Tony Watt acting skipper

SteelmaninOZ

If you looked at just the stats Watt is a player who'd be slated for his lack of goals .

The simple fact that he works his backside off and has the ability to hold the ball and pass means he's our player of the year , despite. a lack of goals.

We need more lads to care the way Watt does.  

Still don't think he's a striker but a great player to have just behind the front 2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

While I think Watt can help some of the younger players on and off the field I think we need more of a Hartley type captain. To encourage, organize and drive the players on and sometimes give them a rollicking when needed. It also has to be natural for the captain to be like that. Doesn’t have to be your best player, just has to be your best leader. We have really missed that since Hartley’s been gone.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

I'm a big fan of Watt, but I've never been a big fan of strikers being captain.  Can you imagine Louis Moult yelling at Hartley or Aldred to tell them how to defend?

Aldred is a great leader on and off the pitch for Brisbane Roar and am sure if he was still at Motherwell he would be just as good. I do agree with you that a striker doesn’t make a good skipper.

Watt was only skipper for that one game.

1 hour ago, Haggischomper said:

Skipper is a shoo-in for O'Donnell

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I really don't think so, never seen him display any leadership on the park. Don't know what he is like in the dressing room so cant comment about that. GA wants certain players brought in with the right 'character' and I expect one of them will be a captain of his choosing, someone he brought in he can trust on the park.

34 minutes ago, Well Well said:

GA wants certain players brought in with the right 'character'

Sounds as though GA  is going down the St Johnstone route. I 'm not yet sure about him but yes, this is the way to go for a mid sized Premiership club like us. If we can build a solid no nonsense team that makes very few errors and fights as a team then that will guarantee us safety from relegation and a mid table place at worst. Add a bit of quality from Academy graduates then you have a realistic chance of siilverware. Will that be attractive to watch? I very much doubt it but I don't hear many St Johnstone fans complaining. I admit we can't compete with St Johnstone on the salaries front.  Did our fans complain about our thunderdome style when we reached 2 cup finals? I rest my case.