Graham Alexander

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Mainly because of how much McCall declined as a manager by making Twardzik the number one and starting the season with Josh Law in the 10 position. I think those two moves lost him the dressing room.  Robinson had bad spells all through his tenure, McCall was consistently successful then went off a cliff.

There was also the weird stuff with Boyle threatening to sell us to Nobby Solano, Hutchinson coming in and then Barraclough saying he was here to win the league. 

Aye, when you put it like that....

I think other than a few really bad performances against Killie, St Johnstone and Hamilton I think Alexander has come in and steadied the ship and saved us from the drop.

For me it’s job done.

He has inherited a squad in decline and his job over the summer will be the rebuild (the January signings I am not including as they were panic buys during Covid. All were a risk and most will be punted)

He has made a good start in getting O’Donnell on a long term deal. 

Let’s see what happens in the summer.

• Like 1

What’s that, 6 wins in all competitions in the last 7, pretty decent in my view. Every area of the team has improved and he’s achieved that with minor changes although Kelly has been massive. I like his enthusiasm during games and on the whole the players seem to have taken on board the change of manager with a few of them certainly improving. His win percentage at previous clubs is high and he’s continuing that with us, yes he’s not perfect but he would be nowhere near us if he was. I think we have plenty to look forward to.

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

What’s that, 6 wins in all competitions in the last 7, pretty decent in my view. Every area of the team has improved and he’s achieved that with minor changes although Kelly has been massive. I like his enthusiasm during games and on the whole the players seem to have taken on board the change of manager with a few of them certainly improving. His win percentage at previous clubs is high and he’s continuing that with us, yes he’s not perfect but he would be nowhere near us if he was. I think we have plenty to look forward to.

100%

The football has been pretty awful these past few weeks but we have been winning.  I can still remember back to the first few games of the season when we were dominating possession, playing some decent football and creating many chances and losing to the likes of Ross County, Accies and Dundee United. 

That is now 17 games under Alexander and only 5 defeats. I also believe we have not lost when we have gone ahead in that time.

So when all is said and done he has been a very good appointment so far. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day his remit was to keep us up and he's done that albeit with some eye bleeding football and some strange substitutions.

Tonight's game was dire but know what I couldn't really give a shit, we beat them and that's all that really matters.

Can't wait for next season.

10 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

The only entertaining thing for me in the past 4 months is the league table tonight and Hibs away. The rest has been like paying £1,000 for a lapdance and yer maw comes out

Your maw?

• Haha 1

Just now, grizzlyg said:

GA has kept us up so that will do for starters.  Needs to revamp squad for next season.  Is Polworth injured or has GA hunted him?,   what I will say to GA is ditch those bloody short corners  ..COYW

I thought the corners were ok today, perhaps a bit deep.  They are giving each other the space to get the ball across rather than rolling it 18 inches.

• Like 1

He's done what he was obviously asked to do, keep us up. The standard of football has been pretty dire, but ok, doesn't really matter, given the position we got ourselves into.

Next season it will matter, because it has to. We're no the biggest or the richest,  but that level of performance can't be what we aspire to. Everything's up in the air.

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Easily entertained. We’re going to have some team going by the expectations of some on here.

Before the usual sycophants jump all over this - his was a worthwhile appointment.

• Like 1

Pinched from Twitter.

League table since Alexander’s appointment:

Rangers: 31 pts
Celtic: 30 pts
Motherwell: 24 pts
Hibs: 23 pts
St Johnstone: 21 pts
St Mirren: 21 pts
Livingston: 17 pts
Dundee Utd: 16 pts
Aberdeen: 14 pts
Ross County: 13 pts
Kilmarnock: 11 pts
Hamilton: 9 pts

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Easily entertained. We’re going to have some team going by the expectations of some on here.

Before the usual sycophants jump all over this - his was a worthwhile appointment.

As I’ve already stated on a previous post the entertainment this season has been very poor and as with everyone else I would like to see a better standard of football. Having said that I still think that’s a problem across the whole division with little between the majority of teams. I’m hoping with a smaller squad we may see a slightly better standard of player coming in but I think we need to realise there is not going to be a huge jump in standards, the new contracts given to Crawford and Mugabi give a clear indication of that. The starting point for me every season is a team that are well organised, committed, and fit. Other than that I see technical ability as a bonus, signing none league players from the English leagues is a pretty clear indication of what we are going to see. I’m pretty realistic about the huge gulf between the standard in Scotland football and that of bigger countries who have budgets we can only dream of.

Scottish football is what it is, not the best standard, but it's always been that way. GA  won't be building a team to challenge for the title, for 10 of the 12 premiership teams 3rd , 4th or 5th in the league,  a European place, and a good cup run constitutes a great season.

On the budget we will have as always recruitment will be from the lower leagues in England, Scotland and elsewhere, we have found some great players from there in recent years, but also some utter dross, so given the events of this season we need to choose carefully .

Given his experience and contacts in the English lower leagues I am confident GA and the coaching staff can bring in players who will be a good fit for the team and how he wants us to play,  so here's hoping we can unearth another Higdon or Moult.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

As I’ve already stated on a previous post the entertainment this season has been very poor and as with everyone else I would like to see a better standard of football. Having said that I still think that’s a problem across the whole division with little between the majority of teams. I’m hoping with a smaller squad we may see a slightly better standard of player coming in but I think we need to realise there is not going to be a huge jump in standards, the new contracts given to Crawford and Mugabi give a clear indication of that. The starting point for me every season is a team that are well organised, committed, and fit. Other than that I see technical ability as a bonus, signing none league players from the English leagues is a pretty clear indication of what we are going to see. I’m pretty realistic about the huge gulf between the standard in Scotland football and that of bigger countries who have budgets we can only dream of.

Good post Yorky. Now that we're safe I'd like to see us change our approach for the remaining 3 league games. I get that there's a bit of cash up for grabs for finishing 7th or 8th and we mustn't ignore that. However now that Graham Alexander has  achieved his first objective, I hope he changes things a bit and gives game time to a youngster or two. For me that's his next objective developing young players  in line with our business model.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Scottish football is what it is, not the best standard, but it's always been that way. GA  won't be building a team to challenge for the title, for 10 of the 12 premiership teams 3rd , 4th or 5th in the league,  a European place, and a good cup run constitutes a great season.

On the budget we will have as always recruitment will be from the lower leagues in England, Scotland and elsewhere, we have found some great players from there in recent years, but also some utter dross, so given the events of this season we need to choose carefully .

Given his experience and contacts in the English lower leagues I am confident GA and the coaching staff can bring in players who will be a good fit for the team and how he wants us to play,  so here's hoping we can unearth another Higdon or Moult.

Contacts? Brings in players who are a good fit? Like Eddie Nolan? That’s correct, the very same player who has never trained at the club? That’s on GA. You’ll see why some don’t share your confidence...

6 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Contacts? Brings in players who are a good fit? Like Eddie Nolan? That’s correct, the very same player who has never trained at the club? That’s on GA. You’ll see why some don’t share your confidence...

I'm convinced Eddie Nolan doesn't actually exist.

While it's entertaining extrapolating one January signing to represent every future piece of business a manager is likely to do (and easy to use to support any views you might have, good or bad) it's not exactly a huge sample to form an opinion.

If you'd told the fans in Janaury that we'd be guaranteed league safety in April and in the Cup quarter finals, I think most of us would have taken it.

Once he's reassembled a team for next season we'll have a better idea of where we're headed.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

You surname isnae Polworth by any chance?! :-)

• Haha 3