scotland international than the 17 year old with a couple of games under his belt. Looks a great prospect and I think his time will come but we need all the experience we can get particularly whilst we’re missing most of our older heads at the back.

Just now, couttsy said:

Agree that O’Donnell has been far from great and the young lad did ok at the weekend. However facing a relegation battle I’d rather play the vastly experienced Scotland international than the 17 year old with a couple of games under his belt. Looks a great prospect and I think his time will come but we need all the experience we can get particularly whilst we’re missing most of our older heads at the back.

experience is great if you can mark your man , no give away pens and stay on park

not saying sod doesn't try , I just dont hes very good.

maybe we should give some hungry youngsters a chance cos hastie,  polworth ( who I generally like), carrol dont seem engaged.

25 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

again smith is in danger of being labelled a donkey...haven't seen enough if him to say one way or other...his height should be a problem for defences at least, if teams defend like Celtic did for white goal.

given the team can't get out of our own half of the park - can't say I'd give any of our strikers a hard time.

If they were missing loads of chances then yes.  The issue with Smith is we don't cross the ball - therefore his height isn't any advantage at the moment

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I'm not having a go at the guy or suggesting he's a donkey, but I've seen enough to guess his size and playing style are going to make him a target for referees. And is our team set up to help a player like Smith?

Even if he's available, I can't see him starting and he's not the guy to bring on if we're trying to see a game out, so it's probably gonnae be last 10 minutes Hail Mary time he's given. 

Another signing that leaves you asking, why?

19 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

given the team can't get out of our own half of the park - can't say I'd give any of our strikers a hard time.

If they were missing loads of chances then yes.  The issue with Smith is we don't cross the ball - therefore his height isn't any advantage at the moment

Pretty much my view. We've simply not been playing to our strikers' strengths.

16 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I'm not having a go at the guy or suggesting he's a donkey, but I've seen enough to guess his size and playing style are going to make him a target for referees. And is our team set up to help a player like Smith?

Even if he's available, I can't see him starting and he's not the guy to bring on if we're trying to see a game out, so it's probably gonnae be last 10 minutes Hail Mary time he's given. 

Another signing that leaves you asking, why?

There was a cross put on a plate for him 6 yards out in the 93rd minute at Parkhead and he practically headed it in to his own feet.

Im going to go out in a limb and say he’s murder!

18 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

experience is great if you can mark your man , no give away pens and stay on park

not saying sod doesn't try , I just dont hes very good.

maybe we should give some hungry youngsters a chance cos hastie,  polworth ( who I generally like), carrol dont seem engaged.

I would much rather we get as many experienced players back as possible, not the time to be playing too many young players. The fact is most of Saturdays team were not first choice picks and while you can get away with one or two to fill in you can’t make it work with more than half the team. Every club has a squad of players of various experience and quality, you can’t have 30 players all of the same standard, one you could not afford it, and two the fact half of them would be asking to leave pretty sharpish. We need a minimum of 3/4 of our usual starting 11 back to start picking up points again in my view.

1 hour ago, David said:

What's that? 35 years in the top flight? Well, we've had a good run, eh? Better than most clubs our size.

A good run, only bettered by two current larger premiership teams. However, we need to be mindful but for a few rule technicalities we would have been relegated years ago.  Has our luck run out? Only time will tell if this top flight run has come to an end. 

32 minutes ago, milo said:

There was a cross put on a plate for him 6 yards out in the 93rd minute at Parkhead and he practically headed it in to his own feet.

Im going to go out in a limb and say he’s murder!

I was about to post same. He has enough minutes and probably more than Jordan White was afforded in his last few cameo appearances to make an educated guess. I say educated as like every Motherwell player he has stubbed his toe and may not play again for some time. 

I just hope this is not going to be the season where come the end we are championship bound and we start dissecting  the reasons why. To be fair I don’t think Alexander coming in would be one of them. But so many things have conspired against us what with points awarded and taken away, too many dodgy ref decisions, a quite unbelievable absence / injury list and players coming to end of contract or wishing they were. A perfect storm. We may yet survive but considering the season it would be a bit of a miracle. 

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I was about to post same. He has enough minutes and probably more than Jordan White was afforded in his last few cameo appearances to make an educated guess. I say educated as like every Motherwell player he has stubbed his toe and may not play again for some time. 

I just hope this is not going to be the season where come the end we are championship bound and we start dissecting  the reasons why. To be fair I don’t think Alexander coming in would be one of them. But so many things have conspired against us what with points awarded and taken away, too many dodgy ref decisions, a quite unbelievable absence / injury list and players coming to end of contract or wishing they were. A perfect storm. We may yet survive but considering the season it would be a bit of a miracle. 

Who? Why? When? That's this season in a nutshell. It felt out of control before Alexander came in, steadied briefly, now it's come off the tracks again.

We're still in charge of our own fate, but fate seems to be pissing on us from a great height.

Can I remind everyone that we are in a better position than any of the other relegation threatened teams?

4 points and a game in hand on some teams.

Kilmarnock are on 8 defeats on the trot, we are on two. 

The last two matches have been poor but I doubt if the rest of the teams are gonna rack up wins in the next few weeks and we need fewer points to guarantee safety than any of them.  All the teams below us would bite your hand off to be in our position.

It'll go to the post split fixtures and we are going to have to fight it out but are people throwing the towel after two poor results?  Have you watched Motherwell before or know the league?

Come on!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Can I remind everyone that we are in a better position than any of the other relegation threatened teams?

The last two matches have been poor but I doubt if the rest of the teams are gonna rack up wins in the next few weeks and we need fewer points to guarantee safety than any of them.  All the teams below us would bite your hand off to be in our position.

It'll go to the post split fixtures and we are going to have to fight it out but are people throwing the towel after two poor results?  Have you watched Motherwell before or know the league?

Come on!  

Bang on 

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Come on!  

To be fair it is all rather exciting - in a nuts in the grinder kind of way. 

A lot will depend on who is fit and available to play between now and end of season. 

There is an International break of two weeks before game 33 so that may help us get some players back for the crucial post split fixtures.