Season 2020’21: Game 32: Livingston (H)

Andy_P

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It maybe doesnt but it does mean that he hasnt had the impact that Killie require to get out of the mess they are in

Very true. My feeling has always been that the squad and individual players were far better than many we’re making out, they simply lacked confidence and new players were not given time to settle in before they were written off. I wonder if Wright is having less of an impact because he’s inherited a weaker group of players. I will say however that Alexander has certainly turned around the performances of the squad he inherited and that’s all that really matters to us. 

15 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Very true. My feeling has always been that the squad and individual players were far better than many we’re making out, they simply lacked confidence and new players were not given time to settle in before they were written off. I wonder if Wright is having less of an impact because he’s inherited a weaker group of players. I will say however that Alexander has certainly turned around the performances of the squad he inherited and that’s all that really matters to us. 

Generally agree with that  but the Accies & StJ games have left me with some worries regarding GA - my preference for the job. 
Just can’t get my head round how the team could be so off the mark two games in a row.

The performance against Accies was shocking and could maybe be written off as a bad day at the office but to follow that with another game where the team looked no different organisationally or aptitude left me gobsmacked. 

16 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Generally agree with that  but the Accies & StJ games have left me with some worries regarding GA - my preference for the job. 
Just can’t get my head round how the team could be so off the mark two games in a row.

The performance against Accies was shocking and could maybe be written off as a bad day at the office but to follow that with another game where the team looked no different organisationally or aptitude left me gobsmacked. 

Can be explained by four changes between those two games and persevering, for one more game, with a system that we can't play. He's completely transformed things with limited personnel changes - I'd say that's a sign of an astute manager rather than anything to worry about. 

• Like 1

Considering the mess he came into this team was ready for the drop!I think he has worked wonders on confidence alone if someone was going to tell me Lamie was going to man of the match shifts and look solid at the back I would have laughed.

I am actually glad the board went with Alexander than  a Tommy Wright its forward thinking and I think this will show in seasons to come a good fit.

We’ll not fully be able to see what GA brings to the job until the summer and he’s been able to build his own team, as he will certainly need to do.

I like him and was impressed when we brought him in, though some of the performances were a concern but we appear to have turned a corner the last few weeks. The attitude and application yesterday and last week was night and day to the Accies and St.J games.

A huge result for us yesterday and thats the bottom line in our position. We also played well, but thats a bonus, although there were aspects of the game that'll concern management. So, in that respect it was job done.

Kelly was again immense although he was left exposed at set pieces. The defence was reasonably solid but looked very vulnerable at set pieces as Livi had 4 or 5 free headers, one of which rattled off the bar. An issue to be addressed. Midfield played reasonably well for the most part but did disappear a bit whilst we were under the cosh. Crawford and Campbell impressed with the latter still going strong at full time with a surging run or two. Barry Maguire was quiet and didn't feature much but that said, he didn't do anything wrong. Good to see the midfield supporting the front men for once - what a difference it made.   The strikers were very impressive with Roberts and Cole outstanding. Both ran themselves done and caused constant hassle and danger for Livi. Our set pieces still give cause for concern though and we'll need to improve that aspect of our game. All in all though, a decent all round team performance. 

Livi played just as we expected and, for all their faults, they kept going to the very end despite a very onerous week. Probably some squad rotation helped. Fortunately they were toothless up front and had to rely on long throws and set pieces.  The ref was very inconsistent with fouls and cards. I didn't see our first penalty claim but will look at it later...if it is shown in the highlights. Had Tiny Wharton been officiating then Watt would have seen out the full 90 minutes. By modern standards, both Long with his card and presumably Fitzwater with his critical foul were unlucky, but that’s random refereeing for you.

Now a chance to recuperate before the Killie game.

2 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

For the St Johnstone game we fielded a reserve side (exception Kelly and Forwards). The application was still missing but no team could be expected to win having 6 or 7 first picks missing. 

Disappointing as it was I was not worried for the reasons listed above.  You simply cannot judge GA on that game. 

we've made massive tactical changes since those 2 games. No more tippy tappy coming out of defence  - that's really helped move us forward. Crawford and Roberts (2 players I wasn't that keen on) have also made a great impact.

Not putting Gallagher straight back in the team has also been a good (and quite brave) move.

He looks like a manager who learns from his mistakes - glad we have him. 

9 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

we've made massive tactical changes since those 2 games. No more tippy tappy coming out of defence  - that's really helped move us forward. Crawford and Roberts (2 players I wasn't that keen on) have also made a great impact.

Not putting Gallagher straight back in the team has also been a good (and quite brave) move.

He looks like a manager who learns from his mistakes - glad we have him. 

Always said it would take time for GA to adapt to a League that hes had no experience of managing in and that includes knowing how far he can go on the touchline.

He's learned fast  apart from the Accies game(I absolve him from the Aberdeen and St Johnstone games where it was more circumstances than bad management).

One things for sure I don't think well see anymore dressing room "shenanigans" with him in charge.

7 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

It maybe doesnt but it does mean that he hasnt had the impact that Killie require to get out of the mess they are in

Aye. I didn't for one moment say Tommy Wright is a donkey.

I didn't want him at Fir Park any time in the past few seasons he was mentioned because I don't want to watch his eye-bleeding style of football.

When we were looking to replace Robinson, however, I thought we needed someone fresh to inject some enthusiasm and new ideas into our team. I didn't think Wright matched either of those requirements and  so far, that has proved to be the case.

Situations like ours, Killie's, Ross County's, Accies' etc, are all about having the right man at the right time. There is no doubt Wright had a lot of success in Perth - I just don't think he was close to what was needed at Fir Park when we were looking for a new gaffer.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:10 PM, Coatsy said:

Sorry cant agree with the Wilson Humphries comment, more interested in nipping out for a fag than teaching

Each to their own I suppose. Wilson Humphries was the only English Teacher I had that could get me interested in the subject, no other one could hold my attention.

We'll except Marjory Nimmo but that had nothing to do with English. :whistling:

On 3/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, weeyin said:

Aye. I didn't for one moment say Tommy Wright is a donkey.

I didn't want him at Fir Park any time in the past few seasons he was mentioned because I don't want to watch his eye-bleeding style of football.

When we were looking to replace Robinson, however, I thought we needed someone fresh to inject some enthusiasm and new ideas into our team. I didn't think Wright matched either of those requirements and  so far, that has proved to be the case.

Situations like ours, Killie's, Ross County's, Accies' etc, are all about having the right man at the right time. There is no doubt Wright had a lot of success in Perth - I just don't think he was close to what was needed at Fir Park when we were looking for a new gaffer.

I just dont get this "Tommy wright eye bleeding style of football. frequently he brought teams to take the piss out of us  and it was by no means eye bleeding stuff.  Particularly remember them horsing us 3-0 at Perth and had us chasing shadows.  

18 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I just dont get this "Tommy wright eye bleeding style of football. frequently he brought teams to take the piss out of us  and it was by no means eye bleeding stuff.  Particularly remember them horsing us 3-0 at Perth and had us chasing shadows.  

and he also regularly gave us 1 or 2 goals of a start before removing oor breeks and skelping oor erses 

4 minutes ago, smiddy said:

and he also regularly gave us 1 or 2 goals of a start before removing oor breeks and skelping oor erses 

Just a well his magic pixie dust doesn't seem to be working too well down at Killie  (although I probably should have posted this after our game)