Season 2020’21: Game 31: Hibernian (A)

Andy_P

I thought that not bringing on Long with Lawless might have cost us as Cole was as burst as the rest, but we got through it.

The better performances have been built on consistency of selection, what do we do with the defence going forward with want away contract rebel Gallagher being the only defender to make an arse of it yesterday?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I thought that not bringing on Long with Lawless might have cost us as Cole was as burst as the rest, but we got through it.

The better performances have been built on consistency of selection, what do we do with the defence going forward with want away contract rebel Gallagher being the only defender to make an arse of it yesterday?

Personally I think you should always play your strongest starting 11. If you think Gallagher is a better all round  centre half than those that played yesterday he starts. Alexander may want to stick with a winning team though. 

I didn't see this result coming but that makes it all the more welcome. I've only seen Jordan Roberts goal and boy did he take it well. What a sublime pass from Tony Watt though!

Given results earlier in the season though you have to ask whats made the difference? Certainly Campbell has added a spark since he's come back although Steven Lawless was hardly able to make a major contriution yesterday. Has GA been gradually tweaking positions, tactics and training methods? Is he bringing the best out in players? Were the players not performing for Robbo? Whatever it is lets hope it continues. Last Wednesday and certainly yesterday certainly proved we have players of a decent enough calibre to stay up. Good to see Ricky Lamie getting some praise after the flak he took earlier, much of it deserved it has to be said.  

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I didn't see this result coming but that makes it all the more welcome. I've only seen Jordan Roberts goal and boy did he take it well. What a sublime pass from Tony Watt though!

Given results earlier in the season though you have to ask whats made the difference? Certainly Campbell has added a spark since he's come back although Steven Lawless was hardly able to make a major contriution yesterday. Has GA been gradually tweaking positions, tactics and training methods? Is he bringing the best out in players? Were the players not performing for Robbo? Whatever it is lets hope it continues. Last Wednesday and certainly yesterday certainly proved we have players of a decent enough calibre to stay up. Good to see Ricky Lamie getting some praise after the flak he took earlier, much of it deserved it has to be said.  

It’s hard to say given performances under Alexander have switched from good, back to awful, back to excellent, his points percentage has however been better than the last few months under Robinson. I still think the first few games of the season defined what followed with so much possession in games along with so many missed chances, confidence just slowly dropped. Without the huge injury list we would be top six again, absolutely no doubt about that, the difference two or three players back has made is huge. Kelly is a fantastic addition and that alone steadied the ship.

I don’t know if it’s my imagination but I seem to think that we play better against the top clubs as they sit higher up the park and give us more space to attack. The likes of Accies sit back packing the area in front of the box and wait to hit us on the break. 
Given  space we appear to be able hurt teams but don’t have the guile break down defences, which makes me fear that the post split games will see us losing more than we win. 

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s hard to say given performances under Alexander have switched from good, back to awful, back to excellent, his points percentage has however been better than the last few months under Robinson. I still think the first few games of the season defined what followed with so much possession in games along with so many missed chances, confidence just slowly dropped. Without the huge injury list we would be top six again, absolutely no doubt about that, the difference two or three players back has made is huge. Kelly is a fantastic addition and that alone steadied the ship.

I agree. It's such fine margins and most teams around us are so close in terms of form and talent, it's often circumstance that can make or break a season. In our case, some early key injuries plus the lack of goals at the outset set us on a bad path.

I always said we had sufficient talent to comfortably avoid relegation and I think the Hibs game showed that.

A typical "what might have been" season.

6 hours ago, ropy said:

with want away contract rebel Gallagher being the only defender to make an arse of it yesterday?

According to the BBC gossip page yesterday's appearance triggered his contract extension "till at least the summer " was the phrase used, so either his original contract was only till January or the original extension,  for however long was scrapped.  The whole episode smells of shite, so for me Gallagher should not be starting games, stick to the players from the last 2 games and use him as a sub if required.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

According to the BBC gossip page yesterday's appearance triggered his contract extension "till at least the summer " was the phrase used, so either his original contract was only till January or the original extension,  for however long was scrapped.  The whole episode smells of shite, so for me Gallagher should not be starting games, stick to the players from the last 2 games and use him as a sub if required.

None of that makes sense because unless he goes to some foreign league that works outside of the recognised transfer windows then of course he is with us until the summer.  If his contract was only until January then he couldn’t have played yesterday.

He was always contracted to the summer, I have no idea if there was ever an appearances clause.

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Cannot agree with the above. 

He is our Captain and a Scotland International. He should be starting over a 20 yr old with a couple of appearances.

Much like SOD was picked ahead of Johnston. It is a no brainer. 

Johnston and recently Magloire have played OK but we are not out of the mire just yet. 

So many rumours around the Gallacher contract. And no one seems to have the definitive view / answer. I have no issues whatsoever if Gallacher has tried to get a more favourable contract. As long as he or his agent have not played funny buggers. Time will tell what has happened. If there is a contract extension then hopefully he gets a decent move in the summer and we get a decent fee. A win win.

28 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

If there is a contract extension then hopefully he gets a decent move in the summer and we get a decent fee. A win win.

1- He is out of contract in the summer so we will  get nothing for him.

2 - His commitment to the club has to be questioned after whoring himself to other clubs, specifically celtic during the transfer window, 

3- I firmly believe there was a extension clause for at least another season after this season, so this seems to have been removed and coincidentally he is fit again and ready to play.

4 - As I say the whole episode stinks, he no longer wants to be at the club, and that's not the kind of player we need right now. He wants to be in the Scotland squad so will he be fully committed to Motherwell throwing himself into tackles etc and risking Injury, I would like to think so but I have major doubts he will be.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I've got no info on this but i wonder if he was suspended by the club for the long three weeks he tweeted about which would explain why he wasn't with the other players in the stand against St Johnstone?

I hadnt considered this, but I suppose it is a possibility. If that is the case then it would be good to see that the club have shown the backbone that others have alleged is missing from our board, despite the fact that, from a playing sense, it did weaken us on the field. Given our performances after GA arrived, does this explain the drop in levels in the Hamilton and St Johnstone games and why they have improved now it has been sorted? All conjecture. I just hope if it was a problem, it is now behind us and we can move on.

23 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I hadnt considered this, but I suppose it is a possibility. If that is the case then it would be good to see that the club have shown the backbone that others have alleged is missing from our board, despite the fact that, from a playing sense, it did weaken us on the field. Given our performances after GA arrived, does this explain the drop in levels in the Hamilton and St Johnstone games and why they have improved now it has been sorted? All conjecture. I just hope if it was a problem, it is now behind us and we can move on.

A good analysis but given that the original point was made up perhaps it wasn’t required 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

1- He is out of contract in the summer so we will  get nothing for him.

2 - His commitment to the club has to be questioned after whoring himself to other clubs, specifically celtic during the transfer window, 

3- I firmly believe there was a extension clause for at least another season after this season, so this seems to have been removed and coincidentally he is fit again and ready to play.

4 - As I say the whole episode stinks, he no longer wants to be at the club, and that's not the kind of player we need right now. He wants to be in the Scotland squad so will he be fully committed to Motherwell throwing himself into tackles etc and risking Injury, I would like to think so but I have major doubts he will be.

Is this all fact ? You know all of this is 100% true. 

There was an extension trigger but the club removed for some reason and now he is free to leave in the summer ?

Again - you know this to be factually accurate and EXACTLY how it went down ? 

• Haha 1

We’re still in a relegation fight and as such need our best players on the pitch regardless of what happens in a few months. Taking the huff and not playing him is not going to make a lot of sense if it ends up costing us a place in the top flight. Let’s be sensible about this and place the clubs position in the Premiership ahead of personal opinions on his behaviour, even more so given that  no one has actually been able to come and prove if  any of the allegations being made are true.

All that matters is staying in this league, Gallagher will be forgotten pretty quickly whatever happens.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Is this all fact ? You know all of this is 100% true. 

There was an extension trigger but the club removed for some reason and now he is free to leave in the summer ?

Again - you know this to be factually accurate and EXACTLY how it went down ? 

I know it's all true. So do a few other people who post on here but they are not saying it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

I know it's all true. So do a few other people who post on here but they are not saying it.

Well then that is disappointing. 

I am not sure I believe the club would have simply removed a clause that could possibly make us £500k+ in the summer.

But you and Spiderpig and others have spoken. 

Will still be curious to see what happens in the future. 

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Magloire and Lamie have consecutive clean sheets. I don't see Alexander changing it. 

He seems like a fairly straightforward manager. If you perform well you play, if you don't it's a long way back. 

Which, if you're consistent with, is very hard to argue with and something players will react to.

Good chance to show that here by not changing the back 4 who have kept two clean sheets and played well. Not mentioning Kelly as he starts regardless, though now I've mentioned it would you bring in Morrison for game time once we're safe or stick with Kelly who's playing well and with an outside shout of going away with Scotland but is gone at the end of the season? Turns out its not even easy to be straightforward.