Season 2020’21: Game 32: Livingston (H)

Andy_P

40 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

In recent games yes they were, we seem to forget how to play in matches against them.

For me Hamilton games over the last couple of seasons are perfect examples of where we look a very poor team when we are not pressing and keeping up that high tempo, all of our  better performances have not come from having better quality players but our attitude on the day. For some reason our players are unable to raise their game for the Derby the way Accies are, no idea why in truth other than it seems to matter more to them.

14 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

For me Hamilton games over the last couple of seasons are perfect examples of where we look a very poor team when we are not pressing and keeping up that high tempo, all of our  better performances have not come from having better quality players but our attitude on the day. For some reason our players are unable to raise their game for the Derby the way Accies are, no idea why in truth other than it seems to matter more to them.

Exactly Yorky, take away the 9 points they've got from us and they would already be away. Shows just how pish they've been in general.

Accies have 2 goals every season in the Premiership. One is to survive and the other is to beat us. The derby has always been more important to them than it is to us. I think most fans, rightly or wrongly, would rather see us beat Hearts for example, than beat Accies in a season.

While it's a cliché that the "form book goes out the window" in derbies, it is certainly true. However,  we have poor performances across a season - it's just that we notice the ones against Accies for the obvious reasons.

Over the years, I have seen us win comfortably against them many times. In fact the last away game I attended was the 3 -1 game at the start of the 2019/20 season where we strolled it in the sunshine from start to finish.

It'll be a real test for us and GA tomorrow. As we all know Livingston won't come to Fir Park to entertain viewers; they'll defend well in an organised and uncompromising manner; rely on the long ball and long throw ins. They won't give much away. Our midfield will need to be up for a real street scrap.  In short just the type of game thats given us trouble this season.

Does GA stick with the same back 4(assuming everybody's fit) that's had 2 clean sheets and looked pretty solid or does he bring in Gallagher to start.

Think he'll leave Magloire out for Dec personally but wouldn't be too surprised if he stuck with a winning team. 

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It'll be a real test for us and GA tomorrow. As we all know Livingston won't come to Fir Park to entertain viewers; they'll defend well in an organised and uncompromising manner; rely on the long ball and long throw ins. They won't give much away. Our midfield will need to be up for a real street scrap.  In short just the type of game thats given us trouble this season.

Just out of curiosity, Dave, is there a team in the league you don't consider to be stronger physically and more streetwise than Motherwell?  No matter who our manager has been and who we have in our team, you always seem to feel that the opposition (no matter who they are) are cannier, stronger and steetwise. Not saying it's never the case, but it can't be the case every week surely....

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Just out of curiosity, Dave, is there a team in the league you don't consider to be stronger physically and more streetwise than Motherwell?  No matter who our manager has been and who we have in our team, you always seem to feel that the opposition (no matter who they are) are cannier, stronger and steetwise. Not saying it's never the case, but it can't be the case every week surely....

I don't know that Livingston are physically stronger than us, Greg. They do have an abrasive and combative midfield though - maybe an attitude of mind? Both Robbo and GA have commented in the past that we need to get more streetwise and manage games better. Certainly we have improved a bit since the management change. Maybe our squad is a wee bit younger and inexperienced than others? 

42 minutes ago, santheman said:

Does GA stick with the same back 4(assuming everybody's fit) that's had 2 clean sheets and looked pretty solid or does he bring in Gallagher to start.

Think he'll leave Magloire out for Dec personally but wouldn't be too surprised if he stuck with a winning team. 

He should absolutely be picking Gallagher.

For me, if Gallagher is match fit he has to play. Harsh as it may seem on Magloire who has done well in the last couple of games. It’s a  similar situation to when O’Donnell came back in for Johnston despite the latter having played well.  We need our best and most experienced players on the pitch given the situation we’re in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Is  Carroll available? That was some knock he took last week.

Magliore had a solid game last week, while Gallacher almost sold the jerseys  when he came on. I don't see how you can start Gallacher unless we're moving to a back 3.

If we did go to a back 3 you'd think it would be Roberts that dropped out, which is harsh on him.

Cant see Roberts being dropped at all.

He has been a shining example in our last 2 games of everything we didnt do against Hamilton and St Johnstone.

Dont get me wrong, I dont think Watt or Cole deserved to be dropped either, but Iif I had to pick one, it wouldnt be Roberts.

Personally, I think a straight swap of Gallagher for Lamie or Magliore makes more sense and whilst Lamie has improved significantly the last couple of games and would be very unlucky to be the fall guy, I think Magliore's fabled pace might tip the balance in his favour.