Season 2020’21: Game 32: Livingston (H)

Andy_P

I think this is a good time to face Livingston.

Often when a team wins a trophy their form drops off afterward.  And of course if they lose their confidence will be down.

But without wishing to be disrespectful we should be winning at home against Livingston anyway if we want to do anything at this level of football.  

Livingston are a decent enough team, 5 or 6 of their players would walk into our team, but it's just the reality for us that we need to win home matches against bottom and mid league teams.  We have to make it happen and I think we will make it happen.

And if we can go on to 35 points and then don't lose at Kilmarnock then I think we are more or less safe at that point.  I mean, I think we are already probably safe but that would basically sign of another year in the Premiership.

Livingston trying to fit a bender around a Rangers game could see a rag tag bunch turn up at Fir Park.  We should win this if we apply the same energy as the last two games.  However the must not lose game is the Kilmarnock one, that could condemn them to finishing below us which can’t be bad.

Hopefully Livingston win the cup and go out on the lash and stop drinking at lunchtime on Saturday!

That said, we really need St Johnstone to do us a favour on Wednesday v Accies. An Accies win there puts the cat amongst the pigeons for sure.

I still reckon we need another couple of wins to guarantee 10th or above so hopefully we get another one here then at least a point v Killie.

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Out of curiosity, which 5 or 6 of their players would walk into our team? 

Bartley, Pittman, Forrest, Guthrie....I think their full backs have been better than ours so you could have Devlin and Serrano in there.  I'd also say Mullin is probably better than any wide player we have at the moment.  Efe Ambrose would probably start in our team and are guys like Sibbald, Lawson, Holt, lesser players than Crawford, O'Hara, Maguire, Polworth etc? Don't think so. Crawford is here because he hasn't featured at Livingston this season.

If you look at most teams outside the Top 4 you could probably pick 4 or 5 from each that would play for any other team and the reason for that is there really isn't a lot between any of the teams.

Livingston losing today should help us. They should be drained emotionally from losing a cup final and the physical energy expended will have been tough. Bartley looks like he picked up a knock and could be doubtful. He was struggling towards the end.  The fact that they have a game midweek against Rangers means they wont have any time to recuperate. A heavy defeat on top of all that could play into our hands. 

All that said, we need to ignore that and focus on getting the same level of performance we showed against St Mirren and Hibs. If we do that we have a right good chance to win the game.

Their bubble has burst and their season is effectively over, a top six finished secured so no threat of relegation, and they won't get near the European places so nothing left to play so the performance level might drop.

All of which should favour us and if we continue playing as we have done the last 2 games then I can see a good win for us.

36 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Their bubble has burst and their season is effectively over, a top six finished secured so no threat of relegation, and they won't get near the European places so nothing left to play so the performance level might drop.

All of which should favour us and if we continue playing as we have done the last 2 games then I can see a good win for us.

Calm yer jets .

5 th place secures a Euro spot. Therefore Livi have a lot to play for. Also, considering they are only 8 points behind Aberdeen and have 2 games in hand there's a chance they could get 4th.

4 hours ago, livivoice said:

Calm yer jets .

5 th place secures a Euro spot. Therefore Livi have a lot to play for. Also, considering they are only 8 points behind Aberdeen and have 2 games in hand there's a chance they could get 4th.

Not so sure about 5th place getting Europe

Scotland will now have two sides in the UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds. The winners of the Scottish Premiership will enter from the Third Qualifying Round and the second placed team in this season’s Scottish Premiership will enter from the Second Qualifying Round.

In the Europa League, there will be one place granted to the winners of the 2020/21 Scottish Cup and the club will enter into the Third Qualifying Round of the competition.

The clubs who finish in third and fourth place of the Scottish Premiership will enter into the newly created UEFA Europa Conference League from the Second Qualifying Round.

The only way I can see 5th getting Europe is if any of the top 4 win the cup, then 5th might get the cup place, or 3rd gets the cup place and 4th and 5th get the conference league spots, but I can't find any info confirming that.

Not sure if Livi have better players but they have proven to be a better team than us thus far, hence they are 5th and made it to a cup final.

I admire their consistency in doing the free stuff well. They work hard, play as a team and win more than their fare share of 2nd balls.

We will need to match the free stuff should we wish to get anything from the game.

12 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Not so sure about 5th place getting Europe

Scotland will now have two sides in the UEFA Champions League Qualifying Rounds. The winners of the Scottish Premiership will enter from the Third Qualifying Round and the second placed team in this season’s Scottish Premiership will enter from the Second Qualifying Round.

In the Europa League, there will be one place granted to the winners of the 2020/21 Scottish Cup and the club will enter into the Third Qualifying Round of the competition.

The clubs who finish in third and fourth place of the Scottish Premiership will enter into the newly created UEFA Europa Conference League from the Second Qualifying Round.

The only way I can see 5th getting Europe is if any of the top 4 win the cup, then 5th might get the cup place, or 3rd gets the cup place and 4th and 5th get the conference league spots, but I can't find any info confirming that.

It is the general view that the Scottish Cup will not take place this season. Thus 5th secures a European place,

21 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Bartley, Pittman, Forrest, Guthrie....I think their full backs have been better than ours so you could have Devlin and Serrano in there.  I'd also say Mullin is probably better than any wide player we have at the moment.  Efe Ambrose would probably start in our team and are guys like Sibbald, Lawson, Holt, lesser players than Crawford, O'Hara, Maguire, Polworth etc? Don't think so. Crawford is here because he hasn't featured at Livingston this season.

If you look at most teams outside the Top 4 you could probably pick 4 or 5 from each that would play for any other team and the reason for that is there really isn't a lot between any of the teams.

I think 5 or 6 is a bit of a stretch, other than Pitman and possibly Guthrie I don't think any of them are much better than what we have, Possibly on par but they certainly don't walk into our team.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

Tony Watt will never score again.  So many times this season I have queried why he didn’t use his left foot.  Now I know.

Doesn't matter. He' going to provide the final pass for 9 of them.

Three points here would surely secure a 10th place finish at worst. Would also like to see us competing for 7th, along with the additional prize money that comes with it. Considering how badly I had the fear after the St Johnstone game it's nice to know we've turned it around and can consider competing for 7th now.

Gonna go 3-1 to us, all three strikers scoring, and Alexander sent to the stand.